The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM

Default ProPik Users?

Those of you with experience with the propik fingertones, what is the difference in the single wrap and the split wrap. Does one feel more secure than the other? Any advantages from one to the other? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:24 PM

The split wrap stays very well in place, and it has the advantage that it can be adjusted to my fingers.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I've used both types. For me the split wraps are more comfortable and more secure, because they are easier to bend to fit my fingers perfectly. I gave up on the single wrap type long ago.

I also bend the 'blade' up, to more follow the curve of my finger ends, and bring the fleshy pad more into contact with the string.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I initially ordered a few of each and ended up with the split wrap on my index and middle fingers and the single wrap on my ring finger. They just felt right that way - my ring finger is skinnier and the single wrap just felt right there...

-Ray
Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM

I like the double wrap. I bend the wrap closest to the fingernail to be a bit open so that it doesn’t rub the nail cuticles, and make the next wrap tighter. After some initial bending to get the fit I want, they are pretty comfortable, and stay securely in place. I couldn’t get the single wrap to feel as comfortable or as secure.

Don’t be afraid to bend them. Best to fit them to your finger on a general way, and then press against a hard surface (and use your other hand to hold the pick in place as beat you can) to get them molded to your finger and to get the position of the blade so that it is close to the outline of your fingernail.

Last edited by buddyhu; 01-26-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Those of you with experience with the propik fingertones, what is the difference in the single wrap and the split wrap. Does one feel more secure than the other? Any advantages from one to the other? Thanks in advance.
I've only used the double-wrap Fingertones. I've used single-wraps by other manufacturers, and I like the double better. They just offer a greater degree of adjustability and comfort, although it's not a night-and-day difference. The Fingertones take some work before they feel natural, but once you get them bent to your liking, they're hard to beat. Not sure they're any more secure than others, but I haven't lost any!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:38 PM

I've been a user of the EC double wraps for quite a while now, they're fantastic. It solves all the issues I had with traditional finger picks (uncomfortable, not very secure, cuts into cuticle when tightened)

I did what others did and ordered a couple of each from Propik and then repurchased a bunch of what I liked best...although I'm still on the first set purchased a couple years ago - it's not like they wear out

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 01-27-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

I use the single wrap because they are more comfortable to me. Retention is not a problem since I discovered the banjo players' trick of using saliva on your finger tips; works like a charm.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

I only use them on Dobro - (which is not very often now) and have some in the pick box for my National but rarely use them as my fingernails are adequate.

I have split wrap which seem to work best for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM

I think the double wrap give you a bit more adjust-ability. But it may just come down to one feels better than the other.

A word of caution on size. I find that they run small. I don't have really fat fingers so I tried the mediums and they didn't fit at all. The Large fit me just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion