The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
I should add that most of my 'dusty' work is limited to just sanding
Sanding produces the smallest sized particles (depending on the grit). I read one study that said sanding produced dust in the 1-2 micron range (if my memory is correct), smaller than any other process they studied.

Make sure to get the most efficient filters. N95 filters are 95% efficient at filtering out .3 micron particles, meaning 5% 'get through'. P3 filters are 99.95% efficient. But .05% of a very large number is still a big number, which is why it's wise to attack this problem from multiple fronts. And this assumes there is no leakage in the mask.

My father was an industrial hygienist, and like to say that those cheap masks held on your head with a rubber band was like not wearing a mask. Massive leakage. Doesn't matter how efficient the filter is.

Another thing he said: If you can smell it, it's getting into your lungs.

I would not recommend holding your breath, unless you are practicing to be a free-diver. In which case then you should.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

Last edited by lar; 09-24-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-25-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Sanding produces the smallest sized particles (depending on the grit). I read one study that said sanding produced dust in the 1-2 micron range (if my memory is correct), smaller than any other process they studied.

Make sure to get the most efficient filters. N95 filters are 95% efficient at filtering out .3 micron particles, meaning 5% 'get through'. P3 filters are 99.95% efficient. But .05% of a very large number is still a big number, which is why it's wise to attack this problem from multiple fronts. And this assumes there is no leakage in the mask.

My father was an industrial hygienist, and like to say that those cheap masks held on your head with a rubber band was like not wearing a mask. Massive leakage. Doesn't matter how efficient the filter is.

Another thing he said: If you can smell it, it's getting into your lungs.

I would not recommend holding your breath, unless you are practicing to be a free-diver. In which case then you should.

I agree. I guess I will look for a filtration unit suitable for my needs and invest in a good hood / mask.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
... invest in a good hood / mask.

Thanks.
Having tried many basic dust respirators, this is the best that I've found, short of a full hood with forced air: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ust-respirator

It is available from many suppliers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair