The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
From a transport/handling perspective, the LS801P's aren't that bad actually.(they're on casters) Once you get in that gear-range though, you really need a trailer and ramp(s). Stairs are a bit of a problem, but that's true with most 18" horn-loaded subs.

From a pure output perspective, they're monsters. Sensitivity is 105dB@ 1 watt/1 meter.(measured). In my jam room, we can't run them beyond 2, and we're playing at full club-level.(full acoustic drum-kit, keyboards, bass, guitars, horns,,lasers, LED lighting,,,etc.) Beyond 2, you'd swear the house is falling apart. (jam room is 1200 sq.ft.)

Most of the local small-club rock/blues bands, are using the NX720P/LS720P's for 100-150 seat venues, and there's plenty of thump, with never a trace of muddiness. Great lil' subs, and like all things "Yorkville",,, they're built like tanks.
I have experience with the 801's. They are flat out sensational. It's just more than I want to carry around, and honestly the NX720 is more than I need for most gigs. Someday I will own a pair of 801's, but that's going to be after I buy a trailer.

Bobby, have you tried any of these Line 6 speakers yet? I am floored by the L3's. The L2's are pretty incredible as well.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I have experience with the 801's. They are flat out sensational. It's just more than I want to carry around, and honestly the NX720 is more than I need for most gigs. Someday I will own a pair of 801's, but that's going to be after I buy a trailer.
For an acoustic act (with percussion,tracks, etc) the 801P's can be handy at larger outdoor gigs, especially where people are spread out over longer distances. Bang-for-the-buck-wise, I don't think anything comes close in that segment. You can really shape their tone too. Need "a lil' more kick-drum thump"??? No problem. Sweep the tone knob to where it suits your need (roughly 85Hz),,,, Got a synth, and need some incredibly deep low-end,,,again,,, just sweep the tone knob accordingly.

Quote:
Bobby, have you tried any of these Line 6 speakers yet? I am floored by the L3's. The L2's are pretty incredible as well.
No I haven't. The last time I bought P/A gear was probably 5 or more years ago, and I'm no longer running sound,,, other than our current jams at home, or friends' parties. I do remember though, when Don Boomer (an EE with Line 6) was designing those speakers a few years back. Don's a frequent visitor/contributor at the Pro-Sound forum where I hang out. He's the guy you'd want to be talking to, if you need specific information. Great guy.

As for my gear, well, I'm going to start winding down,,,,eventually. Mind you, I've been saying that for the last few years now. As far as speakers go, I've got 18 powered speakers sitting here; a pair of LS720P's, a pair of LS801P's, a pair of U-15P's, four EF500's, and eight NX55P's. If I do get around to selling them, I'll probably go with an ultra-compact NEXO PS10 or PS12 w/sub(s) set-up, which should be more than enough for my current needs. I'd probably keep a few NX55P's for monitors,etc. The NEXO rig though, is mucho $$$$. especially with the NEXAMP4x4.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Bobby.
Are you saying that you're liking the Line6's better/as much as your Meyers? That's high praise if it's true.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Bobby.
Are you saying that you're liking the Line6's better/as much as your Meyers? That's high praise if it's true.
I don't have any Meyers boxes, and I've never heard the Line6 boxes. All my current speakers are by Yorkville Sound. A few years back, I came close to buying a pair of Meyer Jr's, which are an ultra-compact speaker, but after I heard the NEXO PS8, PS10, and PS12's, I figured I might go there instead. Much better sounding box IMO. The Meyers Jr. was more of a zone-coverage box, ideal for hanging in front of a balcony,,,, that type of thing.

The NEXO PS series passive speakers themselves are reasonably affordable(under $2k/box), but the power-amp/processor costs a LOT of Moolah. You're lookin' at roughly $17k-$18k for two mains, 2 compact subs(LS600's???), and the 4-channel amp/processor. Power-outlets can be a problem for rigs like that. If I remember correctly, the 4ch amp/processor requires up to two 220v/30amp outlets. The max output of the 4ch amp is something like 16,000 watts.(4000w/channel). NEXO also sells a lower-priced 2ch amp/processor, but I don't recall offhand, the power output, nor if it includes digital processing. I know they make an analogue model, but I don't recall the specific model name.

There's probably an old thread here, in the archives, of someone who bought a pair of PS10's (or 12's) and an LS600 sub a few years ago. He also bought the 2ch analogue amp/processor if I remember correctly. He was very happy with that rig as I recall. (who wouldn't be?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 PM

Here's a video link to an ultra-compact NEXO rig (pair of PS10's with a single LS600 compact sub. This guy is underpowering the boxes quite a bit, but you'll still get the idea of what they can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKMZWZ7UkE
Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 PM

I read u15p and thought Meyer. I'm a huge fan of the Nexo 8's as well, though it's been awhile since I've been behind a set. My PA is Tannoy 12" tops and EV subs (though I'll sometimes use Sunfite subs for true low end response).
Old 06-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I read u15p and thought Meyer. I'm a huge fan of the Nexo 8's as well, though it's been awhile since I've been behind a set. My PA is Tannoy 12" tops and EV subs (though I'll sometimes use Sunfite subs for true low end response).
Here's Yorkvilles' U15P. Interesting design using Tom Danley's Summation Aperture Horn technology.

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/unity/product/u15p/
Old 06-15-2016, 10:19 PM

I'll get that sounds phenomenal. If you don't mind a slight thread derail, can you compare the Heil PR35 to any of the other "standard" vocal mics?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
I'll get that sounds phenomenal. If you don't mind a slight thread derail, can you compare the Heil PR35 to any of the other "standard" vocal mics?
It does. It handles every room that I play as well as a bunch of my outdoor venues with ease.

As far as the Heil vs. other "standard" mics... No comparison.

It's a very "hot" mic with a very big and full sound. Big diaphragm, very open sounding. It's good to stay a couple of inches off of it and moving in for quieter singing.

The only thing it doesn't handle well is "screamers." That's probably due to the larger diaphragm.

Find someone with one and try it out. I put it up against a Telefunken M80 that my friend had, and he bought a PR35 that night.

I own a Beta 87, two Beta 58's, SM57, Sennheiser E906, Sennheiser E835, Sennheiser E935, and have used a bunch of the other favorite's. All of the above mics sound great, but the PR35 is in an entirely different class.

My buddy that has been raving about his very expensive Neumann KMS 105 for a few years now, tried a PR35, and now the Heil is his go to live mic.

The rear rejection on it is fantastic. I don't get any bleed from the drums behind me. My buddy has the hookup with Heil and my duo partner and I got ours new for $180 a piece. Hers said "B Stock" on the box. There wasn't a mark on either.

Last edited by The Kid!; 06-15-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:21 PM

Last evening.

That porch got crazy packed after the free waterfront concert series let out. I really got to open up the system on last night! It was incredible.

I really love the fact that even tonight on this big outdoor patio, the system wasn't working hard and all, and I was definitely pushing some air. My old mains would have been stressed at the volume I was at when the porch filled up. Being able to select the crossover point is awesome.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
It does. It handles every room that I play as well as a bunch of my outdoor venues with ease.

As far as the Heil vs. other "standard" mics... No comparison.

It's a very "hot" mic with a very big and full sound. Big diaphragm, very open sounding. It's good to stay a couple of inches off of it and moving in for quieter singing.

The only thing it doesn't handle well is "screamers." That's probably due to the larger diaphragm.

Find someone with one and try it out. I put it up against a Telefunken M80 that my friend had, and he bought a PR35 that night.

I own a Beta 87, two Beta 58's, SM57, Sennheiser E906, Sennheiser E835, Sennheiser E935, and have used a bunch of the other favorite's. All of the above mics sound great, but the PR35 is in an entirely different class.

My buddy that has been raving about his very expensive Neumann KMS 105 for a few years now, tried a PR35, and now the Heil is his go to live mic.

The rear rejection on it is fantastic. I don't get any bleed from the drums behind me. My buddy has the hookup with Heil and my duo partner and I got ours new for $180 a piece. Hers said "B Stock" on the box. There wasn't a mark on either.
Thanks very much. "Standard" was probably a bit vague, but the SM58 et al is correct. I appreciate your insight.

I am going to be doing some small singer/songwriter gigs through a Jam 150. My voice is, hmmm... not excellent. I don't have very much in the way of projection, not do I have much range. In terms of tonality, think Jack Johnson-esque with less range on the high end, and slightly more gravely. Describing sound is fun...

One more question, if you don't mind: The PR35 being a hot mic sounds good in terms of my projection, or lack thereof. How would you describe your singing voice/vocal style?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

You might be interested in this review by Alan Moon at the bottom of the page:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Heil-PR...9999-02597.htm

Steve
Old 06-17-2016, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I'm sure it sounds great - but sure is a lot of gear for a solo act!
I was thinking the same things...

Oh and very cool rig!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post

Oh and very cool rig!
It isn't too bad with the cart.
I find that people are always offering to help when they see how much stuff I'm bringing in.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I'm sure it sounds great - but sure is a lot of gear for a solo act!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post

Oh and very cool rig!
Frankly, I consider a rig like that minimalistic for a professional-sounding set-up, and I applaud "The Kid!" for considering his audience, rather than solely satisfying himself on stage. I find that all too often, amateur solo performers don't consider the audiences' listening perspective when putting together what many refer to as a "P/A", which by definition is "public address",,,,,. What sounds "wonderful" on stage, may sound a heckuva lot different to an audience member who's 30-40 feet away (or more), especially outdoors. When "pro's" put together a show-rig, they plan for the best sound possible, right to the back-row. Better sound,,,happier audience,,, happier venue management,,,,, more repeat bookings,,,happier performer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification