The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-16-2018, 03:15 AM

Default Zoom A3 - favourite compressor setting?

I know I'm probably shooting in the dark here, but a shout out to zoom A3 users!

Recently I've turned to my A3 once again in church to try to get my quiet guitar solos to sound louder ,via the compressor route.. I've not been able to decide which compressor effects to use, and how to get the right settings to bring down the strumming volume, so that I can bring up the overall k
volume for my quiet solo passages.

Anyone uses the A3 compressor for this purpose, and care to share your settings?

Last edited by silverspear; 10-16-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Compressors take the dynamics out and don't really make things louder though they give the impression that they are.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-16-2018, 06:38 AM

It sounds like you need a volume pedal or do what lead players have been doing for decades - simply dial up your volume a bit prior to starting your solo. You do, however, call it a "quiet solo passage".
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Compressors take the dynamics out and don't really make things louder though they give the impression that they are.
Well yes and no .. Yes using just the compression feature usually brings down the peak level . BUT if you have a "Make up gain " feature, you can definitely increase the overall db's at output.

I am wondering why the OP cannot just set the level he likes for the strumming parts and then use the boost switch on the A3 for his solo parts ?
That is one of its specific design functions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-17-2018, 04:45 AM

I don't have a Zoom, but a little compression goes along way. But to another poster's point, once you compress your guitar, you have to bring the overall volume up slightly to make up what you reduced when compressing. I'm a fan for using a little "always on" compression in a band situation to cut thru in the mix.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:49 AM

I'm not denouncing the use of the boost pedal in the A3, but it's not convenient to keep switching the boost on and off within a song.

thus my preference for a set-and-forget compressor setting. I do know that I need to raise the volume when I apply compressor.. for me,that's the whole point.

back to topic, would appreciate zoom user's inputs if you use any compressor.. thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 AM

I saw the title and thought, hmm, how many posts before someone says "Don't use compressors." I guessed wrong by about three.

When it comes rules and tradition and hide-boundedness, I'm down with all that when it comes to Real Ale. But that's about it.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD