The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:09 AM

Default Martin Custom Shop OM-18 GE bracing (SOLD)

SOLD. Thanks everybody!

I think it’s time to cut down on the number of guitars I have around; I hate to do it, but here goes.

Reluctantly letting go of a 2017 Custom Shop OM-18 with scalloped Golden Era bracing and some cosmetic upgrades from the regular 18-series. A complete spec sheet is in the link to pictures:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iE?usp=sharing

and here’s a link describing/demoing the guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZHH7Cda9eU

25.4-inch scale, 1.75” nut. Very responsive to a light touch, but more headroom than you might expect from an OM and has beautiful straight-grained Honduran mahogany and aging toner on top. The only flaw I can catch with the camera is a small mark on the side of the headstock where a string winder rubbed against the wood (there is a pic of this in the link- it makes it look much worse than it really is, but I’d rather do it that way). Asking $1950 clear to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7875 copy.jpg (66.7 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7876 copy.jpg (59.5 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7892 copy.jpg (53.3 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by oldblackdogs; 04-11-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I should have specified that price didn't include shipping or PayPal fees
Old 04-10-2021, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up

These are great guitars. I have one and the Golden Era Bracing gives it a big bass and clear trebles with the power of a larger body.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner440 View Post
These are great guitars. I have one and the Golden Era Bracing gives it a big bass and clear trebles with the power of a larger body.
Agreed. The difference between these guitars and the Standard or Reimagined series (great instruments themselves) is an eye-opening example of what subtle changing of braces can do.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitar! I didn’t know they ever did Sitka GE bracing. I guess I’d assumed it was always Adirondack when in the golden era spec.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:44 PM

This indeed is a beautiful guitar and caught my eye. However, no where on the spec sheet or in Spoon Phillip's description on the youtube video is golden era bracing mentioned. That is a concern for me. Thank you for posting.

Rick

2000 Martin D-18GE
2019 Martin OM-28
2020 Martin OOO-18GE Custom
1997 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
1930’s Dobro/Regal Resophonic Guitar
Old 04-10-2021, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post
This indeed is a beautiful guitar and caught my eye. However, no where on the spec sheet or in Spoon Phillip's description on the youtube video is golden era bracing mentioned. That is a concern for me. Thank you for posting.

Rick
Quote from the spec sheet is

"BRACING PATTERN: Golden Era Style
• BRACE SHAPE: Scalloped"

Is that not a reference to GE bracing? What am I missing?
2024 Gallagher G70
Old 04-10-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchStrummer View Post
Quote from the spec sheet is

"BRACING PATTERN: Golden Era Style
• BRACE SHAPE: Scalloped"

Is that not a reference to GE bracing? What am I missing?
Agreed. Looks like a killer guitar. Trying extremely hard not to buy it right now.

Last edited by Hey_day; 04-10-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 PM

Hi rickcrna,

I'll be the third one to point to the phrasing on the spec sheet. If I've somehow misinterpreted the description of the bracing, I'd really appreciate your take on it.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:01 PM

Very confused what the debate is here. The spec sheet is attached. Every detail build wise is there and there is no need to question. Great and trustable seller offering a guitar at a wonderful price. If this is hear tomorrow I’m leaning towards buying just because of the great price offered.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:22 PM

After digging around online, I want to say that Rick has a valid point.

I’m clearly not as well versed in Martin-speak, or history, as many of you, but it seems that “Golden Era” guitars, as defined by Martin, had Adirondack/Red spruce tops, and scalloped braces. Post-war, this transitioned to common use of Sitka tops and straight braces.

In Maury’s spec sheet for this build, they did indeed describe this guitars bracing as “BRACING PATTEN: Golden Era style”, which I then interpreted as the same thing as “Golden Era bracing”. That’s my mistake. I’d argue that it’s a pretty understandable one.

Please note that nowhere did I ever refer to it as a Golden Era model; even I knew the difference there.

There was never any intent to deceive, and I'm trying to figure out how to edit the header itself to reflect the emphasis on GE-style bracing, which, I believe, has implications as to the distance from the center of the X to the sound hole, possibly among other things. This was a quick bit of digging to try and set the record straight, and hopefully I’ve not muddied it even more,

If whoever buys this guitar isn’t happy with it, I’m happy to take it back.

Doug
Old 04-10-2021, 11:03 PM

No need to change the heading. It’s fine as is in my opinion. I simply wasn’t able to view both pages of the spec sheet initially and that was causing me to question. I have a custom shop 000-18 with GE bracing, Adirondack top,etc. Fantastic guitar as I’m certain yours is as well. OM-18 with GE bracing don’t come around very often and I expect this one will sell soon. Again thank you for posting. It’s mighty tempting.

2000 Martin D-18GE
2019 Martin OM-28
2020 Martin OOO-18GE Custom
1997 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
1930’s Dobro/Regal Resophonic Guitar
Old 04-11-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic guitar!

And finally from a decent person who is offering a very fair price!(Rare these days..)

Good luck with the sale.

If it were short scale ,I would have purchased it !

Gabe
Old 04-11-2021, 12:26 PM

Thanks, Gabe. Selling anything of value is always a trade-off, and I tend to look for a relatively easy way out, within reason, I guess. Cheers!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars