The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-01-2002, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Yes...if you use Smith's Pro polish on Satin it won't hurt it. Use it all over the guitar. Gloss can be polished with Smith's but Turtle Wax and Meguire's is better. When I refinish a guitar I buff it on the wheel buffer...let it cool an hour then use Meguire's on it !! Whoo it shines...

Ron
Cisco,

Maybe it would clear things up even more, if you let us know what area not to use the Smith's Pro polish on. I would like to know. Thanks for your help.

( @ )===:::
Old 10-02-2002, 01:57 PM

I thought I rememebered something about not using polish on the top. I don't remember where. However, it looks like we have a reliable conscensus that doing so is OK. I'd gladly put the wellfare of my precious axes in the hands of CISCO and Ryan.

BTW, I like the satin finish just the way it is. Boy, Taylor puts a nice finish on their geetars.

Oh! Check out this excerpt from the Taylor Web Site.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...ers.html#faq25

Last edited by Stuart; 10-02-2002 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:54 PM

hello~

i, for one, like the satin finish on my 310
same with the gloss too

no complaints ^^
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:20 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark E <><

Cisco,

Maybe it would clear things up even more, if you let us know what area not to use the Smith's Pro polish on. I would like to know. Thanks for your help.
Mark
Just anywhere there is wood you can polish it. On most gloss Taylor's the neck and headstock is satin, so just don't polish the neck and headstock. On a satin guitar I polish with Smith's everything except the neck. I even use it on the hardware. Now i'm one that polishes everything, every screw, tuner, button everything. I love to polish and rub guitars.

Ron
Old 10-02-2002, 09:03 PM

Cisco,

I appreciate your help. I did not know that about the neck. I have a 310, so I'll have to remember that. Thanks again.

( @ )===:::
Old 10-03-2002, 07:53 AM

Here you go. This is from Taylor's official web site.

How should I clean/polish my guitar?
For all "glossy" Taylor models, we recommend a non-abrasive (very important!) carnauba wax or a brand-name guitar polish to rub out minor scratches and to preserve the high-gloss finish. However, our 300 and 400 Series models, two of the four Taylor acoustic basses, and all Baby Taylors have a "satin" (non-gloss) finish. On these Taylors, you don't want to use any type of polish, wax, or Murphy's Oil Soap anywhere on the body, because they can damage the finish. The only polish we recommend for a satin finish is Ken Smith Pro Formula, likely sold wherever Ken Smith basses are sold. Otherwise, simply use a clean, damp cloth to wipe the surface, and follow quickly with a clean, dry cloth. Think of a non-gloss surface as a glass window; if you don't immediately wipe it dry, it will "streak." As for cleaning the ebony fingerboard, we recommend dry, extra-fine steel wool (.000 to .00000). You can rub pretty hard without damaging the fingerboard; just be careful not to touch the body with it!
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 10-03-2002, 09:24 AM

Quote:
On most gloss Taylor's the neck and headstock is satin, so just don't polish the neck and headstock. On a satin guitar I polish with Smith's everything except the neck. I even use it on the hardware. Now i'm one that polishes everything, every screw, tuner, button everything. I love to polish and rub guitars.
Oops...I've been polishing the neck and headstock of my guitar. Would this cause any damage to them?

But, you know, once I get started I just can't help it. With the Smith Pro Formula, my guitar just looks so beuoo-tiful.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:45 PM

Talking

You can polish the neck and headstock of the guitar...I've been polishing my 410koa for months and my 314ce for a year with the Smith Proformula. It will not damage the guitar. You've got to get the dirt and oil from your hands off the neck. Go ahead, you won't hurt it, just spray it on and wipe it off, clean it up..I use the Smith stuff on all 3 of my acoustics and never a hint of damage, only a beautiful shine!!

I realize that we all want to take care of our guitars and keep them in pristine condition whenever possible, but they're made to play and they will withstand more than you think, especially a little Smith spray polish.

Good Luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification