The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Guest 928

Good question. Now you have me wondering.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
To not quit a day job do you actually have to have a day job to not quit? Just wonderin’.
As a trophy husband, I still have to earn my keep. Being "arm candy" isn't that much of a burden, but today I was pressed into service as a dryer repairman. I had no idea what happened inside a dryer once you close the door and press "start." The Blonde thinks I am "on call" for this kind of thing. Got as far as I could with it when discovering a messed up wire spring heating element that could have burned the place down. That part should be in on Friday.

Then, I had to pick where to go for a late lunch... BBQ is always a safe (and tasty) bet. It's a lot of pressure doing all this deciding. At least you people with "real jobs" get a day off now and then.

Don't worry about me, though... I played the X10 while the Blonde was making breakfast - seems that playing guitar gets me out of work, at least for a while.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Lo Siento. When I retired from my official job, my wife had a two page list of do-stuff stuff. Like change the light bulb that had been out of 6 months--like I really need light to do my stuff in the morning. But she does, hence so do I, now. Just another houseboy.

The trick is not to do everything well. For example, I do a horrible job of cooking, and I am never asked to do so. I am also terrible at loading the dishwasher--never have to do that. But what I do, I do to the max and so far seem to be ahead in my many services (I'm terrible at dryer repair so we have a new one--eat your heart out).
Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

Lo Siento. When I retired from my official job, my wife had a two page list of do-stuff stuff. Like change the light bulb that had been out of 6 months--like I really need light to do my stuff in the morning. But she does, hence so do I, now. Just another houseboy.

The trick is not to do everything well. For example, I do a horrible job of cooking, and I am never asked to do so. I am also terrible at loading the dishwasher--never have to do that. But what I do, I do to the max and so far seem to be ahead in my many services (I'm terrible at dryer repair so we have a new one--eat your heart out).
No worries, my friend. There has never been a two page honey-do list for me... oh, there may be "one task per day"... seems there is always something that needs to be done.

When our daughter was younger, I enjoyed going shopping with those two. These days, I don't even enjoy shopping in most music stores (there are exceptions), and the two things I really try to avoid: shopping for furniture or appliances. I would much rather try my hand at the fast-paced non-paying world of dryer repair than have to schlep around looking at appliances. Tankless water heater, garbage disposal at the house, the a/c on the motorhome, and on our last cruising boat... well, the definition of cruising is: fixing your boat in exotic locations.

I guess I figure: if something is already broken, odds are pretty good I can't break it more. Joan likes to cook and clean; I like to eat and not clean... I keep the vehicles (and vessels) maintained... she route plans, I drive. I play music, she is an appreciative audience. We're a good team.

The weather here has been lousy the last two weeks - I haven't seen this duration of gray skies, wind and rain, since we've lived here. That is supposed to break overnight. Joan just asked, "Are you going to take me for a boat ride tomorrow?"

I'm in.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I played all three Emeralds (unplugged) for Joan today... she and I agree: the X20 has the biggest sound, then the X10, then the X7. When I asked her which she preferred to listen to, she said, "The X10 - plugged in."

For closure: the dryer repair is complete and it is as good as new. I have taken the Blonde out on the boat several times, because the weather is back to gorgeous again. Alas, the boat engine is having some fuel delivery issues - we pulled it out today and will take it to the dealer in the morning. Could I change out a fuel pump (assumption that is the issue)? Yep, but it is under warranty and they won't just give you the part to replace yourself.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I played all three Emeralds (unplugged) for Joan today... she and I agree: the X20 has the biggest sound, then the X10, then the X7. When I asked her which she preferred to listen to, she said, "The X10 - plugged in."

+1... I agree ..X10 into the Bose T1 then Compact.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

A chilly, wet, windy weekend - time to try another video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r58B...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

It seems that your collection is lacking. Having a 7, 10, and 20 is not the same as having all of those AND a 30. Best get busy.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Captain;

It seems that your collection is lacking. Having a 7, 10, and 20 is not the same as having all of those AND a 30. Best get busy.
Well, I have learned to never say never, friend Evan, but the X20, to me, is as big as I'd like. Of course, that opinion could change with the opportunity to play (and hold) an X30. Something similar happened last February, when the gathering at Kramster's presented the opportunity to play his "vintage" X10 and a bunch of other guitars.

I played the X20 today; such a great sound. After a bunch of time with the X10, the X20 is noticeably larger. Not uncomfortably so, but at the end of my comfort range. I have no doubt that Alistair can work magic with a design... it would be interesting to hear from Kramster, Byudzai, and others who have spent some time with both to get a "feels" impression. I have no doubt the X30 has great tone. Even Irish mojo can't change physics.

I don't have to tell you that from a comfort standpoint, bigger isn't always better, especially as we ... um... mature. So, for now, I'm at a very good place with my guitar options. Thanks for thinking of me. though.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good Jim, let us know when you get one. LOL

Seriously, there's just too darn many GREAT guitars out there right now. We can't have them all. I was trying to hold at 3, but somehow the collection has increased to 6. Or maybe it's 7. I'd love to try an X30 though, I do know that much.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Guest 928

I was trying to get it down to one. But I can't stay away from my X10, slot-head, nylon string guitar. I suspect that it's my acoustic keeper.

In the meantime I have the X10 nylon string, thin-bodied electric in the build process. I had thought that this would be my one guitar. But I don't see how a thin body can compete with a full one.

Although, my X7 nylon strung, thin-bodied guitar projects beyond its size. So maybe the 10 electric will get me to one guitar. Maybe not. It's a cliff hanger.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was trying to get it down to one. But I can't stay away from my X10, slot-head, nylon string guitar. I suspect that it's my acoustic keeper.

In the meantime I have the X10 nylon string, thin-bodied electric in the build process. I had thought that this would be my one guitar. But I don't see how a thin body can compete with a full one.

Although, my X7 nylon strung, thin-bodied guitar projects beyond its size. So maybe the 10 electric will get me to one guitar. Maybe not. It's a cliff hanger.
Or, maybe you need an X30? Hahahahahahahaha!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post

We can't have them all.

Wait what now?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-12-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:

You neeeeeed an X30! Fits the body like a glove and sounds like a grand piano!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 AM

X30 Nylon string?? Has it been done?

Love to hear what that would sound like!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber