The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-27-2023, 10:42 AM

Default Head Plate Truss Rod Install Video, Tutorials, Tips?

Never done one before and was wondering if there's a good video tutorial or any tips and tricks to install a truss rod from the head plate.

Thank You
Old 12-27-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHawes View Post
Never done one before and was wondering if there's a good video tutorial or any tips and tricks to install a truss rod from the head plate.

Thank You
You may find my method interesting, as I route a 1/4" wide channel extending into the head stock. This allows me to insert or remove a double acting rod at any time should it become necessary later on. It makes the pocket cover a bit longer, but the benefit outweighs that slight disadvantage. Not all truss rods are uniform in width, but the older LMI rods as well as th Bitterroot rods work fine.

You can find the details on the construction print that is posted here in pdf form.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579732

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-27-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You may find my method interesting, as I route a 1/4" wide channel extending into the head stock. This allows me to insert or remove a double acting rod at any time should it become necessary later on. It makes the pocket cover a bit longer, but the benefit outweighs that slight disadvantage. Not all truss rods are uniform in width, but the older LMI rods as well as th Bitterroot rods work fine.

You can find the details on the construction print that is posted here in pdf form.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579732
Thank you Rudy and indeed interesting. Never seen that before but am interested in the more traditional methods, if there is such a thing. Thank You again.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:11 AM

BTW I have a couple of LMI truss rods with the larger width near the adjustment nut. Went to their site and don't see the design I have. Older model? Dunno.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair