The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Tell me about your Lakewood.

I find this model interesting...

Lakewood M32 CP

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-11-2018, 08:17 PM

I can only tell you about my Lakewood M1, a 2003 I bought used.

Body: Grand Concert
Top: AAA Engelman Spruce (solid)
Back and Sides : Mahogany (solid)
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony
Bridge: Ebony
Nut & Saddle: Bone
Nut Width: 44mm (1.73")
String Space at Bridge: 56mm (2.20")
Neck Thickness: 21-23mm (0.83-0.91")
Neck Profile: D round
Scale Length: 650mm (25.6")
Tuners: Schaller M6 Chrome
Finish: Open pored satin gloss natural.

Build quality and finish is impeccable. Indian Rosewood headstock veneer and heel cap.

I had always played a 2" neck classical and was on my way to a local music shop to buy a new Seagull S6 because I liked the 1.8" neck. I was new to steel acoustics and always had problems with the narrow necks. I stopped at a famous San Francisco used equipment dealer, Panhandle Guitars, just to see what Rob had around. He handed me the lakewood and it just felt great and I realized that, for me, the neck profile was more important than the width. Gave me a price that was more than I originally budgeted, but I bought it.

Rob is a very skilled technician and had done a great set-up setting the action somewhere typical electrics (his actual specialty) and typical acoustics. The tone and playability rate very high, at least by my estimation. Still playing with strings, but the Martins that it came with, Newtone Heritages, and the GHS I just put on are all more than acceptable.

If you haven't been to their website, the Lakewood story is really interesting. If you are buying new, you can customize and order on the website, but they will only deliver through a dealer. I don't know if anyone here actually stocks Lakewood, but I believe that L.A Guitars is a delivering dealer. A full listing is available on the Lakewood website.

Hope this helps a little.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Been watching Daria YT videos of her playing a Lakewood, eh?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM

Our Lakewood is a fairly sizable city on the westside of Cleveland. Lots of older homes, very much like all the great, older houses in my neighborhood, Cleveland Heights. There are some nice antiques shops nearby, one, in particular, that we have bought some very early 20th century Gustav Stickley pieces from.

Reason for this description? Lakewood is where the guitar builder got the name for his business.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:45 AM

As Lakewood is a german manufacturer, I have played quite a few.

Build Quality is absolutely stunning/perfect. Taylor-like, if you will. They are a little less "techie" and a little "more traditional", you can order them with Baggs Systems, and not the "very invasive" ES-2 with holes and cables all over the guitar, for example.

Sound is too much a personal thing to say something about that. LAkewood Signature-Sound may be described as: "modern, but not sterile" You can easily decide/choose via the choice of woods. The company is not too big, so you can speak to Martin Seeliger directly, and he is still involved in building (at least I have the impression) and not only an office- and marketing -person.

I would think that there is always a stupid fashion that manufacturers from overseas are more "en vogue" than your neighbour, so I went with Taylors for no judicious reason. If I were less stupid I would be a very, very happy Lakewood owner/player and save loads of money.

There are quite a few well-known bands and artists here in Germany that stay with Lakewood for years. You only hear good things about their service, but of course that would not help you in the states very much.

If yuo will like it - I don't know. But they are really very good guitars.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had Lakewoods since, maybe the late 90s.
I saw a 12 string (Grand concert shape?) in a shop which couldn't be passed and later I got a 6 to go with it. Beautifully made and fine sound.

I still miss the 12.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Lakewoods are outstanding. I lived in Germany and got to play lots of them. I find them more dry sounding similar sound to a Webber. I've had 8-10 over he years and My old M32 was the most balanced guitar I've owned...

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I find this model interesting...

Lakewood M32 CP
Very nice, tried one out earlier this year, Clean steely tone, lovely neck and feel for fingerstyle, loved the 46mm nut width.

I bought a Furch in the end (G23CRC) which has a deeper bass (bigger body) but mainly because it was grand cheaper than the Lakewood for a guitar in the same league. I still watch that Lakewood model on Ebay though, and may yet get one when I sell some gear.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Been watching Daria YT videos of her playing a Lakewood, eh?
Not lately, but she was the first that made me aware of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeperbahn View Post
As Lakewood is a german manufacturer, I have played quite a few.

Build Quality is absolutely stunning/perfect. Taylor-like, if you will. They are a little less "techie" and a little "more traditional", you can order them with Baggs Systems, and not the "very invasive" ES-2 with holes and cables all over the guitar, for example.

Sound is too much a personal thing to say something about that. LAkewood Signature-Sound may be described as: "modern, but not sterile" You can easily decide/choose via the choice of woods. The company is not too big, so you can speak to Martin Seeliger directly, and he is still involved in building (at least I have the impression) and not only an office- and marketing -person.

I would think that there is always a stupid fashion that manufacturers from overseas are more "en vogue" than your neighbour, so I went with Taylors for no judicious reason. If I were less stupid I would be a very, very happy Lakewood owner/player and save loads of money.

There are quite a few well-known bands and artists here in Germany that stay with Lakewood for years. You only hear good things about their service, but of course that would not help you in the states very much.

If yuo will like it - I don't know. But they are really very good guitars.
Understood. I'm wondering if I should just get a Taylor from a walk in store and buy one I can play and have immediately or go with the online purchase and hope I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Very nice, tried one out earlier this year, Clean steely tone, lovely neck and feel for fingerstyle, loved the 46mm nut width.

I bought a Furch in the end (G23CRC) which has a deeper bass (bigger body) but mainly because it was grand cheaper than the Lakewood for a guitar in the same league. I still watch that Lakewood model on Ebay though, and may yet get one when I sell some gear.
Critical information. A Furch G23CRC is on top of my list. Finding one to play though will be a road trip for me.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-12-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 AM

Sure! I own two of them.

M-32: Early 2000s model. No cutaway. My go-to traveling axe. I don't have anything negative to say about it. Phenomenal value - one of the best out there.

M-54: Discontinued. Late 90s / early 2000s model. No cutaway. This is the blingy version of the M-32. Adirondack top with Brazilian back and sides. Quite possibly the greatest guitar I've ever played. Took me 10 years to track one down in the states.

Feel free to ask any specific questions about either model.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Our Lakewood is a fairly sizable city on the westside of Cleveland. Lots of older homes, very much like all the great, older houses in my neighborhood, Cleveland Heights. There are some nice antiques shops nearby, one, in particular, that we have bought some very early 20th century Gustav Stickley pieces from.

Reason for this description? Lakewood is where the guitar builder got the name for his business.
Actually, if you read the company history, the company is named after your town by the sheer coincidence of c=the founder closing his eyes and pointing to a U.S map. He wanted to build American style steel strings in Europe and wanted an American name.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 09-19-2018, 08:03 AM

I have a european spruce/zircote cutaway (45), similar to Ulli Boergershausen's. I toured the factory in Germany, had lunch with Martin and the shop crew. The guitar is beautiful with an immaculate build. The guitar was a bit tight sounding when it was new but has opened up wonderfully over time (used the tonerite on it)

https://vimeo.com/285944328

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion