The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Been playing almost 6 decades....reasonable care is all that's needed.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The OP is pretty clearly a new(ish) player, or at least new to higher end / expensive instruments. Otherwise, the question would not have been asked. I still believe giving a straight, kind answer is better than letting someone continue down a fruitless path, but criticism for doing is so is becoming more and more prevalent. It severely diminishes my interest in responding at all.
OP here. Yes I’m a new player of two years with my first upscale guitar purchase of a D-18... it’s so darn pretty I’d hate to screw it up. Never had a problem with the Seagull but the headstock material is completely different.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Minor scratches on the headstock (or anywhere else) are neither visible nor important to any audience. I know several professionals who play exactly the kind of of gigs you describe. They care more about being in tune. Your proposed scenario doesn't exist in the real world.

Consider all those old scratched up "fiddles" at the orchestra. When's the last time any of those folks decided to pitch their 200 year old instruments for shiny new ones?

When people ask for advice, sometimes the most helpful response is to let them know they're asking the wrong question. In this case the sooner we help people get over the nonsensical obsession with cosmetic perfection the better. That said, it does sometimes seem that people just want to believe what they believe despite the facts. Perhaps it is better to just say nothing....
I don't, but some people just want to keep their guitars pristine.
IMO that's okay, and they don't have to explain or justify.

People just vary.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:25 PM

You could probably modify one of these:

Seems to be about the right size, too.

And, you could keep spare picks in it.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
Freaked out about scratching while changing strings. I saw one posted in the classified here. Is there another option besides “be careful”.
45 years of playing guitar and more string changes than I can count. Never once even came close to scratching the headstock. This is a hunt for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 06-17-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Minor scratches on the headstock (or anywhere else) are neither visible nor important to any audience. I know several professionals who play exactly the kind of of gigs you describe. They care more about being in tune. Your proposed scenario doesn't exist in the real world.

Consider all those old scratched up "fiddles" at the orchestra. When's the last time any of those folks decided to pitch their 200 year old instruments for shiny new ones?

When people ask for advice, sometimes the most helpful response is to let them know they're asking the wrong question. In this case the sooner we help people get over the nonsensical obsession with cosmetic perfection the better. That said, it does sometimes seem that people just want to believe what they believe despite the facts. Perhaps it is better to just say nothing....
Let me just say the OP has a legitimate concern and he posted it up to get some good idea's from the forum members. Hopefully he gained something from his post. The trouble is, I think it's buried in the garbage... somewhere.

Lets face it... 85% of us here, when we pay big bucks for a good guitar, we want it to remain in excellent condition. For gosh sakes, that's human nature.

So, OP, disregard the majority of posts here and secure a cloth to the head stock. Or any material that will protect the wood from the metal because we all know, metal vs. wood... Metal wins every time.!!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:58 PM

Been playing forever. 20 years ago I got a Martin slot head. I remember freaking out thinking about the strings flopping all over the slot head during a string change. Sent an e-mail to Stan Jay, whom I’d bought the guitar from. His advice-don’t worry about it. It’s a guitar. Play it, love it. End of story.

RIP Stan.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM

OP here.. thanks for all the info.. just be careful and do what I think will make me feel better...
Old 06-17-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm shaking my head to all the responses that say don't think about it.

Just last week I put some Retro's on my Larrivee. When tuning up the new strings I noticed a scratch on the Ebony headstock plate. Darn.!!! But, within 3 days ?I had rubbed it out...actually, I just looked and it's still there.

So to say this just doesn't happen is wrong. And it is coming from people who have 1,000's of posts.?? I guess those people have to back up a couple decades and remember when you paid big bucks for your first Martin. What word came out of your mouth when you first dinged your new Martin... 15 or 20 years ago.?? Ya, that's what I thought.

Let me be clear, I marked my headstock last week while changing strings. I'm over it. These things happen. I know where the OP is coming from. Everyone knows where he's coming from. Help him out why dontcha.??....
Old 06-17-2018, 05:19 PM

I am more concerned about poking myself in the eye when changing strings and always wear glasses after a few close calls over the past 40 years or so
Old 06-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Stop the madness, be careful, accept the occasional scratch or ding, and enjoy your guitars. Seriously, obsessing over every little thing only diminishes the joy of your music. Wanton disregard for instrument care is likely not the best choice, but neither is an excessive focus on keeping one in perfect condition.
I will agree with you on wood guitars. There is just something super cool about naturally relic'd guitars when made of wood.

Carbon fiber on the other hand often looks like a brand new Italian sports car- especially Emerald. A few scuffs or dings on those and they start looking like old beat up cars that someone didn't take very good care of.

That's my dos centavos anywayz
Old 06-17-2018, 06:31 PM

Never bothered me.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Never bothered me.

That's a guitar, not a bullroarer!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I'm shaking my head to all the responses that say don't think about it.

Just last week I put some Retro's on my Larrivee. When tuning up the new strings I noticed a scratch on the Ebony headstock plate. Darn.!!! But, within 3 days ?I had rubbed it out...actually, I just looked and it's still there.

So to say this just doesn't happen is wrong. And it is coming from people who have 1,000's of posts.?? I guess those people have to back up a couple decades and remember when you paid big bucks for your first Martin. What word came out of your mouth when you first dinged your new Martin... 15 or 20 years ago.?? Ya, that's what I thought.

Let me be clear, I marked my headstock last week while changing strings. I'm over it. These things happen. I know where the OP is coming from. Everyone knows where he's coming from. Help him out why dontcha.??....
Hey, OP...be careful.

How’s that?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
.... but imagine showing up for a fingerstyle gig of background instrumental music in a tuxedo for a formal affair and your guitar is scratched up and dinged all over. Not a good look.
Hm, I made an effort to picture this in my mind. I know, the finger style crowd tends to be a bit more refined than most of us bluegrass bumpkins, but a tuxedo...? Seriously...?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion