The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-27-2019, 08:46 AM

Glenn,
I always enjoy your posts and marvel at how well all of your songs are done. This one immediately spoke to me. I love the smooth flow of your Travis picking and this gentle tune. While I doubt that I'll ever be able to play it as smooth as you do, you have inspired me to work hard on my Travis picking technique. Many thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
Glenn,
I always enjoy your posts and marvel at how well all of your songs are done. This one immediately spoke to me. I love the smooth flow of your Travis picking and this gentle tune. While I doubt that I'll ever be able to play it as smooth as you do, you have inspired me to work hard on my Travis picking technique. Many thanks for sharing.
Hi Ghostpicker!

You are most welcome and thank you so much for getting back to me here with such encouragement and kind words! I really do hope this video is helpful to you! That would be the most rewarding!

Best of luck to you Ghostpicker!

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Excellent Lesson, Glenn! It shows the fundamentals and some tasteful embellishments of Travis Picking in creating the mood of a song.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-27-2019, 11:58 AM

Glenn! Not only did you play/sing the song amazingly (I think that's a word) but the time you took to provide the lesson is awesome! The way you broke the picking pattern down will really help me with this style as I have always wanted to learn it. Beautiful day up here in my neck of the woods, Coast?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 10-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Very unselfish of you Glenn. I know it was a lot of work. Thanks for your contributions to this forum.

Mik

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 10-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Excellent Lesson, Glenn! It shows the fundamentals and some tasteful embellishments of Travis Picking in creating the mood of a song.
Thank you SpruceTop!

It's always great to hear from you! Thank you for watching and for your comments here! I hope all is well for you in Rochester!

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Glenn! Not only did you play/sing the song amazingly (I think that's a word) but the time you took to provide the lesson is awesome! The way you broke the picking pattern down will really help me with this style as I have always wanted to learn it. Beautiful day up here in my neck of the woods, Coast?
Hi Marty,

It is a beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest today! For me, too, over by the coast!

Thanks so much for your comments Marty! I hope you do find this helpful! I really wanted to put something together on the Travis pick that is really useful. I'll be interested to know if this video actually helps you learn how to play this!

Enjoy the day Marty! A ton of leaves have fallen all over my yard in last two days!

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
Very unselfish of you Glenn. I know it was a lot of work. Thanks for your contributions to this forum.

Mik
Hi Mike,

Well, thank you! It's good of you to notice, Mike.

There are a bunch of people that make the AGF work, however, not just contributors like you and I, but also all the moderators who give up all kinds of time for this forum. I know what kind of time moderators give up in order to do a volunteer job here because I did it for over 3 years in the past.

Thanks for noting the kind of time it took to put this lesson together. But I do feel humbled, really, because some of the moderators give up that amount of time every week, week after week, for years.

I hope you are well, Mike. I'm doing quite well!

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn. I’ve held off on commenting until I had time to really work through your lesson. You are a wonderful teacher, my friend! Excellent lesson here, very easy to follow and I sure enjoyed it. I’ll echo others here who thank you for what I’m sure was a considerable amount of your time and effort to put this together. Thanks Glenn!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn. I’ve held off on commenting until I had time to really work through your lesson. You are a wonderful teacher, my friend! Excellent lesson here, very easy to follow and I sure enjoyed it. I’ll echo others here who thank you for what I’m sure was a considerable amount of your time and effort to put this together. Thanks Glenn!
Hi Larry!

Thank you for taking the time to go through this instructional video! And thank you, too, for the kind words of encouragement!

I think this was my 26th tutorial video on my YouTube website, so as a result of comments I have received on some of my earlier instructional videos -- some comments that were pretty nasty, actually -- I have learned a few lessons about how to teach in this format while imposing a little less frustration on some viewers who tend toward the impatient.

So thank you again for your kind words. I do think most teachers would agree that you have to keep working at it to become good at it. Some people are better teachers than others, but everyone has to work at improvement and I am certainly no exception.

You are very welcome for this video. I hope that it might do you some good, Larry. I am so glad that you have positive reactions to this!

I hope you are healing well. I know you've gone through quite a physical setback.

- Glenn
Old 11-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Default Thank you

Joining in with the compliments and thanks....great presentation with chord diagrams and multi screens....so many times I'm trying to figure the chord fingering and timing. Great help, thanks for this.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
Joining in with the compliments and thanks....great presentation with chord diagrams and multi screens....so many times I'm trying to figure the chord fingering and timing. Great help, thanks for this.
Hi Dave!

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment here! It's very much appreciated! I hope you find this lesson helpful! It's also cool to see that you are from Anacortes! Beautiful place!

- Glenn
Old 11-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Excellent video, thank you very much Glennwillow. Fair and Square is one of my favourite albums so I'll definitely give this a bash later, have been meaning to learn Clay Pigeons for a while. I do a mean Glory of True Love though!

Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Excellent video, thank you very much Glennwillow. Fair and Square is one of my favourite albums so I'll definitely give this a bash later, have been meaning to learn Clay Pigeons for a while. I do a mean Glory of True Love though!
Hi Foxo!

Thanks for your comments! I am very pleased that you will give this video and try and see if it helps you! Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Love Blaze Foley. Thanks for this.

Having committed a pattern or two to muscle memory, the hardest part for me was breaking those habits and inserting the necessary bit. Good exercise for sure.

If you wanted to take a swing at Sitting By the Road by Blaze, I'd be all ears/eyes.

Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell