The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Default LR Baggs Venue vs Session

I recently installed a lr baggs M1 in my guitar, I am currently using a gigpro as my pre amp to my PA. The controls are compact on the unit with small knobs. I have been looking to upgrade to either the venue or the session, or both. Venue was my first choice, but after watching the session videos, the saturation function looks like a great option. Does anyone have an experience running both of these together?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinock View Post
I recently installed a lr baggs M1 in my guitar, I am currently using a gigpro as my pre amp to my PA. The controls are compact on the unit with small knobs. I have been looking to upgrade to either the venue or the session, or both. Venue was my first choice, but after watching the session videos, the saturation function looks like a great option. Does anyone have an experience running both of these together?

Thanks
Jeff
I personally was disappointed by the session. I might be the only one but it was so subtle that it felt like a bit of a waste. I am also not sure if I even liked the end results. The Venue will give you eq options, a boost, a tuner etc so it offers a lot more. Don't feel that you need to stick to Lr Baggs though.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinock View Post

Thanks
Jeff
The Align Session would be a better choice than the Session DI if you want to use it with another preamp. You could either run the Session first into the Venue, or put the Session in the Venue's effects loop. I agree, the Session is a fairly subtle effect, but it can definitely improve your sound - depends on your needs. I don't think it's an either/or thing, tho, the Venue offers EQ, mute, boost, tuner, etc, which the Session DI doesn't have. I think Baggs did a smart thing in coming out with the Align Session, making it basically an "effect", so you can easily use it with other preamp/DIs. So I'd vote for both :-) Or check out the Align pedals, which are all very nice.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The Align Session would be a better choice than the Session DI if you want to use it with another preamp. You could either run the Session first into the Venue, or put the Session in the Venue's effects loop. I agree, the Session is a fairly subtle effect, but it can definitely improve your sound - depends on your needs. I don't think it's an either/or thing, tho, the Venue offers EQ, mute, boost, tuner, etc, which the Session DI doesn't have. I think Baggs did a smart thing in coming out with the Align Session, making it basically an "effect", so you can easily use it with other preamp/DIs. So I'd vote for both :-) Or check out the Align pedals, which are all very nice.
Good point. I did however try running the Session di in the loop of the Felix and it did not work well at all. I wonder if the align series would be better for that?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Good point. I did however try running the Session di in the loop of the Felix and it did not work well at all. I wonder if the align series would be better for that?
What didn't work? I'm pretty sure I tried the Session DI in the Venue effects loop at one point (probably when I was reviewing it for AG), and it worked fine. But clearly not meant for this purpose, with its own XLR out, etc. The Align version is a basic standard "pedal", 1/4 in and out, and I did use it on some gigs in the effects loop of a red-eye, and that worked very well.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:18 AM

I use both together. I like the boost function on the venue along with the EQ. The tuner is useless though.

With the session the saturate and compression are subtle but very effective. What is also useful and rarely mentioned on the full session is the low cut filter. This in my opinion is a quick and easy feedback fighting fix. I’m surprised the venue doesn’t have one. My only dislike of the session is that the XLR out is on the top of the pedal.

I’ve previously had a M1A equipped J-15 which was run through these two pedals with great results.

The align series may be better for you but I wanted all the features of both the full pedals.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
What didn't work? I'm pretty sure I tried the Session DI in the Venue effects loop at one point (probably when I was reviewing it for AG), and it worked fine. But clearly not meant for this purpose, with its own XLR out, etc. The Align version is a basic standard "pedal", 1/4 in and out, and I did use it on some gigs in the effects loop of a red-eye, and that worked very well.
I did it a few weeks ago but I remember the overall volume of the Felix was altered with the Session in the loop. I was also having issues with a bit of overdrive occurring. To be honest, I am not sure why it was such an issue, I thought it would have worked out fine. I will have to try again.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Gain staging can be tricky with effects loops, every device seems to be different. And the Session might be especially tricky since the input level affects how the saturation/comp works. I'd think between the gain and volume you could make it work, but I didn't try it with Felix. But you could always put the session ahead of the preamp, tho with Felix you'd lose the benefit of the impedance switching, if that matters in your case.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Gain staging can be tricky with effects loops, every device seems to be different. And the Session might be especially tricky since the input level affects how the saturation/comp works. I'd think between the gain and volume you could make it work, but I didn't try it with Felix. But you could always put the session ahead of the preamp, tho with Felix you'd lose the benefit of the impedance switching, if that matters in your case.
I had thought about that for sure. I might still incorporate the session di but the align is more appealing if I am using it as just an effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification