The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 AM

It looks like a nice product, but I just wonder why the didn't include a mic-XLR input with +48v in there also.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine View Post
It looks like a nice product, but I just wonder why the didn't include a mic-XLR input with +48v in there also.
I don't think that's a necessary feature for most guitarists to be honest. At least it's not something I care about when look for a single channel preamp.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I don't think that's a necessary feature for most guitarists to be honest. At least it's not something I care about when look for a single channel preamp.
I´m sure that you are right since most of the preamps out there only have instrument input, but I am searching for a nice preamp with mic input to use with DPA 4099 or the Schertler Dyn-G48 since I don't really like how piezo sounds on classical guitars. Probably there are other like-minded people out there.

As I said, there are dozens of preamps with the same more or less feature set (Instrument input, 2 or 3 bands of EQ, DI, maybe an effects loop) but very few with mic input and at a reasonable price.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Probably a few reasons. First, Grace Design realize that their preamps are expensive so by making a more affordable version that just has the necessary components, they can compete with Fishman and Lr Baggs. Second, a lot of people don't want to be tweaking numerous eq controls so this would appeal to them. Lastly, this might just be me but I sometimes get tired of the massed produced options but don't want to go all out money wise. This is a good introduction to boutique quality but at a price point that doesn't break the bank.
Fair enough, but I mean if you're looking at an introductory version of a $700+ preamp/EQ, you'd think they'd make some of it parametric.

At any rate, I can totally see them trying to snatch up a little market share from the other kids on the block.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
As I said, there are dozens of preamps with the same more or less feature set (Instrument input, 2 or 3 bands of EQ, DI, maybe an effects loop) but very few with mic input and at a reasonable price.
If you only need the mic preamps there are many (ex: RLNP http://www.fmraudio.com/rnp.html) that are affordable or Eventide Mixing link?

If you want EQ and DIs...

Dtar Sostice
Any small Mixer? (Zed10Fx)
Headway (battery powered but noisy)
Grace design Felix
Schertler Yellow
TC helicon pedals
boss ve-8

and new at namm:
Orange acoustic preamp
hotone A station
http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/.../1109/175.html

can you be more precise with reasonable price? What features do you you really need?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 01-21-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:15 AM

Hey Cuki,

thanks for the suggestions, I´m familiar with most of these units.

I want a good quality mic preamp with +48v, Treble and Bass EQ, HPF or at least some bass shelving, Parametric Mid or/and Notch are welcome but can live without, effects loop and DI. Small and light. A fair price for a quality unit with this features I think is around €400.

Knowing the Grace quality, I would have bought a BiX with microphone input tomorrow.

From your list, the Yellow Single ticks all the boxes and its probably the one that I´m gonna end with and the Hotone looks interesting - I didnt know about this one.

The Zoom A3, the AI FLEX preamp and the Vintage Revolution Acoustic Box are also interesting products.

Going to a single preamp like the RNP and then some EQ end etc is one solution but would be expensive in the end and not as practical (size, weight, power).

Dtar Sostice - Discontinued?
Any small Mixer? (Zed10Fx) - I´m using a small Mackie now when I don't bring my amp
Headway (battery powered but noisy) - Only +18v - no go with the Schertler and limited headroom with the DPA
Grace design Felix - Great feature set, expensive, big, has one more channel that I have no use for
Schertler Yellow - ticks all the boxes
TC helicon pedals - many variations, but mainly not enough EQ control over the mic channels.
boss ve-8 - same as above
Orange acoustic preamp - same as the the Felix
hotone A station - this looks very interesting

Konstantine
Old 01-21-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Hey Cuki,
I want a good quality mic preamp with +48v, Treble and Bass EQ, HPF or at least some bass shelving, Parametric Mid or/and Notch are welcome but can live without, effects loop and DI. Small and light. A fair price for a quality unit with this features I think is around €400.
Sorry to hijack this thread for one post

Mackie ProFX4v2

* Good quality mic preamp with +48v: YES
* Treble and Bass EQ: YES
* Parametric Mid or/and Notch are welcome: 7 Band EQ (can be bypassed)
* HPF: YES
* Effects loop: YES use MON SEND and High impedance for return input if using guitar pedal with no buffered output
* DI:Main out is balanced (don't know how much current it can provide: have to be checked)
* Small and light: 312x310 mm
* Price 120$

of course it does not provide Grace Design quality... But it is affordable.
If you don't care for the FX loop a small yamaha MG06 is smaller.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Fair enough, but I mean if you're looking at an introductory version of a $700+ preamp/EQ, you'd think they'd make some of it parametric.

At any rate, I can totally see them trying to snatch up a little market share from the other kids on the block.
This is Grace's version of something small suitable for a pedal board. There appears to be room for 2 knobs for EQ. So you could have a single parametric or you could have one Low and one Hi. Most will prefer the latter.

I have a Felix. Amazing but I use it stand alone. Kind of big for a pedal board. I'm looking forward to comparisons on the quality of the input and output stages between the Grace BiX and things like a Red Eye. EQ, reverb, and anything else are elsewhere on my pedal board.

Last edited by Spook; 01-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification