The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Default 2007 R.Taylor 1 Alpine Spurce/EIR - sold pending payment

2007 R. Taylor style one. EC. EIR/Alpine Moon Spruce. Addie braces. exc+ OHSC - pending payment

Not playing this enough to justify holding onto it, and frankly I need the money. Love this guitar and I will miss the tone of this special guitar greatly if it moves on but time for me to admit I am not serious enough about playing. This one has a very good tone thanks to the asymmetrical bracing and very nice set of “moonspruce” from the supply Bob Taylor purchased in 2005. Supposedly the wood was collected twice a year at night, etc. It also has full Adirondack bracing which was not common on the models of this vintage. The bracing is asymmetrical which is an alteration of the X brace. Gives it very even string to string tone with very deep register but responds to light touch very well. It is very even across the register. Previous owner played it with light strings as a professional plugged in mostly. There is minor wear around the sound hole and general signs of use as it has been played for 10 years. None of the wear is easily photographed or heavy, just signs of having been played. As such this guitar is not a hang it on the wall “collector”, and I will not sell it as such. Condition is excellent+ but it is not mint as it has been heavily played. Geometry is mint, top shows original shape no bulging of deformation. Frets are solid, and no wear that is visible to me (probably polished and leveled by Tim Lurnac at Taylor). It has mediums now and really growls. This guitar is a real player.

This is a link to the wood supplier R. Taylor used

Below is the description from Guitars44me.

New (8/22/17) neck set, buff, inspection and setup by Tim Luranc.
Tim was the Head Luthier in charge of RT! He has played this guitar at gigs with me and REALLY likes it a lot! Tim Luranc is now Senior Repair Tech at Taylor Repair in El Cajon! He has setup guitars for hundreds of big name stars for Taylor for decades. You will see why they ask for his TLC!

25 1/2 inch long scale. R.T Slim carve neck! 1 3/4 inch nut. 2.25 inch string spacing at saddle. For older or smaller hands, the slim carve neck is very comfortable! However, if you have large hands or fingers you may be happier with a larger neck.

Action is 6/64 or 3/32 inch at the big Estring and 4/64 or 2/32 at the small E. This is Taylor's recommended action height. Very versatile. Works well for finger style and accepts hard flatpicking with grace and ease.

R.Taylor's style one is the same size as the Taylor Grand Symphony. But there are several significant structural differences under the hood. 16 5/16" inch lower bought. Kind of like an oversized dreadnought with more curves.

Super smooth and accurate brushed gold Gotoh 510 tuners, with black ebony look buttons to lighten the headstock a bit.

R. Taylor bone nut and wave compensated bone saddle. Aftermarket bone bridge pins added to wring out a tiny bit more tone.

Beautiful Ab rosette, and dots on the neck.

Original Ameritage Taylor branded OHSC, is in excellent condition. All latches work perfectly. No dings or gouges, and it smells fine. These cases are extremely protective, although they are heavy. Fits the guitar like a glove, and does the job admirably!

Factory installed ES system works perfectly. I took it to Tim L at the factory, and had the pick up upgraded to the ES 1.3 system. This is the last pickup that Taylor used until the ES2, and still installs as a special order. Taylor literature describes this pick up as sounding the most like a good condenser microphone.

So, to be clear, it is the 2010 redesign of the ES. This has the magnetic sensor embedded in the neck, and one body sensor on the inside of the top.

FYI, if you occasionally clean your frets with steel wool, be careful to completely cover the sound hole! Magnetic pickups do not like steel wool shavings. A lot of pickups which have problems are result of bits of steel wool attaching to the magnetic pups. This has never happened on this guitar, as I only clean frets with a Scotch-Brite pad.

Speaking of careful maintenance, this guitar has been kept in its properly humidified case when not being played or massaged with a ToneRite guitar vibrator. And stored in my climate controlled, humidity monitored, plant filled music room. In my non-smoking pet free home. Yes, perhaps I am a bit obsessive…

This guitar sounded incredible when I bought it! It had been played enough to open up nicely. Now that has been hung MANY times for a week at a time with the ToneRite, the sound is out of this world. Perfectly balanced, incredibly warm, lush, and fat. Huge low end, yet clear as a bell.

I am the second owner of this guitar. I purchased her in 2011, at Buffalo Brothers guitars in North San Diego County, gently used. She has been babied ever since.

Even though I prefer a smaller guitar as I am old and beat up, I could not resist the siren song this magnificent instrument. I a/b compared this guitar to over $500,000 worth of guitars, over the course of three visits to Buffalo Brothers! At the time they had 29 R.Ts, and this one took the cake.

R.Taylor was a completely separate company from Taylor guitars. Their guitars took about three times as long to make, due to extensive individual voicing and handwork. Unfortunately they turned out to be in competition with Taylor's Build To Order and custom guitar programs. They ceased production at the end of 2011. I have it on good authority from folks I know who worked at R.T. that if they ever start up production again the guitars will be a lot more expensive!

R.Taylor only made about 200 guitars a year for six years. In contrast the two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per day!

R.T.s have significant structural differences from any other Taylors. Among them, solid Kerfing resulting in extremely rigid sides, which allowed the top to be made a bit lighter and braced a bit lighter, which needs to be done by hand, resulting in more volume, and better tone!

Also, the "snake head" headstock results in considerably smoother tuning due to a straighter string angle over the nut. And the Gotoh 510 tuners cannot be beat!

Last edited by wooglins; 09-22-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM

Wowza what a deal [emoji106]
Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Indeed - at this price the next buyer should be over the moon.....

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 09-18-2018, 03:16 PM

Beautiful! Consider any trades? I'd love to get my hands on this one..
Old 09-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec the Viking View Post
Beautiful! Consider any trades? I'd love to get my hands on this one..
I really need to sell. This is a stunning guitar.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

One of the best deals on the board right now, from a great seller. If I didn't already have a spruce/rosewood Style 1, I'd be buying this one.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM

Would love to have this one if I were not overloaded. This should go fast at this price.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Too dang cheap... haha

Wooglins, you have lost it!

First, the condition is WAY BETTER than you make it sound! I know you have not played it that much, and when it was just here for the visit I took it to Tim Luranc at Taylor Repair in El Cajon and he checked it completely and buffed it out!

Again folks this was just Set Up and dialed by the Head Luthier for RT the entire six years they built! That is some serious mojo, kids!!!

Really, this axe is in fine fine condition and needs nothing!

Yes it has been played, and a bunch by me but not that many gigs and the wear is minimal and this is structurally totally sound and the playability is off the charts.

I really think this may be the deal of the AGF at the moment!

I wish I had the coins and was not hip deep in guitars!

If whoever buys this is not stoked I will buy them a six pack!!!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Oh baby...THAT is a SMOKIN' deal on an RT. "hip deep in guitars", yes your honor, that would be me. Or...I'd be ALL over this one!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

A great deal on a great guitar is a great thing. But getting a fantastic sounding RT style 1 is way beyond "great" at any fair price. I currently own three of them and a one style 3.

I have played this guitar, also, and can say that it is a true gem. Like Paul said, I think that the condition is being under represented. It's been about a year or two since I had this in possession for a short time while testing it for purchase. I would have kept it if not for the duplication of sound to one of my others.

Anyone wishing to satisfy their curiosity about R Taylor build and sound quality .... you won't find a better opportunity than with this one.

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM

It is in excellent condition and is a stunning instrument that has been played enough to nicely open up.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Still available for now.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:12 PM

I'm really glad this is Grand Symphony body. I just don't want something that big. If it were a GA body Inwould be dangerously tempted!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars