The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Tim. I'm going to ponder this
It makes sense that the bass has more relief.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM

Tim,

Interesting concept. Does this allow and is the goal to set the action at a consistent height for all strings?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thanks Tim. I'm going to ponder this
It makes sense that the bass has more relief.
The bass strings moves a greater distance when it oscillates therefore it needs more space to move, especially in the middle of the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Tim,
Interesting concept. Does this allow and is the goal to set the action at a consistent height for all strings?
Hi Jimmy,
No, we still set the action, measured at the 12th, to be lower on the treble side and higher on the bass side. Smaller strings (treble side) oscillate a shorter distance so you can set that side lower. As each string increases in diameter and mass it moves a greater distance and therefore needs more clearance. Differential relief allows for this.

Before, I would set the relief with the truss rod. Now, I sand the relief in the FB before it’s under string tension because I know where the neck will naturally bend because of the way we add differential relief.

I think most successful builders, at our level of experience, have similar woodworking skills. However, if we build 10-20 guitars a year, that doesn’t give us as much experience setting up guitars as someone who makes their living doing sets ups daily. David and Hesh do hundreds and hundreds of sets ups in a year. It’s taken me over 2-1/2 decades to reach similar numbers as they accomplish in a single year. They have shaved years off my learning curve and I am greatfull that they shared their skills and techniques with me.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wax on ... Wax off ...

I highly recommend this product:

Pick guard:

Pick guard surgery:

Bottom lobotomy:

I like to add a felt washer between the strap buttons and the finish for an added layer of protection:

Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Gluing the tea stained nut in:

Sacrificial strings going on:

And a whole lottta shakin' going on under the ToneRite for 72 hours, before the final set up tweaks...
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 PM

Exclamation I need a MacNaught!

After reading through this thread and still loving my 11 year old Adi/Coco McKnight, I think it's time i commissioned a big brother for the POWERHOUSE of a MiniMac that I will keep forever.

Last edited by peteybabes; 01-15-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: tried to add my signature...
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Smile Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hi John and GR14,

Differential Relief is a term that was coined by David Collins of Ann Arbor guitars. He teaches a method of sanding a gradual and transitional relief into the fret board wood. In simplest terms it goes from perfectly flat on the treble side and then transitions to a concave center relief on the bass side. Its one of those mojo techniques that is difficult to put into words and is best taught to a person one on one. He occasionally holds a two day class in his shop in Ann Arbor which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone wanting to improve their set up skills.

Prior to taking their class I was able to set my actions, to what I considered, pretty low but after the class I can set the action significantly lower without buzzing. I had never been able to achieve this low of action before, without fret buzz, which continues to amaze me. I am not bragging on me but rather tooting David's horn and the set up skills he teaches.

The first guitar I built, after taking the class, our customer spec'd medium gauge strings on the guitar with comfortable medium - low playing action. I delivered the guitar with mediums on it and he asked if I forgot to put mediums on it? He thought the strings were light gauge and commented that the guitar played better than any guitar he had ever played, and this gentleman is a guitar teacher and has played a LOT of guitars. All the guitars we have built since we continue to get similar positive feedback.

One of the pictures above shows me putting red marks on the crown of the frets. When I put the (400 grit) sanding beam on top of the frets, I barely move it back and forth a couple of VERY LIGHT strokes then lift it and inspect the top of each fret. What I usually see is some very light faint scratches in the red ink. Its rare now to see any ink totally removed or even a slightly flattened fret that requires re-crowning. This final step confirms the wood is where its supposed to be and that each fret is seated to the same and consistent depth.

This is a method that one cannot achieve perfection if you fret the board before gluing it to the body. Its difficult to explain why not unless you see the technique actually being done in person. It requires the neck to be attached to the body and then you have to systematically load, unload and / or support the neck while sanding different planes of the FB.

The first FB I did this too, while in class, took me MANY hours of sanding. Maybe ~6 hours of sanding and checking and chalking and sanding and checking and chalking ... It doesn't take me that long now that I have more experience but that first one was brutal to get the technique and method right. I only wish I would have done this 25 years ago.
This is BOSS. For those of us who may well play four or five sets in a day, a hundredth of an inch off the string height can be a big help. Thanks Tim.

You are a font of cool info!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteybabes View Post
After reading through this thread and still loving my 11 year old Adi/Coco McKnight, I think it's time i commissioned a big brother for the POWERHOUSE of a MiniMac that I will keep forever.
Perhaps we need to talk soon?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This is BOSS. For those of us who may well play four or five sets in a day, a hundredth of an inch off the string height can be a big help. Thanks Tim.

You are a font of cool info!

Paul
Hi Paul,
Glad I was able to help if even in some small way.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Setting up our super LOW tech photo studio for some final pics:

Bouncing the flash off of a super LOW tech [cardboard] reflector:

A picture, of a picture, of a picture. Say that three times really fast.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we need to talk soon?
i sent you a PM as long as my arm, lol!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Got it and I’ll reply in the morning. It’s been a long day.
Thanks,
Tim...
Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Got it and I’ll reply in the morning. It’s been a long day.
Thanks,
Tim...
Spooking forward to that build thread.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Spooking forward to that build thread.
Well we would be glad to share the project with y'all but it would be a couple years down the road ...
Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Well we would be glad to share the project with y'all but it would be a couple years down the road ...
And I will be glad to share the project with the forum! (I have a name in mind for this build, but want to see what Tim thinks )

Mr. Tim, will mine be a 2021 guitar and what approximate serial # will you be up to at that time?

Last edited by peteybabes; 01-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop