The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-10-2018, 05:55 AM

Default Joining the club on a small scale

I have a few low end Ukuelels and wanted to step up to a high end uku but also wanted to durable. So investigated and found the Blackbird line and selected a Clara in burst spray pattern. The shop is backed up and they said three weeks to set up and ship.
I will reports back once it arrives.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Excellent... congratulations, Ken.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 AM

Congrats. I’ve never gotten to play the Blackbird stuff, but they get a lot of love.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Ken, and welcome to the CF sub-forum. The wait will be worth it - that Clara is a great sounding uke. Looking forward to your NUD post... well, that initialism looks a bit creepy when I see it in print, but looking forward to photos of your Clara when it arrives.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:49 AM

Hi Ken, normally we do require something with six or more strings to qualify for full membership privileges here .

However, in your case I think we can make an exception;
as it will become clear to you upon receipt of the uke, you’ll soon be feeling the need to also “go large”.

Looking forward to seeing your NUD. (That sounds so wrong....)

EDIT: Haha just read Jim’s post.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Ken, I have the Blackbird Farallon and could not be happier. It holds its own against a boutique-built mahogany ukulele that my wife has and Farallon has replaced my all-koa ukulele in the rotation. A member of our ukulele club came over to show me her brand new Clara that arrived this week. She camps in a van a lot during the summer and wanted the even smaller size of the Clara.

Congrats, and have patience during the wait.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Guest 928

Ken;

I'm not a uke player, but I had to try a Blackbird, and it was magnificent. While a lot of people discuss composite instruments relative to their durability the Blackbird also illustrates a high quality of sound. Congratulations on your decision-making. Hope you come back with pictures and maybe some sound.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Hi Ken, normally we do require something with six or more strings to qualify for full membership privileges here .

However, in your case I think we can make an exception;
as it will become clear to you upon receipt of the uke, you’ll soon be feeling the need to also “go large”.

Looking forward to seeing your NUD. (That sounds so wrong....)

EDIT: Haha just read Jim’s post.
Twisted minds think alike.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Those are great Ukes, I played at a bunch at NAMM... should last at least 46,874 years give or take a month or 90.. Might have to change strings a couple times though.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-10-2018, 06:03 PM

The wait will be wroth it, we have a cabin in Michigan and plan on keeping the Clara year round, seems we always have a truck full every time we stay so the guitar ends up in the truck bed.
I planning on selling my Lowden and using the funds for a 6 string Carbon fiber or Blackbird, still need to visit a few shops to play.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I have a few low end Ukuelels and wanted to step up to a high end uku but also wanted to durable. So investigated and found the Blackbird line and selected a Clara in burst spray pattern. The shop is backed up and they said three weeks to set up and ship.
I will reports back once it arrives.
Ken,

Congrats!!!! It started for me with the Clara....great tone...sold due to scale...but remembered the tone...sold off my Martin and other CFs over the years and have gone all eKoa. Have Captain & Savoy and patiently waiting for Farallon with sound port. For me checks all the boxes....Vintage tone, look, feel and as Joe says...”no worries!!!!!”. Have my outdoor tenor use for beach .... what else do you need? Life is good in the Blackbird Nest
Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM

The Clara arrived today, only had a few minutes to inbox on play.
Very powerful, wonderful tone, and it arrived with a perfect set up.
I will report back after a few days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber