The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I think that each guitar happens to respond best to particular strings, a particular brand, with particular materials (80/20 or PB, or nickel), in a particular gauge. You just have to experiment to find the strings your guitar really likes the best. I have yet to find a "formula" that can be universally applied to any particular body size, scale size, or tone wood.
I totally agree with this. I have an already-on-the-bright-side Collings 000 in sitka/koa that once needed restringing. All I had around were some 80/20's.
All my prior experience told me they were going to be WAY too bright and 'zingy' but I put them anyway and...magic! Turns out they were the perfect string for that guitar.

I learned that you just gotta experiment with gauges, alloys, etc. - every guitar is unique.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM

If a switch to lighter strings results in lost bass, then you've switched to the wrong strings. Find the right strings in a lighter gauge, and the problem will be solved.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
I learned that you just gotta experiment with gauges, alloys, etc. - every guitar is unique.
I agree but I think as a group acoustic guitars are more individualistic than electric guitars, especially solid-body electrics. And their uniqueness appeals to me. So it's different strokes for different individuals.

and for the bass ... as others have said you can fine-tune your strings by working with other gauges and maybe even materials. I really like to use the so-called bluegrass gauge that more or less combines the thicker strings of a medium-gauge with the thinner strings of a light gauge. That allows me to plunk the E and A for those bass runs and gives me a little more freedom on the other strings to try to match the breakneck speed of those leads.

Another thought ... and that is just what it is ... could you not mix the bridge pins and put on a pin on the lower strings that will slightly accentuate the bass? For example, going the other way, I've tried brass pins and I thought they really added to the treble but I didn't like the effect on my bass strings so maybe a mix would help there.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 11-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
How much bass is lost with string change?
No one is going to be able to quantify this for you. Put a lighter set on and judge it for yourself. It's just a set of strings, after all.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-19-2019, 01:49 PM

My 110 has Extra Lights which I really like. The sound is your typical Taylor sound. My 320 hog top has mediums, and that deep base is what made me fall in love with it. But, I hate fingerpicking mediums. I think I'm going to go ahead and experiment, starting with extra lights.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Everyone has different preferences and tastes, and everyone hears things a little differently too. For me, I can't play Medium strings, which lose tone and clarity on my guitars, while others swear by them. As mentioned there are plenty of options, including custom / med-light string configurations, which might be a good solution for you. And try different brands and materials, as well. Not all strings are the same!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
My new Taylor has medium strings. I love the deep base but I prefer lights and extra lights for fingerstyle. I realize I can just experiment but I was wondering if anyone has already experimented. Thanks
The most obvious factor is going to be the brightness of a brand new set of strings vs the 'rolled off' brightness of the old set.

Just because you'll absolutely hear more treble doesn't mean there is less bass.

Bite the bullet and change strings, and don't pass judgement for at least a couple of days worth of playing.

Your fretting hand may just veto your ears objections.

Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion