The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-28-2018, 03:11 PM

HAHA, that is exactly where Ben and I started yesterday, Snakewood blocks that were the side markers and then wrapped up to become fingerboard markers. He mocked it up and we did not like it and there was an end grain issue....so from there my suggestion was just a flat bound inlay with snakewood on the fret board, but then it became too busy and which frets to do and it did not tie in with the rest of the guitar. Then we tried off setting them which was better, but still not quite right, so after pulling out what little hair I have left, we gave up LOL.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
HAHA, that is exactly where Ben and I started yesterday, Snakewood blocks that were the side markers and then wrapped up to become fingerboard markers. He mocked it up and we did not like it and there was an end grain issue....so from there my suggestion was just a flat bound inlay with snakewood on the fret board, but then it became too busy and which frets to do and it did not tie in with the rest of the guitar. Then we tried off setting them which was better, but still not quite right, so after pulling out what little hair I have left, we gave up LOL.

Yeah, Tom, it’s interesting that, when you try to visualize how something is going to look, and then you try it, it turns out to not look anything like your preconceived notion. So you just have to try a few iterations, until you come up with something that rings the bell.

Mike and I have arrived at a consensus for this fingerboard. It’s all prepped for surgery now, and if I can maintain concentration, I might get this all done by 8:00 PM or so. Here’s what I’m looking at now:IMG_1535492696.709038.jpg
Old 08-28-2018, 03:48 PM

I have complete confidence in you Steve!!!! May the force be with you.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Here are some preliminary photos of the neck construction. I hope to have some pics of the fingerboard inlay later today. The neck is some nice old, dense Honduran Mahogany, with a black/Aniegre/black center lam. Neck joint is a bolt-on mortise and tenon. Truss rod access is through the sound hole. The fingerboard and headstock have Zebra wood purflings and Ebony bindings all around. Front head plate is Ebony, and the back head plate is Macassar Ebony. The frets will be my favorite, Evo Gold, which are harder than Nickel/Silver, but not hard enough to ruin my fretting tools, like stainless steel.Attachment 12381Attachment 12382Attachment 12383Attachment 12384

The neck joint is cut and fitted, so this thing is really starting to look like a guitar now.Attachment 12385Attachment 12386

Stay tuned for more, soon. Once the inlay is done, I’ll glue on the fingerboard and heel cap, and carve the neck. Thanks for looking!
Phew!! Thanks for sharing those, I was going through withdrawals!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 08-29-2018, 11:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Okay, here’s what we came up with for the fingerboard. Small block inlays, with marbled Ebony, framed by cross-grain Zebra wood, and small copper/abalone dots inlaid into the inlays.
Apologies for the low quality of the photos. The shop has several different kinds of lighting competing for dominance, and that doesn’t really show things in their best aspect. The guitar looks much better in person. It’s very close to being a built guitar; at which point I’ll take it over to my house and photograph it properly with photo strobe lighting and an actual camera.
I’m glueing the fingerboard on now, and when that’s all set up, I’ll install the frets and start carving. I think the frets will complete the composition with the fingerboard inlays quite nicely.
First, a shot of the fingerboard, prepped for surgery:IMG_1535561920.747510.jpgIMG_4390.jpgIMG_0588.jpgIMG_0589.jpgIMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpg
Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Gluing on the fingerboard...IMG_0593.jpg
Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 PM

Very unique and cool guys. Love the Apollo fingerboard pattern! And copper is always cool! I guess my confidence in you Steve was not misplaced haha!!!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 08-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Very unique and cool guys. Love the Apollo fingerboard pattern! And copper is always cool! I guess my confidence in you Steve was not misplaced haha!!!
Not misplaced at all! I did ask Steve if we could make a modification to the inlay at the 12th fret, and in typical style, Steve said, “No problem”. I worry that I am going to make him mad, he just shrugs off my requests and makes them happen. This has been such an easy and natural process, I can’t speak highly enough if how Steve is working with me through each phase.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Steve has made some progress, he redesigned his bridge. It still has Steve’s signature style, but a bit more subtly so. I’m sure we’ll be treated to some photo updates within a few days.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good looking Mike and Steve!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-05-2018, 10:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

We’ve had a bit of heavy weather down here on the Gulf Coast- tropical storm Gordon- very briefly a hurricane- so our ordinary flow of events got mildly disrupted. But I did get the new bridge made before the storm hit. Here are a couple down ‘n dirty workbench photos of it, before I hunkered down at home to watch a movie while the winds and rain were (feebly) raging outside ...IMG_4405.jpgIMG_4406.jpg
And here’s a comparison to the Element bridge, to show you what’s different.IMG_4398.jpg
Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 PM

What a gorgeous guitar this is turning out to be! I have very good friends who moved to Birmingham two years ago. Saw them last night and they invited me to visit them. Thinking of taking them up on this offer and if I do, I trip to you and two hands guitars maybe on the agenda!

This is just beautiful!

beth
Old 09-05-2018, 11:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
What a gorgeous guitar this is turning out to be! I have very good friends who moved to Birmingham two years ago. Saw them last night and they invited me to visit them. Thinking of taking them up on this offer and if I do, I trip to you and two hands guitars maybe on the agenda!

This is just beautiful!

beth

Thank you for your kind words!
That would be great, Beth. We like having visitors. We’re getting pretty well known around here. Luthiers are an exotic species in these parts, and as rare as unicorns.
Just want to be sure you know, I’m not in Birmingham anymore, but in Fairhope, on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. That’s about a five hour drive south of B’ham.
Thanks for looking!
Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Very nice rosette and bridge, Steve!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Good looking Mike and Steve!
Thanks Ryan! Steve is really hitting all the high points for me on this. I appreciate the nice comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
We’ve had a bit of heavy weather down here on the Gulf Coast- tropical storm Gordon- very briefly a hurricane- so our ordinary flow of events got mildly disrupted. But I did get the new bridge made before the storm hit. Here are a couple down ‘n dirty workbench photos of it, before I hunkered down at home to watch a movie while the winds and rain were (feebly) raging outside ...Attachment 12735Attachment 12737
And here’s a comparison to the Element bridge, to show you what’s different.Attachment 12736
Thanks for posting these, Steve, and so glad the storm was more drizzle than downpour! I like Steve's style, but wanted the "wings" of the bridge to be less pronounced. Steve asked if I could show him a few bridges that I like, had said he had been looking for an opportunity to design a different bridge as an option for clients, and came up with this model. It was one sketch and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post

This is just beautiful!

beth
Thank you, Beth! I envy your opportunity. After getting to know Steve, and Joel as well, I can't think of two nicer hosts. I hope you get to make that trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Very nice rosette and bridge, Steve!
Thanks very much, and I appreciate you following along!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop