The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2004, 10:40 AM

If you have a way to get sound in to your computer you can use Audacity software by SoundForge. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's free and works well, although it's pretty basic. But it's definately enough for laying down a few tracks. This can also give you a place to start, to see how much things like sound quality (from the computer input) will matter to you.

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 08-04-2004, 10:41 AM

And also you need a noise-free recording room in this case, or your high-quality condenser mic will get you a boat-load of noise.
I'd suggest to rent a professional studio if you got that much of $ to spent.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 08-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchang
This sounds professional already to me. You are shooting for higher quality with several thousand bucks spent. Basically you are building a musical lab or studio. To me it's overkill. I guess you are rich.
Starting out with n-Track and a reasonable condensor mic and preamp for about $200 (or less) is not overkill and will get a recording enthusiast on the path to recording better quality.

Pretty much all the other gear I mentioned is entry-level. Of course, a fast enough PC is needed. These days it doesn't take several thousand $$$ to get very good results. I should mention that I'm just starting out myself with entry level gear such as I've described (but don't have everything yet, because I'm NOT rich!)

By the way, I started my recording interest using a process similar to your $5 solution (computer mic that came with the PC; Cool Edit 96 when it was a free trial). It's nowhere near the quality that someone needs if they REALLY want to hear how they sound (vocals in particular). I still suggest spending the $200 (or less) on n-Track, condensor mic and preamp.

Regarding condensor mics and the room you record in, sure you have to do everything you can to minimize the noise. Depending on where you live (and if you live alone), this can be fairly easy or difficult to control.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-04-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:04 PM

I think the recording environment is more important than what kind of equipment you have. If you live in a quiet countryside, surely you have a good env for recording. However if you live in urban area where there can be traffic/neighborhood noise at times, then forget about those expensive toys 'cause they'd help very little for quality in this case. And not every amature enthusiast would continue to pursue toward professional quality, depending on his bandwidth/budget.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 08-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Interesting replies, but a LONG way away from something simple I'm looking for to record my little noodlings at home to see if I'm improving any, and to see if I am on key when I do try to sing.......
the guy with the 31.99 radio shack model is probably where I should be, just wondered if there was anything around $100 that had a bit more fidelity.....or anything you can add to an integrated amp - although if I actually heard myself through my Vandersteen's I'd need to get a new hobby........

* 2oo4 Taylor 512ce
* 2004 Taylor Baby M
*1996 Larrivee 00-05
Old 08-04-2004, 03:41 PM

just got this http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html for 199
Old 08-06-2004, 06:55 PM

Location: Playing guitar (or piano, or bass, or drums, or singing....)

I've got a little Korg pxr4 multitrack digital recorder that works pretty well for that stuff. I also have garageband.
of the forgiven and the lost
of the redeemed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification