The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Just put black treble EJ32's on my classical and they are definitely not as bright as the clear treble EJ45's they replaced.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan King View Post
Just put black treble EJ32's on my classical and they are definitely not as bright as the clear treble EJ45's they replaced.
Hi Dan, a belated Welcome to the AGF.

Thanks for your input. I looked up both of those sets on the D'Addario website. The EJ45 is what I currently have on my La Patrie and the EJ32 is the Folk Nylon set with the 3 black strings. Good info to know about the brightness between the sets. Do you think you'll go back to the EJ45s?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Dan, a belated Welcome to the AGF.

Thanks for your input. I looked up both of those sets on the D'Addario website. The EJ45 is what I currently have on my La Patrie and the EJ32 is the Folk Nylon set with the 3 black strings. Good info to know about the brightness between the sets. Do you think you'll go back to the EJ45s?
I'm using an old Harmony 173. Just lowered the action at the bridge, which created a break angle problem using conventional classical strings tied at the bridge. Sooooooo, I had to go to ball end strings to increase the break angle and compensate for the too low bridge. I'm not thrilled with the "mellow" (flat to my ears) Folk strings, but can't go back without resetting the neck; not worth the cost to me for this instrument. I will be looking around for a set of nylon ball end strings that are a little brighter though.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan King View Post
I'm using an old Harmony 173. Just lowered the action at the bridge, which created a break angle problem using conventional classical strings tied at the bridge. Sooooooo, I had to go to ball end strings to increase the break angle and compensate for the too low bridge. I'm not thrilled with the "mellow" (flat to my ears) Folk strings, but can't go back without resetting the neck; not worth the cost to me for this instrument. I will be looking around for a set of nylon ball end strings that are a little brighter though.
One of the nylon sets I purchased (don't recall the brand) had nylon "beads" included. You slip the bead on the string and add a simple knot at the end to create your own "ball ends". I'm sure these are commonly available and could be used with any make of nylon classical string.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
One of the nylon sets I purchased (don't recall the brand) had nylon "beads" included. You slip the bead on the string and add a simple knot at the end to create your own "ball ends". I'm sure these are commonly available and could be used with any make of nylon classical string.
Thanks for the great solution!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical