The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 07:01 AM

Default NGD....Well Almost Rogue RA100 Couch/Campfire Guitar

Well first off it's not here quite yet...Sometime today

I was looking for something that I could just leave in different places, toss it in the car... Leave in the cold garage
So I saw the Rogue RA90 watched some youtube reviews and came across one that showed the difference between the RA90 and the RA100 and I just felt the RA100 was worth the added $20 So for $69 delivered I thought what the heck...
So stay Tune for a review of the RA100 straight from the box tonight...
Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 PM

Okay...First off Fit and Finish looks pretty good....

The sound is ok...not a loud guitar but it needs some time to get used to my 45-55% humidity
So far Well worth the $67 bucks I paid...BUT

I've tuned it 3-4 times and it still sounds out of tune just playing cowboy chords.. nothing up the neck all in the first position..

So unless I can figure out what's going on it's going back as a damaged guitar..

Oh Well I tried
Old 10-20-2018, 12:10 AM

Congratulations, and sorry. I've bought 4 Rogues over the past two months for a class I'm teaching (Starter, Concert, RA-090, & RA-100). I've changed strings to Martin CL - smoothed the nut slots (folded 2000 grit sandpaper) and pencil graphite in the slots on the Starter and Concert. Tuning is pretty smooth. I noticed last week I got the "icepick" on the RA-090, & RA-100 which I haven't worked on yet. If you like the guitar, you might try loosening the strings and try smoothing and putting some graphite in the nut slots. I think the CL (11-52) strings may also help the Starter and Concert to not bind at the nut because they feel lighter than the strings they came with. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
Congratulations, and sorry. I've bought 4 Rogues over the past two months for a class I'm teaching (Starter, Concert, RA-090, & RA-100). I've changed strings to Martin CL - smoothed the nut slots (folded 2000 grit sandpaper) and pencil graphite in the slots on the Starter and Concert. Tuning is pretty smooth. I noticed last week I got the "icepick" on the RA-090, & RA-100 which I haven't worked on yet. If you like the guitar, you might try loosening the strings and try smoothing and putting some graphite in the nut slots. I think the CL (11-52) strings may also help the Starter and Concert to not bind at the nut because they feel lighter than the strings they came with. Good luck!
Your probably right, I've got the guitar close and actually it doesn't sound half bad, I mean it's no Martin-Gibson but than it cost less than the tax on those, great starter, couch, campfire guitar for sure
Old 10-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Your probably right, I've got the guitar close and actually it doesn't sound half bad, I mean it's no Martin-Gibson but than it cost less than the tax on those, great starter, couch, campfire guitar for sure
Hi CAS-etc

We've taken about a dozen RA100D guitars into third world countries over the past 2 decades. We play them while there, and leave them with national people with a dozen sets of strings, a clip in pickup and decent gig-bag.

I've used over 20 with local folks who wanted to take group lessons locally and had no guitar. They all have been easy to set-up to play easily, and in the over 40 we've had in our hands, we've never had a dud.

They make great 'camp-fire' instruments.

And compared to other sub-$125 instruments we've also bought and compared them to, they sound better (which is why we chose them). That and we can still order them 20 years later. Many of the other brands have disappeared. We liked the old Johnson guitars, but they are no longer around.

And the comparable Fender or Yamaha are at least $100 more per instrument.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-20-2018, 12:03 PM

For the price, I'm real happy with the sound of the three RAs I have. Most noticeably, they lack the clarity, volume and bass of my Martin Custom D and Seagull S6 (spruce). But, to me they sound louder and more open than some I have (from large, well-known manufacturers) that were just north of a Benjamin. For less than 100, I've been able to add a strap button, strap, and gig bag. They seem to be pretty durable so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion