The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-27-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I'll modify this post as a running tally for those interested.
Should be interesting to see how much this all adds up to!
All costs shown in Australian Dollars (AUD)

Edit - Final costings listed below!!

Course - $3,850 - Includes standard hard case(I booked before this was changed to an optional extra) and Cutaway
Flight TAS to QLD - $140
Flight QLD to TAS - $325
Pickup - $466 - Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
Case Upgrade to a Hiscox - $200
Tuning Machines Upgrade to Gotoh 510's - $80
Accommodation - $715 - Got a great place on AirBnB just around the corner from the course!
Food & General Expenses - Approx $900 - Includes some accessories I purchased including a Dehumidifying System for the case

Total Final Cost - $6,676.00 AUD - Australian Dollars.
Final update of the costs involved, all in Australian Dollars. Certainly not a cheap exercise, but one I would repeat without any hesitation at all if the funds were available again!
Sure, there are a couple of faults, some things I would have done differently after seeing how they turned out etc, take more time on some things, and less on others, which just makes me want to do the course again!!
I could never reach this level of quality just by myself without Aaron's help, and I can just imagine how much more additional money I would be looking at to gain access to his comprehensive list of workshop machinery and jigs in order to replicate this quality in my own shed!

So what's next? Hmmm, maybe it's time to hit the recording studio and get my debut solo album together??!! But first, save some money!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-28-2018, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Do the recording and use the profits for the next build!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Do the recording and use the profits for the next build!
I like the way you think Colin!!
Old 10-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Thought I might provide a bit of an update.
Last night was the Tasmanian Independent Country Music Awards night, and as a winner of the Most Popular New Talent award from last year, I was asked to perform at this years event.
This year, I was up for the Most Popular Male Vocalist, and was in the final three, just missing out on the gong. So, while I wasn't the winner, being nominated was a real honour.

The most emotional part of the night though was being asked to present my Father with his Induction as a Legend of Tasmanian Country Music. He has performed around the state for around 60yrs, and has done so mostly without any interest in gaining recognition for his efforts. We somehow kept it secret from him, and while I knew I would be emotional, we feared that he would also be too emotional if we presented him with the award before he performed.

While I was a blubbering mess, he was quite composed.
One little anecdote that I mentioned was a small event in the mid 70's where he was plucked out of the crowd to perform a couple of songs at. While waiting to go on stage, he was talking with the lead guitarist and he asked him if he knew the intro to a particular song. The guitarist assured him it would be no problem. Dad stepped up to the mic, and the then promptly forgot his words when Tommy Emmanuel opened up with a perfect intro!!

Later in the night, I had my second go on stage to perform my 2 songs, Eddie Rabbit's old classic, "I Love a Rainy Night", and Dan Seal's "Everything that Glitters". My new guitar performed beautifully, my voice thankfully didn't waver, and the band followed so closely, it was just as perfect as it could be!

I had so many people asking about my guitar, what brand it was, and also wondering how on earth I was able to build it myself!! I couldn't help but start beaming as soon as someone asked me about it.

I'll be doing a more in depth review of the guitar in the coming weeks, and thanks again for following along!

Last edited by Zandit75; 02-11-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Thought I might provide a bit of an update.
Last night was the Tasmanian Independent Country Music Awards night, and as a winner of the Most Popular New Talent award from last year, I was asked to perform at this years event.
This year, I was up for the Most Popular Male Vocalist, and was in the final three, just missing out on the gong. So, while I wasn't the winner, being nominated was a real honour.

The most emotional part of the night though was being asked to present my Father with his Induction as a Legend of Tasmanian Country Music. He has performed around the state for around 60yrs, and has done so mostly without any interest in gaining recognition for his efforts. We somehow kept it secret from him, and while I knew I would be emotional, we feared that he would also be too emotional if we presented him with the award before he performed.

While I was a blubbering mess, he was quite composed.
One little anecdote that I mentioned was a small event in the mid 70's where he was plucked out of the crowd to perform a couple of songs at. While waiting to go on stage, he was talking with the lead guitarist and he asked him if he knew the intro to a particular song. The guitarist assured him it would be no problem. Dad stepped up to the mic, and the then promptly forgot his words when Tommy Emmanuel opened up with a perfect intro!!

Later in the night, I had my second go on stage to perform my 2 songs, Eddie Rabbit's old classic, "I Love a Rainy Night", and Dan Seal's "Everything that Glitters". My new guitar performed beautifully, my voice thankfully didn't waver, and the band followed so closely, it was just as perfect as it could be!

I had so many people asking about my guitar, what brand it was, and also wondering how on earth I was able to build it myself!! I couldn't help but start beaming as soon as someone asked me about it.

I'll be doing a more in depth review of the guitar in the coming weeks, and thanks again for following along!
Wow what a cool story all around especially getting to share it with your father and play your own hand built guitar. I had no idea you were a celebrity. I should pay to fly you in next March right????
Old 10-13-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow what a cool story all around especially getting to share it with your father and play your own hand built guitar. I had no idea you were a celebrity. I should pay to fly you in next March right????
Haha, only a minor local celebrity, even if you can call me that!! I'm just lucky to performing again with quality musicians who make me sound good!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 PM

How cool- what a great experience with your dad and then you get to play your special instrument!

Tasmania isn't that far from Texas....

beth
Old 10-13-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
How cool- what a great experience with your dad and then you get to play your special instrument!

Tasmania isn't that far from Texas....

beth
[emoji16][emoji16]
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Hey, promise to give you some stage time Saturday night!!!!
Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 AM

Thank you Tom!! That would be a tremendous honor!!
Having said that, I'm certainly not on the same playing field as the rest of your lineup!!
I doubt I'll be in a position to attend your first event, but it will certainly be very interested to be there some time in the near future!!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 AM

Fitting way to conclude a build. What a great cherry on the cake for you.

It seems your signature is missing a guitar............

YouTube
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Fitting way to conclude a build. What a great cherry on the cake for you.

It seems your signature is missing a guitar............
Thanks for that Ozzy.
You're right, I should do something about that!!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 AM

Just realised I forgot to mention this....#1 on the Tassie charts with "Everything that Glitters"!!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Fantastic that you could play the guitar at such a special night.

And lots of admirers too....what are you going to say when someone asks if you will build them a guitar?!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Fantastic that you could play the guitar at such a special night.

And lots of admirers too....what are you going to say when someone asks if you will build them a guitar?!
Haha, it's already been asked! I kindly gave them Aaron's details!!
I'm fine with building something for myself and accepting small defects that are part of the learning process, but to have the pressure of making something for another person is too much responsibility for this little black duck!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop