The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Lesson here? There is a reason they are known as Guitar Denter. I have purchased from them before but once I leave with a guitar believe me they will never look upon it again. I would have insisted that they send it back to Kremona.

They should have insurance for their repair shop and should have simply covered the purchase price of the instrument or offered to replace it with another one as well as refunded the repair cost. Letting you keep the damaged instrument too would be considered going the extra mile.

Their offer to you after damaging your guitar is insulting.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Remember that GC does not employ actual luthiers - they employee "repair guys" that are more used to swapping out pickups on Strats, tightening loose jacks for cables, re-soldering bad wiring, and maybe changing out tuning machines (if that) - aka "parts changers". They really had no business taking on this sort of repair in the first place.

IMO the least they should do is also repair the crack, zero out the invoice, and maybe offer you a nice case or something by way of apology, having lowered any potential resale value of your now-damaged guitar by about half. And don't go there for repairs again (should go without saying)!
Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM

See if any of your local media news outlets have consumer watch segments. The press likes helping the underdog.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 PM

They need to replace the guitar with a new one. Don't even consider paying them for any part of their repair.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
I've never had any work done at GC, but I can't believe they wouldn't have offered to fix the crack they made for free. Or pay for you to have it repaired elsewhere if you don't want them flubbing around on your guitar anymore.

What he said...amen...I would NOT let this go. Call or go ask to meet & talk with MANAGER of store. Something not right...
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 08-11-2014, 06:45 PM

From a legal standpoint I think they have to return a guitar in the same condition as the one they received.

When they received the guitar it was a "used" guitar, and it was even playable due to the bridge issue.

I think it is unrealistic to expect a "new" guitar in return.

I would still see if you could maybe get all of the labor waived, and just pay for the strings.

I don't think they aren't legally obligated to do anything, but it seems like they are willing to make some amends.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily5malcolm4 View Post
Hello. I bought an inexpensive Kremona classical guitar at Guitar Center ($400) about a year and a half ago. A couple of days ago, the bridge of that guitar flew off the guitar top, pretty cleanly. I took it back to Guitar Center and they said they would glue it on for $120 plus strings. I said okay and they went to work. I got a call yesterday and they said the bridge was fixed but they had cracked the top of the guitar in the process of making the repair. I don't know what the crack looks like. They said they were sorry but these things happen and they said they would only charge me half price for the bridge repair. I have never had a guitar repaired before so I have a few questions. Will the crack be a problem (I know we haven't seen it). Should I demand more consideration for the crack? Waive the bridge fee completely? New cheap guitar? Again, I don't know what is reasonable but also fair. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ugh. Awful. I really don't think it's a good idea to have luthier work done at Guitar Center. At least at the ones around here, they look like total hacks. The funny thing is that a really good luthier would probably charge very little for this service because it is really quite simple.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 PM

I am surprsed gc has anyone who can perform repairs. Well, I guess we found out they don't really.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Could have repaired the bridge yourself for under fifty bucks. Brand new guitar sounds about right to me.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Sorry to hear this. Something needs to be done for sure. If I were in your position I would defiantly call the store and ask to speak with a Manager. If they are not able to work with you I would think you could take it higher up... GC has got to have a customer service number that you could call to file a complaint.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molder View Post
From a legal standpoint I think they have to return a guitar in the same condition as the one they received......I don't think they aren't legally obligated to do anything....
You contradict yourself.

They received the guitar uncracked. They are, by your admission, obligated to return it uncracked.

It is now cracked.

They, therefore have to "make it uncracked"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM

Do make sure that the manager or GC corporate is aware that the AGF is watching and waiting to see how this resolves. You might even print this whole thread out and hand it to the manager or forward it to corporate.The bad PR that follows isn't worth the small amount they may have to offer to get this right. They are, after all, in the business of selling guitars and can satisfy you in many ways at very little cost to GC.

Again I say, everybody makes mistakes. It's what he does afterwards to correct the mistake that defines the man (or business).

John

P.S. If I remember my law school days correctly, a business that takes possession of your property for business purposes (in this case for repair) has a duty to protect the property under the laws of bailment, and it is a higher duty than one owed for a non-business purpose or by a non-business ( i.e., leaving the guitar at a friend's house for your convenience). The duty is breached if they damage or lose your property. They may have repaired the bridge, but they didn't meet their obligation to protect your property. Two separate issues.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=kiva238;4080652]Do make sure that the manager or GC corporate is aware that the AGF is watching and waiting to see how this resolves. You might even print this whole thread out and hand it to the manager or forward it to corporate.The bad PR that follows isn't worth the small amount they may have to offer to get this right. They are, after all, in the business of selling guitars and can satisfy you in many ways at very little cost to GC.

QUOTE]

This is a pretty good idea.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 AM

Default Guitar Center Cracked My Guitar Top

Does anyone else find it appalling that they told the OP: "these things happen"???!!

Yeah, these things happen to people who aren't supposed to be trying to fix guitars when they don't know what they're doing.

I would demand a new guitar of equal value. Also agree with the suggestion to print this thread and show it their manager. Fazool said it best, an uncracked top is NOT the same as a repaired top. Considering the top flexes the most, that is one of the worst places for a crack.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
That Kremona guitar, if I remember correctly, should of had a 3 year warranty on it. GC should have told you of the option to have it shipped in for warranty repair on Krmona's dime (minus shipping probably). What GC did, if they are not a certified Kremona repair dealer, was crack your guitar and void the warranty at the same time.

I would be demanding a new guitar myself. They messed it up, they should make it right. If you complain loud enough, they should be able to swap it out for such a low dollar amount. There would be NO WAY I would PAY THEM for cracking my guitar!
I would not give them a dime. I have replaced a few bridges in my time and for them to crack the top proves that they were very sloppy with the original repair.
NGD for you I think!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitarcenter, kremona, repair