The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 PM

Default Anyone using an Acoustic amp AND a Bose?

HI all- just wondering- I have a bose l1 model 2 with bass woofer and t4s- absolutely amazing sound- BUT...I miss the beautiful tone of my old AER Compact 60 for my guitar and miss that 'thump' of an amplifier. So Ive been thinking of buying one again and adding it to the chain and DI'ing it out to the BoSE.

Will this work? Is anyone out there using both and how does it work for you?

Thanks!

http://www.indigoacoustic.com
http://www.richardmillnsmusic.com

Last edited by Reggiedadog; 10-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I do. Anytime I need more coverage I line my Fishman Loudbox Performer out into my Bose L1c and it sounds great. I do all my mixing on the amp and send it into the mic input on my Bose.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-16-2018, 11:42 AM

I’ve just bought myself a Marshall as50r for £100 try it out in theory before spending big bucks on an AER so it’s a moot point now anyway.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Shouldn't be a problem in actually sending the signal to the L1... I've patched in an extra T1 unit to my T1>Bose L1 Model II without issue; the only modification was to re-eq the auxiliary T1... Seemed to lose a little "poop" when it was run into my T1.

I think the DI out of the AER into one of the XLR channels on your T4 would work brilliantly!

I have an AER Compact 60/2, but never have considered using it IN ADDITION to the L1... the sound is so pure through my Bose - and I love positioning it behind me, off my left shoulder and being able to hear myself and KNOW that the audience is hearing the same thing as I am...

But, whatever floats your boat... Let us know how it works out for you!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Shouldn't be a problem in actually sending the signal to the L1... I've patched in an extra T1 unit to my T1>Bose L1 Model II without issue; the only modification was to re-eq the auxiliary T1... Seemed to lose a little "poop" when it was run into my T1.

I think the DI out of the AER into one of the XLR channels on your T4 would work brilliantly!

I have an AER Compact 60/2, but never have considered using it IN ADDITION to the L1... the sound is so pure through my Bose - and I love positioning it behind me, off my left shoulder and being able to hear myself and KNOW that the audience is hearing the same thing as I am...

But, whatever floats your boat... Let us know how it works out for you!

Thanks for this. I have no complaints about the Bose sound either. When I play electric I often use two amps in stereo and was thinking of doing the same thing with the Bose. But it is probably overkill to be fair.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 AM

I think it's nice to have the sound spread around. Bigger. Fuller.

When I finish closing a few deals I plan to buy a Bose S1-Pro AND an L1-C and use the S1 for a mixer/preamp and line it out to the L1-C for larger gigs.

I expect it to be GREAT....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I think it's nice to have the sound spread around. Bigger. Fuller.

When I finish closing a few deals I plan to buy a Bose S1-Pro AND an L1-C and use the S1 for a mixer/preamp and line it out to the L1-C for larger gigs.

I expect it to be GREAT....
Murphy - I can't imagine any combination of amplifiers giving a Bose L1 Model II a "bigger, fuller" sound... the Bose L1's have the best dispersion of any unit I have ever used in nearly 50 years of performing.

Seriously, from the tower, you get a full 180 degree spread with zero drop-out or "hot spots"... just full, even sound anywhere in that 180 degree area. I've checked mine with another player using it, and I swear the dispersion seems to go beyond 180 degrees... the thing sounds amazing even around a corner or in an adjacent room.

Overkill, indeed...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Murphy - I can't imagine any combination of amplifiers giving a Bose L1 Model II a "bigger, fuller" sound...

Overkill, indeed...
I'm talking about an S1-Pro and an L1-C (compact) in my situation.

My thinking is the S1 will handle a LOT of smaller rooms either solo, or with another Gent who brings his own rig. If the room is larger or noisier I can simply run a line out to the L1-C and still have two mic inputs (vocals and guitar/or mandolin, /or resonator) without needing to fiddle with or buy a mixer. The S1 would also become the monitor.

Pretty much no effects, SM57 on the instruments ala Dave Rawlings.

It's a brilliant plan, I wish this deal that's funding it was done, but it shouldn't be much longer.

As for the OP, I can also see wanting an acoustic amp for a bigger / in your face stage monitor. I'm used to loud monitors in my face and missing that is one of my fears going to the Bose units.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Murphy Slaw; 10-18-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 AM

You should be able to do it with good results. About 15 years ago, I had a Bose Classic and B1 unit that I used for rock. Obviously you need outboard processing for rock. Being lazy and cheap, I ran the output of a Roland Microcube into the Bose with great results.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiedadog View Post
HI all- just wondering- I have a bose l1 model 2 with bass woofer and t4s- absolutely amazing sound- BUT...I miss the beautiful tone of my old AER Compact 60 for my guitar and miss that 'thump' of an amplifier. So Ive been thinking of buying one again and adding it to the chain and DI'ing it out to the BoSE.

Will this work? Is anyone out there using both and how does it work for you?

Thanks!
R-da-dog

I have heard them ganged together (the guitar amp being fed by the same signal as the Bose) and just the amp being player by itself on stage while the guitar signal was sent to the PA separate from the amp.

Both sounded fine. Just try it…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

For about 5 years, I used a Fishman Loudbox Mini with a direct line out to a Bose L1c. I felt the Fishman added some mids, and I liked having the reverb. When the LBM crapped out, it too Fishman about 3 times longer than they said to repair the power head; in the meantime, I bought a Bose S1 and have been enjoying that even more than the Loudbox Mini (still with a direct line out to the L1c).
Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 AM

I use my Elite Acoustics D6-8 by itself when it can handle it, but point it at myself and send the line out to either one or two (in stereo) S1s if I need a little more. That or I send it to the House PA if there is one. The sound of the D6-8 feeding a stereo pair of S1s is exquisite!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 AM

I have used my 60/3 with my S1 and it sounds excellent
Recently I played my Taylor 814 coco with K&K into the AER and just ran vocals into the S1 and that too was excellent
I really like the simple sound of the S1 for guitar and vocals though
The S1 will wrk with anything I have tried
Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM

I have the S1 and L1c and use it together if necessary.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 AM

so last night I ran the marshall As50 (I know its not a AER but I wanted something cheap to start with- and also something I can leave in my rehearsal room) and to be honest I don't think it really added anything. It felt like I struggled to hear it and when I did the sound was to be fair pretty middy compared to what was coming out of the Bose. Again that could be the amp rather than the setup. I think I'm to bin this idea- maybe keep a lookout for a cheap used second Bose...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification