The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual View Post
Obviously Segovia, Bream, Williams, etc. knew what they were doing, lol ... and I don't. Just plucking any of the upper 3 strings makes my skin crawl.
As others have pointed out, tone on a nylon string guitar is "cultivated" - the result of a lot of practice and precise technique. What you are hearing in Segovia, Bream, et al, is that practice and technique.

Segovia put the instrument on the map as a "concert" instrument. Much of the "classical" technique stems from what he prescribed, though in more recent years there is increasing variation in technique. Shaping of the nails is one such example.

In earlier years, books were written about Segovia's technique, including nail shaping. The "Segovia tone" involves two basic strokes, that are basic to classical guitar playing. The first is the "free" stroke", the basic mechanics of which are more or less what most steel string players do. It involves plucking a string so that the plucking finger does not land on the adjacent string after plucking. The second is the "rest" stroke in which the plucking finger lands on the adjacent string after plucking the string. Few steel string players do this. It provides a very different tone than a free stroke.

The key to the basic plucking of the strings is that the plucking action begins with the string simultaneously touching the flesh of the finger and the nail. It is almost as if the string is wedged between the tip of the finger and the nail, prior to plucking the string. Thus, the finger does not simply "swipe" the string as the finger passes the string. Instead, the finger starts from rest on the string and then plucks it. This is critical to traditional classical guitar technique. The nails need to be shaped for this and is the reason I'm not fond of the video mentioned below, wherein he makes no mention of this basic mechanic.

Segovia played predominantly from the right side of the nails - as do most following him. Later, others played from the left side. Regardless, a slicing action can be used from the left side of the nail to provide greater power and tone, but that is a more advanced technique, one which doesn't seem to be accounted for in the nail shapes of the video, below.

There are many subtle variations depending on the player and how his or her nails grow and his or her preferred technique. Regardless, best to start off with the "standard" methods.

Last, rest stroke on a steel string can be very hard on the nails, wearing them down and/or notching them, which will ruin tone. It can still be used, but not with the same gusto as in nylon string playing. Once one has learned classical technique, it can be used very effectively in steel string playing. It can make your steel string playing cleaner, more precise.

It depends upon your goal: to be a classical guitar player or be a steel string player that plays on a nylon-string guitar. Nothing wrong with the latter, but, classical guitar is a very specific thing, not simply a "guitar player" who plays on nylon. And not to be confused with a nylon-string "cross-over" guitar that many steel string players play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
Do look online and fine a good video about how to shape your nails. There are many, but this one seems decent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUjV0X1-I_o

Last edited by charles Tauber; 06-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Although I do not yet have nylon strings to try, the shaping is making it work on steel string. Had let nails grow to begin trying techniques. But prior to filing, the nails would just snag-the-strings making playing impossible ... followed by guitar withdrawal symptoms (depression, frustration, anger, heavy drinking, and general distress ).

The "rest" stroke was/is confusing (because of dampening effect) but after looking it up, it seems mostly a training tool so you don't loose finger placement. Is there other value (beside that and deliberate dampening of next string)? In what way does it "provide a very different tone" ... quieting adjacent string harmonics? ... or changes in the way you move you finger before resting? ... or immediately primed for next pluck?

Am not interesting in a 'cross-over' guitar. As far as classical playing goes, would very much enjoy learning The Miller's Dance and a few others. But in general, learning the techniques and learning to express inner feelings are my goals. "cleaner and precise" sound good to me.

I could put nylon strings on my current guitar but the string spacing would not be good. While a very personal choice, are there some recommends for a very good classical guitar? Will spend what is needed but will not tolerate the frustration of a 'cheap' instrument. Will likely go with spruce top rather than cedar because, although the 'swallowed' tone cedar makes can be very beautiful, overall would probably enjoy a brighter sound ... at least while learning.

Thank you for all your input!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
classical guitar, nylon strings