The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM

Default Epiphone EL-00 Pro/Fender Sonroran SCE

I saw one of these used, online, and decided to go play a new one, this afternoon. A few takeaways;

I really enjoyed the size and feel. And I liked the way it played, not soundwise, but in the way I felt, playing it. Hope that makes sense!

I've read a few comments here, on a few threads, where people found the EL-00 a bit "dull" sounding, when strummed. I found the same. True, the nue and saddle are cheap plastic, and I am finding I prefer a brighter tone, versus the deeper tones (not so much spruce, but cedar over mahogany, presently). Has anyone found these EL-00's "brighten up" with a bone nut and saddle, and, say, D'Addario EXP16 coated PBs? Or maybe even 80/20's?? Maybe this would be the kicker, to make me want one of these, because they do have a nice size - not parlour size.

Back to brightness. I played and S&P Parlor (spruce) and it sounded bright, and could handle moderate strumming. My Ami (cedar) can, as well. I found the EL-00 could handle strumming, as well, at least for me, but again, no brightness at all. Dull! Sad.

I will say the EL-00 sounded nice, fingerpicked. But I don't want a one-dimensional instrument.

Was also thinking of a cheap, online, Fender Sonoran SCE. Reviews seem stellar, for the most part. I played the Newport, as the Sonoran is no loner in stock, where I was. I was not impressed. Are they very similar??

Anyway... Back the to EL-00 Pro. If someone, or multiples of you can convince me that a bone nut and saddle might brighten this guitar up, I think it would be a nice one to have. The best guitar of this size I've played this year is still the Takamine G-93. Fine guitar.

Thanks!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
If someone, or multiples of you can convince me that a bone nut and saddle might brighten this guitar up, I think it would be a nice one to have.
A bone saddle absolutely MIGHT brighten it up, but so might some fresh 80/20s.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 AM

One of my jamming buds has an EL-00 hog-top string with D'A EJ16's, and it doesn't sound dull or one-dimensional in the least; bear in mind that these are mass-produced low-end instruments, and you'll need to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess, but keep looking - they're out there...
Old 06-17-2018, 08:45 AM

I truly don't understand why someone would spend money on either of these guitars and others in the same sound park when, for the same money or perhaps a little bit more, you can get a real decent sounding and playing guitar. The only reasons, I can think of is a person doesn't know any better or doesn't care.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I truly don't understand why someone would spend money on either of these guitars and others in the same sound park when, for the same money or perhaps a little bit more, you can get a real decent sounding and playing guitar. The only reasons, I can think of is a person doesn't know any better or doesn't care.
What a thoughtful and helpful post, truly representing the friendly spirit of this forum.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:34 PM

I would suggest looking at the Loar LH-200. Better sounding Gibson imitation. Lots of great reviews.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
What a thoughtful and helpful post, truly representing the friendly spirit of this forum.
Yes, I would like to see members spend their money and get the best bang for their buck. I see people recommending all sorts of models just because they have one and have done no real comparisons.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Yes, I would like to see members spend their money and get the best bang for their buck. I see people recommending all sorts of models just because they have one and have done no real comparisons.
I suppose, to defend myself;

First, the price point is the real motivation to even look at either of these, for purchase, as both are used, both priced used way below what they'd be new, or even should be, used. Both get similar reviews - some like them, some do not. I will say swapping the nut and saddle seems an unfortunate extra expense - why didn't they make these w/bone nut and saddle? And less gloss on the top...?

Second, many give both these guitars very good reviews, compared to others in their respective shapes/price points. Some don't. Honestly, I'd never consider a Fender, but I've only read positive - surprisingly positive reviews - from people who thought they'd be sub-par. This is the only reason I even consider trying one out.

Third, you haven't recommended anything. Have you played either guitar?

As for the Loar mentioned, someone discussed these w/me in a different thread about smaller guitars that can take a strum. Trouble is finding one - one here where I am. But I'd like to play one of these...

I had found a Takamine GY-93 new/cheap, on closeout, that I should have purchased. Wonderful guitar, at least to me. The LG2 (American Eagle) I played would have been ideal. But w/a wife/four kids/modest lifestyle... That isn't happening anytime soon, which is okay by me. Quite honestly, the three I have serve me well, at the moment. I've decided to invest in the FG-331, instead. None and nut saddle on a survivor that has no neck issues, miraculously.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Guest 728

Quote:

First, the price point is the real motivation to even look at either of these, for purchase, as both are used, both priced used way below what they'd be new, or even should be, used. Both get similar reviews - some like them, some do not. I will say swapping the nut and saddle seems an unfortunate extra expense - why didn't they make these w/bone nut and saddle? And less gloss on the top...?

Second, many give both these guitars very good reviews, compared to others in their respective shapes/price points. Some don't. Honestly, I'd never consider a Fender, but I've only read positive - surprisingly positive reviews - from people who thought they'd be sub-par. This is the only reason I even consider trying one out.

As for the Loar mentioned, someone discussed these w/me in a different thread about smaller guitars that can take a strum. Trouble is finding one - one here where I am. But I'd like to play one of these...

I had found a Takamine GY-93 new/cheap, on closeout, that I should have purchased. Wonderful guitar, at least to me. The LG2 (American Eagle) I played would have been ideal. But w/a wife/four kids/modest lifestyle... That isn't happening anytime soon, which is okay by me. Quite honestly, the three I have serve me well, at the moment. I've decided to invest in the FG-331, instead. None and nut saddle on a survivor that has no neck issues, miraculously.

You don't have to defend yourself; either guitar would be worthy of consideration. I like the Epiphone, myself, and have considered buying one to take with me on road trips, but investing in the FG331 sounds like a good solution for you.

My earlier response to Steadfastly's insulting and decidedly unhelpful post was intended as sarcasm. Ignore the snobs and carry on.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:

You don't have to defend yourself. I just gave my opinion and I am not just applying my post to this thread but many threads and suggestions given by people that only post what they have bought and often has nothing to do with what the OP has asked about. It is similar to reviews you read. You really have to read between the lines to see which one has any validity and which ones are from beginners and amateurs with little experience in any wide range of guitars.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
You don't have to defend yourself; either guitar would be worthy of consideration. I like the Epiphone, myself, and have considered buying one to take with me on road trips, but investing in the FG331 sounds like a good solution for you.

My earlier response to Steadfastly's insulting and decidedly unhelpful post was intended as sarcasm. Ignore the snobs and carry on.
No worries. I've been lucky to find a few surprises used/cheap over the years, that have turned into real gems - at least to my fingers and ears. Best one, of late, was the FG-331. My Ami was another. And the S&P, in my signature. Total cost, CDN$300, so I lean towards the frugal side! Others guitars I've purchased, played, enjoyed, but have moved on from, and sold. We'll see what happens, with the EL-OO!

Would love to find another one of those Takamine's, used...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 06-18-2018, 01:31 PM

I had an EL-00 as my first "real" acoustic guitar a couple years back (read: not 30€ used off the classifieds, cheapo nylon string guitar).

I really liked the neck, and I was able to get a really nice and comfortable setup, so no issues with the build quality. But it did indeed sound a little dull when strumming chords, especially when using my fingers.

It did improve quite a bit with a TUSQ saddle and bridge pins, and I used Martins cheap 80/20 strings back then (M140 IIRC) which made a difference as well compared to the PB D'Addarios I had before.

I sold it when I got my Gibson AJ, which is of course a very different league.
But I have to say, I almost regretted selling it when the buyer test-played the EL - it sounded really nice listening to it from the other side so to speak. Very warm sound, but not dull at all.

I haven't played other guitars in that size since then, but for the money it costs, it certainly is an ok guitar. Not really a strummer though, there are better guitars for that, but it'll do in a pinch.

If your playing is more strumming-oriented take a look at the Epiphone Inspired by 1964 Texan, or Texan for short. A little bigger, but I still find the slope-shouldered body very comfortable. And it isn't dull at all, while still being very warm. It'll do both strumming and fingerpicking perfectly fine, while being an affordable instrument. Looks great as well.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post
I had an EL-00 as my first "real" acoustic guitar a couple years back (read: not 30€ used off the classifieds, cheapo nylon string guitar).

I really liked the neck, and I was able to get a really nice and comfortable setup, so no issues with the build quality. But it did indeed sound a little dull when strumming chords, especially when using my fingers.

It did improve quite a bit with a TUSQ saddle and bridge pins, and I used Martins cheap 80/20 strings back then (M140 IIRC) which made a difference as well compared to the PB D'Addarios I had before.

I sold it when I got my Gibson AJ, which is of course a very different league.
But I have to say, I almost regretted selling it when the buyer test-played the EL - it sounded really nice listening to it from the other side so to speak. Very warm sound, but not dull at all.

I haven't played other guitars in that size since then, but for the money it costs, it certainly is an ok guitar. Not really a strummer though, there are better guitars for that, but it'll do in a pinch.

If your playing is more strumming-oriented take a look at the Epiphone Inspired by 1964 Texan, or Texan for short. A little bigger, but I still find the slope-shouldered body very comfortable. And it isn't dull at all, while still being very warm. It'll do both strumming and fingerpicking perfectly fine, while being an affordable instrument. Looks great as well.
I would only buy it used, cheap. Maybe. But I like this clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0fPWc82WeI

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion