The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-30-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thanks for the kind comments. When I took on this commission, I was a little concerned about how this guitar would sound. This is the first Mahogany-topped guitar I've made, and many of the Martins and others that I've encountered over the years were somewhat uninspiring, tone-wise. They have mostly had a strong fundamental, short sustain, not much tone color, and a chunky vibe that works great for playing dirty blues, and kicking out raucous jams while sitting in front of a fishing shack at the edge of a Mississippi swamp.

Not so with this guitar! It actually sounds more like a Euro Spruce-topped guitar. It has great depth in the bass, strong mids, chimey trebles, lots of sustain, and some delicate overtones. And it's still a totally green apple. It's only going to improve from here.

I built the top and bracing lightly for maximum response. I was very concerned about using such wildly figured wood for a soundboard, ESPECIALLY with a pinless bridge. I was concerned that the rotational torque might cause the top to "open up" in the WRONG way at some point. So, when I designed the bridge, I decided to incorporate a JLD Bridge Doctor into the scheme. This device is usually used to resuscitate old guitars with bellied/sunken tops, by correcting that rotational torque and flattening the top. Breedlove custom shop guitars were built with these devices as standard equipment- maybe they still are--and those guitars have a great reputation for sound and performance. So, I decided to build-in a JLD from the get-go as cheap insurance to keep the top from getting too stressed out.
I didn't have time to experiment with it, so I can't really say how much the JLD Bridge Doctor influences the tone; but it sounded so good with the first set of strings, I decided not to mess with it.
There are a number of comments where people with Breedloves have found the JLD equipped guitars seemed to lack a little volume and projection even though they had good tone.

Did this one match some of your others without the JLD in that area?

I had a Breedlove Legacy that had a JLD and it fell in exactly that great tone but a bit quieter.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
There are a number of comments where people with Breedloves have found the JLD equipped guitars seemed to lack a little volume and projection even though they had good tone.

Did this one match some of your others without the JLD in that area?

I had a Breedlove Legacy that had a JLD and it fell in exactly that great tone but a bit quieter.
I could be wrong, but I think Steve said it was necessary as figured mahogany cracks easily, and given the additional torque the pinless bridge puts on the top and the expense of that wood, there wasn't much of a choice for that guitar.

He said it sounded really good though. Wish I could have played and heard it.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’ve had the good fortune to play every guitar that Steve has built over the past few years...and much to my dismay, this guitar (even with the mahogany soundboard) has the same “Edwinson” vibe. I’ve never met a mahogany-topped guitar that I was impressed with...so I was skeptical from the get-go. My only regret is that I didn’t have the opportunity to play this one before it left the shop because I’m currently recovering from a self-inflicted right index finger incision.

It was interesting watching this build as it progressed every day. Watching Steve often be pushed out of his comfort zone...seeing how he performed the mental gymnastics required to engineer many new processes...and observing how he maneuvered through it all while maintaining his sanity was quite a show.

I can attest to the fact that this guitar looks better than the pictures reveal...and that it sounds better than I ever imagined a mahogany-topped guitar could sound.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 03-30-2021, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Steve said it was necessary as figured mahogany cracks easily, and given the additional torque the pinless bridge puts on the top and the expense of that wood, there wasn't much of a choice for that guitar.

He said it sounded really good though. Wish I could have played and heard it.
I wouldn't say it was necessary to install the Bridge Doctor. After a lot of consideration, it seemed like a good idea to integrate it. I did this for my own peace of mind mostly, because I want this guitar to have a good life and make a good fortune in the world, and not be cut down prematurely by an invisible weak link in the design.

It's all conjecture really-- and the only real proof is in the playing. Lots and lots of playing. Time and Music, they are inseparable, you know?
Old 03-30-2021, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

holy my sweet geezuz!!
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 04-01-2021, 07:06 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Brings new meaning to the word SCHWEEET!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Whoa, buddy, that’s nice! It’s all satisfying, but the peghead is particularly attractive.
And what’s up with those tuner buttons?! Got a closer pic of those?
Kudos,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-02-2021, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Whoa, buddy, that’s nice! It’s all satisfying, but the peghead is particularly attractive.
And what’s up with those tuner buttons?! Got a closer pic of those?
Kudos,

Steve
Hi, Steve,
Thank you sir! Looking forward to seeing you guys at Tom & Kathy's in September.
This guitar sports the first iteration of my Symmetric Omega headstock. Charlie requested this design change at the beginning of the project. The original Omega headstock is asymmetrical, and was designed for Multiscale guitars.

The tuner buttons are made by Bill Wise, (Charis Guitars), and these ones are the Ebony/Koa version. Bill makes these tuner buttons and sells them to people who want a really classy upgrade for their Gotoh tuners. You can find them on the Charis Guitars website.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:37 AM

That blows me away you can make that! Does it need some kind of metal or carbon fiber rods inserted for stability, or is the wood strong enough on it's own?

Oh, and those tuner buttons are sick!
Old 04-02-2021, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hi, Steve,
Thank you sir! Looking forward to seeing you guys at Tom & Kathy's in September.

The tuner buttons are made by Bill Wise, (Charis Guitars), and these ones are the Ebony/Koa version. Bill makes these tuner buttons and sells them to people who want a really classy upgrade for their Gotoh tuners. You can find them on the Charis Guitars website.
Thanks for the reply, Steve, and ditto for next September!

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-02-2021, 03:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Why that's down right Tree-dimensional.

Looks great Steve!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-02-2021, 08:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post

Looks great Steve!

Mark
Thank you so much Mark. I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person in September at the second B.I.G. I am one of your biggest fans, because your work is at a higher order of being than most, and you are a luthier's luthier, a craftsman of rare talent and ability. You set the bar really high for the rest of us mere mortals. You're an inspiration to all of us. Can't wait to see what you bring to the show!
Old 04-03-2021, 02:57 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post

Looks great Steve!

Mark
I'd also call it TREE-mendous!! Gorgeous guitar Steve. Wowser!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-05-2021, 04:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you so much Mark. I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person in September at the second B.I.G. I am one of your biggest fans, because your work is at a higher order of being than most, and you are a luthier's luthier, a craftsman of rare talent and ability. You set the bar really high for the rest of us mere mortals. You're an inspiration to all of us. Can't wait to see what you bring to the show!
Thanks Steve. After reading that it will be hard for anyone attending B.I.G. to walk away from my table and not feel disappointed . I assure you my being is not high!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop