The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Opinions and advice requested...

I have been a steel string player for 35 years and would like to try my hand (pun intended) at some classical guitar. I would like a good used instrument that is a true classical, not a crossover. I would like to spend less than $1,000. Where I live and with my job, travelling to play different models is not possible. So I've been watching eBay and reading old threads here on AGF.

Is this Cervantes a good value --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-19...item2eccfa60f4

Amy other suggestions or advice?

Many thanks,

Scott
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpetty View Post
Hey Scott...

Congrats on taking the classical plunge and I totally agree with going with a traditional classical guitar, rather than a hybrid. $1K can go a long way in the used market these days.

I did a little archive searching over on the Delcamp forum and found out that the Japanese manufacturer Asturias used the name "Cervantes" as an OEM brand for some of their guitars made back in the 70s/80s. There is little likelihood that this guitar has any association with Alejandro Cervantes who lives in San Diego, a fine classical builder. That being said, some of the Asturius workshop guitars are excellent, but they made quite a few lower level factory guitars as well. The one in your ebay ad has laminated back and sides and I think you can find something much better in an all-solid wood guitar for around $1K. Also, the seller is promoting a 30+ year old guitar as "mint" and that's a red flag in my book.

My two cents, pass on this one and look for an all-solid wood guitar that's a bit newer.

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 01-07-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: did some research on Delcamp
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks Fred - I really appreciate your advice.

Do you or any of the other AGF folks have a suggestion for good used classical models to keep an eye out for on eBay?

Scott
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Fred - I really appreciate your advice.

Do you or any of the other AGF folks have a suggestion for good used classical models to keep an eye out for on eBay?

Scott
I'm a big fan of the Kenny Hill New World Player series guitars and also keep an eye out for any of the Cordoba Loriente series guitars. Both the Hill and Cordoba guitars will be solid wood and a great value.

I'm sure some of the other AGF classical enthusiasts will have some good suggestions to add to your search list.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Opinions and advice requested...

If I had a grand, I'd get a student classical francisco Navarro through memorial music in Houston tx. You'll have an all wood guitar, change leftover if you negotiate, and you'll have a new guitar.

Im sure there are other options but my student flamenco model is great for the price. I have his concert classical with French Polish and it's wonderful...

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Scott:

I highly, highly recommend considering a nice Kenny Hill Player that is currently for sale in the AGF Classifieds. I can assure you this is a great price on a very nice all-solid wood classical guitar:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=318791

Fred
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Gosh, someone like me...

... but probably better looking.

I am in your boat as an asper old steel string player wishing to expand. Fortunately, I found a great guitar for less than integrity should have required me to offer. Shopping again, however, I would certainly look here: http://www.marcsilbermusic.com/. It's a funky website; look for the "inventory" button on the bottom of the home page.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM

I would consider http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?t=324229r

W
Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I'm a big fan of the Kenny Hill New World Player series guitars and also keep an eye out for any of the Cordoba Loriente series guitars. Both the Hill and Cordoba guitars will be solid wood and a great value.

I'm sure some of the other AGF classical enthusiasts will have some good suggestions to add to your search list.
Thanks again Fred - I'll keep a watch out for these guitars...

Scott
Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballbryan View Post
If I had a grand, I'd get a student classical francisco Navarro through memorial music in Houston tx. You'll have an all wood guitar, change leftover if you negotiate, and you'll have a new guitar.

Im sure there are other options but my student flamenco model is great for the price. I have his concert classical with French Polish and it's wonderful...

Bryan
Thanks Bryan - I'll look into this one a bit more. I'm not familiar with Navarro but it sounds great.

Scott
Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM

This is a great one but its in England
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuenca-90-co...item3f2e774b6b
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 PM

I've done some more looking and have bumped my upper limit up to $1500. These guitars have caught my interest and I would appreciate opinions regarding these models:

2004 Ramirez R4
Alvarez-Yairi CY-140 (not sure of year)
1997 Amalio Burguet 2A
2006 Amalio Burguet 3M
Cordoba Antonio Loriente Isabel S
Cordoba Antonio Loriente Carmen
Cordoba Antonio Loriente Clarita

Thanks again,

Scott

Last edited by smpetty; 02-07-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Cool

Quote:
I've done some more looking and have bumped my upper limit up to $1500. These guitars have caught my interest and I would appreciate opinions regarding these models:

2004 Ramirez R4
Alvarez-Yairi CY-140 (not sure of year)
1997 Amalio Burguet 2A
2006 Amalio Burguet 3M
Cordoba Antonio Loriente Isabel S
Cordoba Antonio Loriente Carmen
Cordoba Antonio Loriente Clarita

Thanks again,

Scott
Scott: I would check out the Alvarez Yairi. You can GOOGLE "YAIRI" and watch some interesting video about how they are made and quality they represent. CY-140 is a classical model, There is also a discontinued model, the CY 140-CE, which is a cutaway with nice electronics. I see there are a couple of them on EBAY. $1500 would be the price range for that one and a little less on the CY-140 (classical).
Good luck with your search...ENJOY the search.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Navarro

I have owned a Yairi CY140, a Loriente Marietta, a Contreras and a bunch of lesser guitars, and I fully agree with Softballbryan. My Navarro student Flamenco negra is easily my favorite of the ones I have owned. Comparitivly cheap also.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Cool Opinions and Advice on a classical guitar

If you're looking for a great sounding classical, I would highly recommend you jump on this baby. A handcrafted, Solid cedar top, rosewood back & sides, arched back, elevated fretboard, Smallman style lattice bracing, 650 scale length with a soundport, and to top it off...the addition of the half fret fingerboard! You won't be disappointed!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LATTICE-Clas...item2c7bffeaef

I recently made a deal on a similar model, but with a Engelmann spruce top, (I already own 3 cedar top classicals). This guitar is within your budget and I guarantee, the tone will blow you away!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical