The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still have your FIRST guitar?
Don't have it. Sold it within 6 months of buying it. 7 3.85%
Don't have it. Sold it within one year of buying it. 15 8.24%
Don't have it, but kept it for a long while. 61 33.52%
Don't have it, kept it for a long while, regretting the sale. 7 3.85%
Still have it but it's been less than a year since I bought it. 2 1.10%
Still have it, been over a year now. 90 49.45%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 AM

The first guitar I owned: a very lowly nylon string labeled "Checkmate" that I bought at a J C Penny's store after Christmas in 1974. Learned to play on it. Brass frets, painted "fretboard" that is just a finish on the top of the neck's hardwood. It's a fairly large body for a nylon string guitar though. Huge neck too, which may be while I still like larger necks to this day.

My memory is that I paid $40 or so. I just looked at an inflation calculator and it says that 1974's $40 is nearly $500 today. Amazing isn't it, how much better constructed instrument that kind of money buys today!

Played it for a few years regularly and eventually got an all laminated wood 12-string (still have that too) and eventually a steel string flattop guitar. During its playing years it acquired a Texas Transducer stick-on pickup which I used to plug in through my pedal board and electric guitar amp. Nylon strings plus fuzz-tone, now that's a sonic mix you don't hear much today.

Yes, I still have it. I took it out of it's cardboard case last summer and recorded it for old times' sake. That recording, and a picture of it at this post on my blog:

On the Troop Ship to Gallipoli

I play with a flat pick now, while I was trying to finger pick when learning on it back in the day, so that brightens the attack on this. No, it's a proper electric guitar doing the fuzz tone at the end this time.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly9000 View Post
Started with this circa 1973...she's a wallhanger now but I still have her

Interesting guitar, but do you wild each it?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:47 PM

No.

My first guitar was a crap no name acoustic from a pawn shop for $45 in 1991. It was unplayable really. My parents saw I was serious about learning and for Christmas that year they got me a Squier II Strat and an RMS amp. I was thrilled to no end. Lessons began immediately.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Yes still have it, still use it. Bought new in 79.
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 06-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Yes still have it, still use it. Bought new in 79.

That was your first guitar? Dang!
Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 PM

First guitar was a cheap crappy plywood classical with a baseball bat of a neck...a Franciscan, if I recall correctly. Good for learning the basics, intonation sucked above the 4th fret. I kept it for about 23 years before selling it at a garage sale many years ago. I wasn’t playing it, and it was a serviceable beginner guitar. Hard to be nostalgic about something that brings you no particular joy in playing, other than memories of being 13 years old.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
1980/81 Ibanez. It has a violent history, and lots of sentimental value. It's at the shop right now, waiting in line for a restoration. I know the cost of restoration is way beyond the monetary value. I decided to do it anyway. I could buy a nice, used Larrivee 03 or 40 for what I am spending on repairs.

Your guitar had a violent history. Do you want to tell us more about that? Did it hurt somebody?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Still have it, 23yrs now! Other details are in my signature.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Yikes, old 50s or 60s Gibson, but had no idea what model at the time it disappeared (innocent 80s). It was a beat hand-me-down from my uncle. Left it in the car parked on a Ashby Ave in Berkeley next to People's Park during college. Poof! Somebody ripped the top, stole the guitar and the stereo. Massive hit for college student and put a long damper on guitar playing.

It made it pretty far though ... my uncle got it around 1960, gave it to me in about 77 and then Berkeley incident in about 89 ... just before the Loma Prieda earthquake.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Well worth a restoration, considering its unique curb appeal!!
I agree!

So, about that "violent history"... No, the guitar didn't hurt anyone except for the fact that I felt like crap for weeks after the first incident. I was walking out of a "extended college party" with the guitar in hand. No case. I was very inebriated to say the least. I tripped over a large rock and fell into a pile of gravel. I did my best to save the guitar and suffered a very bad impact and abrasion on the back of my left hand. It looked like hamburger. The guitar did hit the ground causing a large spider crack in the finish starting at the base of the lower bout but seemed to only affect the finish. I had it checked out and no braces were loose etc. I continued to play it until I saw a 1988 Collector's Edition Ovation sitting in the window of the local music store. I traded it in.

My hand took a long time to heal completely.

My then fiancee, and now wife of 31 years, was not happy about that. She loved the Ibanez. It's the guitar I was playing when we met. Without my knowledge, she went to he local music shop and bought it back from them. She wrapped it up, and gave it to me as my wedding gift at our rehearsal dinner.

Fast forward 12 or so years and one day I was unloading the guitars after a jam session with some friends. I left the Ibanez, in its case, on the floor of the garage for just a minute while I carried other things into the house. My wife arrived and proceeded to pull the Mercedes M320 SUV into the garage. She never saw the guitar case. She ran over it causing it to launch across the garage, slamming into the concrete wall and then landing on the concrete garage floor. The case was mangled. The guitar survived mostly intact except now it had some broken braces inside.

It also needs a neck reset.

So that's the story of my Ibanez Ragtime Special. I look forward to the day when I can play it once again.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:46 AM

Sometime around 1969 I bought my first guitar, as I remember it, it was a small-ish steel string guitar and I thought it was the greatest thing I’d ever owned. For about a week. That’s when I saw “a real guitar” and realized mine didn’t look like every other guitar I saw. For the record, all these other guitars were dreadnaughts and mine was just smaller. No idea what brand or model, it was the only thing I could afford since my entire life savings was $14.

I played mine for years all while saving money to get a “real” guitar. I can’t be exactly sure but I think I traded in that first guitar towards a “real” one that I still have. That was around 1973ish. Finally I owned a guitar that looked like every one else’s guitar. It even cane with its own cardboard case!

She’s no longer playable so I bought her a nice wooden case where she is living out her retirement in peace, lifting bridge notwithstanding.

Best,
PJ
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM

yep.. I still have my first acoustic guitar.
Late 80's Takamine F-340..
Bought it at Guitar Showcase San Jose CA
Had it about 30 years!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 AM

My first guitar was the Seagull S6+ in my signature. I have had it for 20 years. 10 years ago I would have told you it was the best sounding guitar on the planet. However, as I get more experience with nice acoustics, I realize that I think the guitar is great, but not my favorite tone by a long shot these days.

I played primarily electric guitar for 18 years. These last 2 years have been pretty much acoustic only and I'm learning so much about acoustic guitars and what I like. It's been fun and refreshing.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Still have my Korean Applause by Ovation AE28. Not sure the year it was made, late 80's is my guess. If the neck weren't so thin I'd play it more. Fun guitar.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
That was your first guitar? Dang!
Yup, I had been borrowing my sister’s Fender F25 while learning with a friend who had a Gibson Country & Western. I loved the tone on that Gibby and landed my first good paying job and went guitar shopping. I always bought the best quality I could afford and when I strummed this Bird, I had to have it. $895. Canadian with case. Still have the receipts.
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion