The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank View Post
Here are my thoughts, and I base them from my over 40+ years of experience with guitars. As you can see from my signature, I own quite a few, down from a high of 70+ guitars in the last five years (had to make room for more amps and recording gear).

Other than my PRS Custom from '94, if I could only have one electric, it would be an American Strat, preferably a '57 reissue-you can find them for $900. used. I have had several Teles, and my current Tele is a John Suhr; John used to work for Fender's Custom Shop-he makes impeccable guitars. The Tele is a legendary rock 'n roll guitar, but the Strat ,with three single coil pickups and a five-way blade switching system, gives you wonderful, classic tones.

Now, I own the new Taylor Custom, and it's a nice guitar, but there are far superior instruments if you have to pay the retail price.

I wholeheartedly recommend that you buy a used guitar. I put very little stock in warranties for electrics: with all the guitars I have owned, new and used, I have NEVER had a problem that necessitate the need for a warranty. Further, good guitars last. I have bought quite a number of used instruments, and fortunately for you, there is a good supply out there. I frequent a website called www.thegearpage.net . Go to its Emporium-plenty of great guitars for sale. The people are very trustworthy. I have bought and sold guitars there that are valued in excess of $4,000.00. Strats, Teles and Les Pauls are there for the asking.

I also recommend www.gbase.com. Dealers list their new and used inventories there. I have bought several great guitars there.

Don't waste your money on a new guitar. Remember, if you buy used, someone else has paid the depreciation. You won't lose when and if you decide to sell for another.

Good luck in your quest.

Dan
Great advice! How do you like the pickups in the Taylor? I went back and played the Tele again tonight, and using a Vox combo amp, got some very nice overdriven tone. Plus, it was truly noiseless! Since I can't play the Taylor, I'm relying on the experience of others.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 PM

Taylor is not getting the rave reviews from those I have talked to about it. The other problem is the only pups it can use are made by Taylor, they are not industry standards. If the tone gets old no place to go,No aftermarket.
As far as pricing at Sweetwater I have dealt with Dave Hess at sweetwater and he is willing to work to sell you a guitar. He personally pulled mine went over it and played it to let me know if I would be happy with it.
Price wise on a Tele have you checked a highway one. US nitro finished very sweet.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Sent an e-mail
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
Taylor is not getting the rave reviews from those I have talked to about it. The other problem is the only pups it can use are made by Taylor, they are not industry standards. If the tone gets old no place to go,No aftermarket.
As far as pricing at Sweetwater I have dealt with Dave Hess at sweetwater and he is willing to work to sell you a guitar. He personally pulled mine went over it and played it to let me know if I would be happy with it.
Price wise on a Tele have you checked a highway one. US nitro finished very sweet.
Besides the issue with the pickups....well, that they are propriatary (sp?), are there any other issues with the Taylors that you've heard about?

On another note, what's the deal with the cases on the American Deluxe Teles/Strats? They used to come with a nice rectangle case that was a tweed color. Now, it looks like they come with a basic SKB style case.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank View Post
Here are my thoughts, and I base them from my over 40+ years of experience with guitars. As you can see from my signature, I own quite a few, down from a high of 70+ guitars in the last five years (had to make room for more amps and recording gear).

Other than my PRS Custom from '94, if I could only have one electric, it would be an American Strat, preferably a '57 reissue-you can find them for $900. used. I have had several Teles, and my current Tele is a John Suhr; John used to work for Fender's Custom Shop-he makes impeccable guitars. The Tele is a legendary rock 'n roll guitar, but the Strat ,with three single coil pickups and a five-way blade switching system, gives you wonderful, classic tones.

Now, I own the new Taylor Custom, and it's a nice guitar, but there are far superior instruments if you have to pay the retail price.

I wholeheartedly recommend that you buy a used guitar. I put very little stock in warranties for electrics: with all the guitars I have owned, new and used, I have NEVER had a problem that necessitate the need for a warranty. Further, good guitars last. I have bought quite a number of used instruments, and fortunately for you, there is a good supply out there. I frequent a website called www.thegearpage.net . Go to its Emporium-plenty of great guitars for sale. The people are very trustworthy. I have bought and sold guitars there that are valued in excess of $4,000.00. Strats, Teles and Les Pauls are there for the asking.

I also recommend www.gbase.com. Dealers list their new and used inventories there. I have bought several great guitars there.

Don't waste your money on a new guitar. Remember, if you buy used, someone else has paid the depreciation. You won't lose when and if you decide to sell for another.

Good luck in your quest.

Dan
I totally agree with the value of used guitars and trying to delay the gratification while you search. My truly mint or excellent Am. Dlx. and DRRI were had for the ave. street (MAP) price of the guitar new. I also picked up my Tele new for a super price by having good timing.

You also want the savings because the amp can mean so much. I really wish I didn't flush money down with toilet on solid state amps (other than my Micro Cube) let alone be the idiot to buy one new, and great tube amps are always available in super shape for a big discount.

I don't know where the OP is, but the craigslists ads I'm seeing within a 75 mile circle have a lot of bargains on really good stuff.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM

If you order from Music123.com by tomorrow night, you can get 15% off when you use this code - "80rocks"

It's for their 80th anniversary...

You can thank me later.....
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
If you order from Music123.com by tomorrow night, you can get 15% off when you use this code - "80rocks"

It's for their 80th anniversary...

You can thank me later.....
Wow, that's a good deal. That makes the american deluxe tele under my max price of $1,100.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 AM

Cha-ching!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification