The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Default 12th Cordoba on the way!

LOL... yeah, I know... I should sing a new tune. Can't help it. I love Cordoba products!

This time I took advantage of Sweetwater's 48 month, no interest promotion. Have been playing my Mini-R all morning. It's so handy to sit here in my recliner, watching TV for hours, noodling, writing songs, etc. Even more handy than a parlor guitar.

Anyways... I've been wanting a cutaway Mini with electronics since they came out, but wasn't wild about the ovankol version. The spalted maple SM-CEs have been out for a while now. So I decided that it was time to get one. Would be neat to throw one in for a few songs at gigs now and then. The particular example that I bought has a beatiful back. Will post pics when it arrives on Thursday. May even try to work it in during my gig next Sat if I can get it set up to my satisfaction in time. That usually only involves sanding the saddle down to acheive the best action. I dig my Mini-R, so I have no reason to believe that I won't love the SM-CE.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM

Cool!

I'm very close to my first. Gotta decide on F7 or F7paco...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Cool!

I'm very close to my first. Gotta decide on F7 or F7paco...
Good deal. I wish that I could offer an opinion, but haven't played either model. I was close to ordering a blem Paco on ebay last week, because the price was so good $300-something). But I talked myself out of it because I love my F10 and two GK Pros so much that it wouldn't get played. I've wanted a 45FP so bad, because I would like a flamenco with pegs. But again, I can't imagine liking it more than my three all-solid wood guitars... so I don't want it sitting in the closet unplayed.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:10 PM

I hear ya.

The F10 is definitely on my radar...I'm selling a few things I'm not playing/using...if things go well, I might chance it and order an f10. But there's an f7 at a shop locally I know I actually like...but I'd imagine an f10''s even better.

I'm no flamenco player, but I love the shallower body for comfort and crisp attack for the jazz stuff I do. So I think either one will be plenty of flamenco guitar for me!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Pics from the actual Sweetwater ad. The figuration of the spalted maple back, sides, and headstock faceplate were what put this particular example over the top for me. I've been watching these since they debuted, and this is my favorite. I really like the random nature of woods like spalted maple, Brazilian rosewood, white ebony, etc. I do also like the relative perfection of the lines in Indian rosewood and other similar woods... but the "art of nature" in the more random patterned woods catches my interest more these days.

Last edited by Red_Label; 03-13-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 AM

WOW !! Nice looking mini!!

What is the availability for ball end nylon strings? I only ask because it took me a while to finally settle on the type and brand strings for my GK Pro.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
WOW !! Nice looking mini!!

What is the availability for ball end nylon strings? I only ask because it took me a while to finally settle on the type and brand strings for my GK Pro.
Good question man. I bought several more sets of the Cordoba branded Mini strings from Strings By Mail. But I've only changed the strings once on my Mini-R once and it was quite a while back, so I don't remember if there was a ball end or not. Considering the fact that the Minis have regular acoustic end pins, I would think that they are ball ends. Will have to check on that.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

The new Mini showed up yesterday. Beautiful instrument! Love the little guy. Plays well and sounds very good plugged-in, as well as unplugged (for a small instrument). Definitely money well spent. I can see it getting a lot of use as I'm stuck in my recliner starting late next week, following back surgery.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM

I have a mini. I buy the La Bella strings for smaller instruments.

I just tie a knot at one end of the string. Works fine.

You can also add a "ball" that you've cut out of a steel string, a pop it on top of the knot for extra secure fitting.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I have a mini. I buy the La Bella strings for smaller instruments.

I just tie a knot at one end of the string. Works fine.

You can also add a "ball" that you've cut out of a steel string, a pop it on top of the knot for extra secure fitting.
I will try that. I like the Cordoba branded Mini strings and have a stock of them built up, but it never hurts to try different strings.

I wish that Luthier made strings for Minis. I use their Popular Supreme 20 strings for my flamencos and despite having tried various other strings, I keep coming back to them again and again. So I've stockpiled a couple dozen sets for them and will continue to build that stockpile up. If they were good enough for Paco... they're certainly good enough for the likes of me!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Btw... I can hear a difference in tone between the new Mini and my old Mini-R. That one has a slightly bigger, more rounded tone. The SM-CE is brighter and thinner. But plugged-in I can add as much body as I want. I would be curious about a Mini R-CE model and wish they'd make one. I could use my lavalier mic or install a K&K system on my Mini-R, but that wouldn't give me a cutaway or built-in active electronics.

At any rate... I really like both Minis and think that they are a great couch guitar, or substitute for a uke when you don't want to deal with different tunings or want more range. I took my Lanakai tenor uke (that I bought on my honeymoon on Maui 10 years ago) and hung it on the wall the other day as a piece of "art" and memorabilia. Since I have two six string uke substitutes around now (three if you include my Cordoba Guilele), I no longer need to maintain the fretboard and tuning knowledge that ukes require. I'm all about simplification and trying to do things to be more focused. Why settle for four strings when I can have six?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

The Cordobas I have played, and everything I have read about them, indicates that they are really, really nice instruments. Congrats!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Sorry, just to be clear:

I buy the La Bella strings for shorter scales (speciality sets)

AND tune to E standard

Please don't buy these and try to tune to A.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Sorry, just to be clear:

I buy the La Bella strings for shorter scales (speciality sets)

AND tune to E standard

Please don't buy these and try to tune to A.
LOL! Glad you clarified man! Ha ha. I do have a couple of the Cordoba sets for tuning to E instead of A. But haven't tried those yet. I dig the uke tones on the Minis when tuned A to A.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical