The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Default Martin vs Taylor

Hi to everyone

Im new to the forum and this is my first thread. Last december I went to GC and liked a lot the Martin DX1RAE but then again, I didnt play anything else because I wasnt there to buy. Ill go next december and thought that I could buy it, but after lots of research Taylor sounds like a more suitable brand for me.

I decided well, the next two years Im going to save money and buy a guitar each year, but I dont know whats better: at first I thought the bottom line Martin first (DX1RAE) and then the Taylor 314ce. Again, reading a lot yesterday came to my mind... Is it better to have a good Martin (Im thinking in something like d15, d16gt, d16rgt, swdgt... That kind of price range) and a cheap Taylor (gs mini) or the other way around??

I can save a maximum of 1000 dlls per year. Also anither question I have, the Martin sound good with an added pickup? Like a KK pure? Does it affect the unplugged sound??

Sorry for making it so long, but any help and opinions are welcome
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Some people prefer Martin and some Taylors, they are very different and sometimes considered the opposite ends of voicings, vintage Martin versus modern Taylor.

You have to figure out what's right for you. I prefer Martin and would recommend getting a used guitar (more bang for the buck) that fits in you budget over new, but first play everything you can and see where your ears lead you. Best of luck............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM

welcome to the AGF!

as usual on the agf, when people ask what may be better brand wise, the answer is for you to go to the local big box store and play everything in sight. that way you will know what you like as well as what meets your budget. once you go back to the couple that you really like, ask a store person to play it so that you know how it projects. if you find the one that sings to you, take it home! worry about getting the best guitar you can, first, and worry about getting a second guitar at a much later date. and, don't rule out the used market, both in the store and your local craigslist.

as far as a pickup, you first have to determine whether you will need it or not as you will also have to pay for the pickup, if it doesn't come with the guitar, and an amp.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Yup...play 'em and see which you like better.

As to the pickup question, don't have a clue.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM

Go play guitars in your price range and ignore the name on the headstock.

Let us know what you think.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Martin and Taylor are both great choices. Like others have said, play them and choose your favorite . I have installed a few K&K pure minis and they have had absolutely no discernible affect on the acoustic tone that I have noticed.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. Go to some guitar stores and try a bunch. This is a personal decision that requires your ears and your wallet to duke it out.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Buy a Taylor in year 1
Buy a Martin year 2
then buy a Gibson in year 3

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 PM

So much of a personal preference. I prefer Martin. My Martin D15M is a thing of absolutely beauty. Mahogany isn't for everybody...but for my style of play, it's my absolute dream guitar.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Buy a Taylor in year 1
Buy a Martin year 2
then buy a Gibson in year 3
Then in years four to six, repeat, but with twelve strings.
Years seven to nine, repeat with electric guitars.
Etc.

See how this works?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Yup...play 'em and see which you like better.
I agree with these guys about playing and seeing whidh you like better. What sucks is that often times you'll pick up a nice guitar with dead strings on them and get the wrong impression. If you're a serious buyer, and you've narrowed it down to a couple guitars, you might try talking the guitar shop into throwing on some new stings. The worst they can do is say no. But if they think you're a serous buyer, they just might do it. I've had them do it for me.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 PM

First off you are picking two very good brands. Before you go out and buy that expensive Martin or Taylor, how much have you played and what type or types of music will you be playing. You see I bought two beautiful Taylors and DN3 & DN4. I am mostly playing Bluegrass followed by Country and Folk. My Taylors were really good guitars but my ears matured and started gravitaing to the Martin sound. It sounds great in Bluegrass as well as other genre's. So I went from Taylors to Martin's. I am happy I did because I am getting the sounds I want to hear and play. Now I still have my Taylor DN4 that I will be selling and love it for Country Gospel songs and another genre of music I play once in awhile. My ears I really feel matured after a good period of jamming in weekly sessions and playing in a Bluegrass band. My ears started to pick up sounds that they were not able to because I was so focused on just keeping up and starting to lake a lead. After that I relaxed because I progressed and I started to focus on nothing but the sound and the licks I was playing in the songs. That's when my ears guided me to the sound I wanted and the guitar I chose. So until you get a feel of the music and sound that you want to hear and play, don't be surprisedthat you buy a Taylor and gravitate later to Martin or buy a Martin and add a Taylor into the mix. Just these two very goods brands has their own unique sound. I strongly suggest that you play the models that you really like in each brand and let your ears guide you. Also don't be surprised if you decide on a Taylor and pick up a Gibson and fall in love with that or a Larrivee. Take your time on this and don't be caught up on the brand on the head stock. Let your ears decide for you which brand and model to buy that day. Then and only then you will have a decent chance of truly being happy with the first large purchase.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 PM

It's all subjective. I've played some Martins that were an absolute DREAM and others that were complete stinkers.

Taylors in my experience are more consistently on the good side even if the sound is not my preference.

That being said how each guitar responds to the way you play is going to have to be how you choose.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM

You will need to keep playing different guitars than you will be able to answer this questions on your own, in fat you are the only one who can decide which is best for you.

BTW, welcome to the AGF.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM

Welcome to the AGF. As everyone has already said - it's subjective.

I own two Taylors and I'll own more in the future. I will also own a Martin but don't have one currently. Everyone's mileage will vary but it's hard to go wrong with either.

Go SPURS Go

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
christmas, guitar center, martin, taylor