The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Can you post a picture of an SJ with the dimensions? Thanks.

The SJ is 15.5 across the lower bout (vs 15.25 for OM)

Top row 3rd from left is an SJ, bottom left is an SJ with a cutaway...
Old 10-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post

Nice! Thanks!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post

Hi Ed,

At post #24, Maluaka makes some very interesting comments about his OM and SJ and the woods you used. I think he also mentioned that his guitars appear a little deeper than the conventional measurements for OM-ish guitars. Can you perhaps confirm if this is the case, and if so, how much deeper they might be?
I love the extra body resonance that seems to come from the deeper body of my NL-00. Do you offer 'extra depth' as standard on other guitars or is this something that customers need to specify? Do you have any advice re extra depth - implications, impacts etc? How much of an issue/advantage might it be with the larger dimensions of the OM/SJ bodies?

Sam.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Most end up around 1/4" deeper so not a huge amount, whereas an NL-00 is around 3/4" deeper than you'd expect a normal 00.

If you wanted a significant amount of extra depth you'd need to ask for it.

The implications of extra depth are a slightly slower response and, as you mentioned, a deeper, lower, air resonance. It's only an advantage if that's what you want. If that's not what you want, then it's a disadvantage.

It might make sense on an OM and in fact I've done so (although it had a soundport which counteracts the deeper resonance, so it was a pleasant oddball), but I'm not sure if I'd suggest it for the SJ, since the SJ has a slightly larger soundhole than the OM which raises the main air resonance. So with a deeper body on the SJ you would be counteracting one of the subtle differences that separates the two models.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM

I got "the email" from Ed.

My NL-00 is underway.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Tinker SJ build

Just sent my payment over to start my Tinker SJ build. Here’s the specs for those interested...

Lutz Spruce top
Cocobolo Rosewood back and sides
Ebony fretboard and bridge
Koa inlay dots, bindings on neck, bindings on back and sides

Was going for an OM, but Ed convinced me of his SJ body style. I’m excited for this journey. It’s looking like a 12 month wait, but it’ll make for a great 2018 Christmas present to myself. 😜

Ty
Old 11-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Congratulations on your Tinker order. The specs sounds really great.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Congratulations on your Tinker order. The specs sounds really great.
Thank you! What are your specs for the NL-00?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
Thank you! What are your specs for the NL-00?
Walnut back and sides, lutz top, ebony board and bridge with a 1.75" nut.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Walnut back and sides, lutz top, ebony board and bridge with a 1.75" nut.
That sounds like a nice build! What brought you to choose the NL-00 body shape/size? I’ve never played one myself.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
That sounds like a nice build! What brought you to choose the NL-00 body shape/size? I’ve never played one myself.
I briefly owned a Gibson L-00 Standard which was a really fun guitar to play and sounded really good. I traded it in on my J-45 True Vintage, which is still my most-played guitar (including both acoustics and electrics, I just love it). After a while, I missed the small body and the sound of the L-00, but was intrigued by the extra bass and volume I could get out of the deeper NL-00 body, plus the 13 fret to body design seems quite interesting and I've read really good reviews.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Ed just emailed me last night to say it should be done "in the next day or so"

Yes, I am excited.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Ed just emailed me last night to say it should be done "in the next day or so"

Yes, I am excited.

Whaaaaaat?! That’s great news! I expect a NGD post! [emoji3]
Old 12-21-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that review. I am eagerly awaiting word from Ed that mine is underway, as I expect it will be soon.
Hi jdto and all others reading the Halcyon/Tinker thread,

Best wishes for Christmas and the NY.

Jdto - On re-reading the thread I note that you have been thinking of ordering a guitar from Ed. I just wanted to say that I think it's important to have a good conversation with him about the sound you want and then make sure you go with both his advice and your own intuition and experience. My Lutz/Walnut NL-00 is the first 'custom' guitar I've ever purchased. Over the course of the ordering and building process I developed all sorts of expectations that evolved constantly as I received advice from Ed and thought more about woods etc.

Ed's guitars are built to a very high specification even though they are essentially unadorned and quite simple in exterior design - so you should have no concerns on that front or regarding playability etc. I believe that Ed's characteristic, overall sound derives to a large extent from his aim to produce a very light, resonant and responsive guitar - so again I don't think you should have any doubts about these qualities.

I'd suggest that any prospective purchaser focus their attention on the actual tonal qualities they are after - warmth, colour, overtones, 'bassiness', richness and 'woodiness', volume etc - and let that guide choice of woods, size, design and handling (fretboard, nut etc).

I suggested to Ed that I was after a very clear finger style sound and that's what he came up with. A guitar that:
- is quite loud, very responsive and resonant, very sensitive and having great dynamic range
- has a sound and quite a strident mid and treble voice
- has a clear and quite balanced bass voice, but I'd say not at all like that I've heard from say a spruce/rosewood Martin 00.
In retrospect I've wondered what my guitar would sound like with lutz/mahogany woods rather than walnut, mahogany lending (to my mind) a warmer, 'dryer' and overall more 'gutsy' and sweeter timbre when driven than walnut.

I subsequently decided that I'd like to try an 'Ed' guitar with a bit more bass, tonal colour and bloom. He advised that I go for his SJ model with a Lutz/RW body. Coincidentally he had a Lutz/Macacauba (similar to EIR) cutaway SJ in stock which seemed to match very much what I was after. It's on its way after Christmas and I'm very much looking forward to its arrival!

I live a long way from Vancouver and it's a bit weird buying a guitar without being able to play it. Ed did send photos and a short sound clip but it's not quite the same has having the instrument there on your lap. However I have a lot of faith in what Ed is doing and in his understanding of what I'm after.

Hope these musings are of assistance,

Sam.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
Hi jdto and all others reading the Halcyon/Tinker thread,

Best wishes for Christmas and the NY.

Jdto - On re-reading the thread I note that you have been thinking of ordering a guitar from Ed. I just wanted to say that I think it's important to have a good conversation with him about the sound you want and then make sure you go with both his advice and your own intuition and experience. My Lutz/Walnut NL-00 is the first 'custom' guitar I've ever purchased. Over the course of the ordering and building process I developed all sorts of expectations that evolved constantly as I received advice from Ed and thought more about woods etc.

Ed's guitars are built to a very high specification even though they are essentially unadorned and quite simple in exterior design - so you should have no concerns on that front or regarding playability etc. I believe that Ed's characteristic, overall sound derives to a large extent from his aim to produce a very light, resonant and responsive guitar - so again I don't think you should have any doubts about these qualities.

I'd suggest that any prospective purchaser focus their attention on the actual tonal qualities they are after - warmth, colour, overtones, 'bassiness', richness and 'woodiness', volume etc - and let that guide choice of woods, size, design and handling (fretboard, nut etc).

I suggested to Ed that I was after a very clear finger style sound and that's what he came up with. A guitar that:
- is quite loud, very responsive and resonant, very sensitive and having great dynamic range
- has a sound and quite a strident mid and treble voice
- has a clear and quite balanced bass voice, but I'd say not at all like that I've heard from say a spruce/rosewood Martin 00.
In retrospect I've wondered what my guitar would sound like with lutz/mahogany woods rather than walnut, mahogany lending (to my mind) a warmer, 'dryer' and overall more 'gutsy' and sweeter timbre when driven than walnut.

I subsequently decided that I'd like to try an 'Ed' guitar with a bit more bass, tonal colour and bloom. He advised that I go for his SJ model with a Lutz/RW body. Coincidentally he had a Lutz/Macacauba (similar to EIR) cutaway SJ in stock which seemed to match very much what I was after. It's on its way after Christmas and I'm very much looking forward to its arrival!

I live a long way from Vancouver and it's a bit weird buying a guitar without being able to play it. Ed did send photos and a short sound clip but it's not quite the same has having the instrument there on your lap. However I have a lot of faith in what Ed is doing and in his understanding of what I'm after.

Hope these musings are of assistance,

Sam.
Hi Sam. Thanks for the message and the kind words. Your advice is sound and I've been through the process with Ed and we settled on the Lutz/Walnut NL-00. I expect I'll be getting it very soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop