The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2024, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default EV30m Vocal Settings

One thing that I’m struggling with on my EV30m is getting the warm, smooth vocal sound that I really liked with my Bose products. I found what I was looking for on my Everse 8 by using the ND76 Vocal preset and really liked the result. I went in this morning to duplicate this on my EV30m and was surprised to find it wasn’t there. I did manage to stumble on a preset that was pleasing by using the Cory Wong guitar preset for my vocal mic but it isn’t as good as the ND76 Vocal preset. First why isn’t this preset available on the 30m, and what can I do to replicate it? (I really don’t want to use a Mic Mechanic or anything like that because I’m loving the plug and play.)
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-23-2024, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Without actually lighting up my 30m and Everse 8 to compare everything actually in there, I can tell you that the Everse came out after the 30m/50m and they added some things that a normal person would think are oddly missing on the stick PAs. My favorite example is phantom power, which on the sticks is only 15v, while the battery-powered Everse has the full 48v. In that case I think EV was responding to puzzled and annoyed customers.

Another example--"confirming" via Demo mode right now, again not live--is that the Everse lets you choose between graphic equalization and parametric (GEQ v. PEQ). The sticks, at least my 30m in Demo mode, only have an off/on toggle for GEQ.

I don't know how much any of this has been or will be addressed by firmware updates (and of course, I doubt the low phantom power can be added that way). I'm lucky in that I'm pretty content with my vocal tweaking of my Sennheiser e935. I think in that case a big reason is, that mic just happens to suit my voice very well. I don't know how to duplicate the setting you want. My understanding of the presets is that they're just pre-loaded EQ curves so in theory you could duplicate it with extreme amounts of patience, but I wouldn't envy trying that.

(I swear I saw a marketing image showing a much-improved digital display on the back of the new Everse 12 on Sweetwater, but checking what's there now, and on a couple promo/review videos, they're showing the awful legacy display that's been used since probably the 50. Betcha that was an accidental glimpse of one of the next upgrades they have in mind, for who knows what.)

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-23-2024 at 12:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification