The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Default Repairing a Crack

So, my Larrivee's crack got a little bit bigger and I wanted to see how to prevent it from spreading further along the back. So, two main questions:
1) How do I stop the crack? (currently, I am re-humidifying the guitar with 2 dampits i the sound hole)
2) The frets are a little sharp on the bottom - what type of file do I need to fix that?

Thanks guys
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Default where's the crack?

Is the crack in the wood itself, or in a seam?

Your two comments together make me think you've got a humidity issue. When my house gets very dry, I find that my fretboards seem to literally shrink as they dry out - and the frets feel sharp.

Since you're rehumidifying the guitar, I'm not sure I'd do anything until it's humidified. If the frets are still sharp when it stabilizes (hypothesis might be that as the fretboard takes on some humidity, the sharp ends may "back into" the fretboard again. If not, I'd get a fretfile and carefully round the sharp edges. I'd take a look at frets.com - Frank Ford's got some great step by steps on doing a neck reset - with a good section on dressing frets.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Long View Post
Is the crack in the wood itself, or in a seam?

Your two comments together make me think you've got a humidity issue. When my house gets very dry, I find that my fretboards seem to literally shrink as they dry out - and the frets feel sharp.

Since you're rehumidifying the guitar, I'm not sure I'd do anything until it's humidified. If the frets are still sharp when it stabilizes (hypothesis might be that as the fretboard takes on some humidity, the sharp ends may "back into" the fretboard again. If not, I'd get a fretfile and carefully round the sharp edges. I'd take a look at frets.com - Frank Ford's got some great step by steps on doing a neck reset - with a good section on dressing frets.
Hey Corky Long, thanks for the reply. The crack is in the direct middle of the guitar's back, so I am guessing it's on the seam.

Should I stop re-humidifying the guitar and let it dry, then apply glue and then re-humidify it?

I'll take a look at the files at frets.com
Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Hey Corky Long, thanks for the reply. The crack is in the direct middle of the guitar's back, so I am guessing it's on the seam.

Should I stop re-humidifying the guitar and let it dry, then apply glue and then re-humidify it?

I'll take a look at the files at frets.com
no, I wouldnt do that - for a couple of reasons. You want to keep your guitar at 40% plus relative humidity. Letting it get lower than that was the cause of the issue. Also, the glue would dry far faster than the top would rehumidify.

I'd keep it humidified, get it back to equilibrium, then work a little titebond into the seam where it's separated. Wipe the surface clean with a damp cloth. You dont want the titebond to dry on the suface of the back. Make sure you take a reference of where the seam is,though. (removable blue tape alongside the crack?) Once it's humidifed, you may not even be able to see where the separation is.

Frankly, I've got the same crack in my taylor and I haven't bothere to glue it - I dont think it's getting any worse, either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair