The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 AM

One might get the feeling that Gibson bashing was anecdotally overstated.
There may be something to the claim that quality control in Bozeman is not the disaster that many have accused them of. About time!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Great guitar...I just got one myself.
It's a J45 fun-fest extravaganza around here lately.
Have been following your thread Jamie, glad yours worked out for you too.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
Have been following your thread Jamie, glad yours worked out for you too.

Thanks.
Likewise.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
One might get the feeling that Gibson bashing was anecdotally overstated.
There may be something to the claim that quality control in Bozeman is not the disaster that many have accused them of. About time!
I am not a fan of the Gibson sound, although I don't hate it either. I just like others much better. Since we all hear a bit different most of us have favourites and that is a good thing. But I have a hard time understanding how many bad guitars could come out their factory as some suggest. With the manufacturing methods used today and the tried and true design, it just doesn't seem possible to me.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I am not a fan of the Gibson sound, although I don't hate it either. I just like others much better. Since we all hear a bit different most of us have favourites and that is a good thing.
You know what is crazy? I think most Martins I've played actually sound better than my J-45. Side by side, I will prefer a Martin almost every time. However, there is a vibe and feeling I get when I play the J-45 that I don't get with any other guitar. I can play it for hours and it just sounds "right."

So yes, I think just tone considered, I should really have an HD-28 instead of my J-45...But nothing can really compare to the way my leg taps with the Gibson!
Old 06-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Intangibles man, intangibles. Rational vs emotion.

Why can you play 50 high dollar guitars, every one fine, then one day play something you can't put down for hours. The next guy plays it and goes meh.

Was playing a 65 D 18 in a shop. It was perfect. Guy comes up and says, kinda nasally don't you think?

And sometimes you just have to come back to something you've been missing.

Enjoy your J 45.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM

Slope-shoulder body, great looking sunburst- whats not to like ?
Congratulations on your nice new guitar
I agree, a bone-coloured nut would look much better !

If you can, join in on this thread, many more beautiful Gibsons to behold:

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
You know what is crazy? I think most Martins I've played actually sound better than my J-45. Side by side, I will prefer a Martin almost every time. However, there is a vibe and feeling I get when I play the J-45 that I don't get with any other guitar. I can play it for hours and it just sounds "right."

So yes, I think just tone considered, I should really have an HD-28 instead of my J-45...But nothing can really compare to the way my leg taps with the Gibson!
That's funny, I feel the same way and specifically about my D18, but the J45 rocks. The Martin sounds great but it does not rock.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Was playing a 65 D 18 in a shop. It was perfect. Guy comes up and says, kinda nasally don't you think ?
Funny you should say that, that's how I'm feeling about my D18, just sounds thin compared to the J45 and that's with mediums on it.

Had another noodle last night on the J45 and it sounds wonderful, liking the added comfort of the short scale too. Sounds ace with a capo and in open G for that Led Zep 'That's the Way' sound.

Very happy to say, I've found 'The One'.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I've been thinking about one myself. I haven't been playing all that long, but I picked up a J45 in the store sort of on a lark--I'd read so much negative about the Gibson build quality that I'd never really considered them--and was shocked at how it felt. I agree that a good D18 has a great ring to it, but that Gibson felt so great in my hands. I'm not a good player, but I felt like I could hit every note on that thing.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

My experience from owning several J-45/Songwriter Maybe over a dozen and having played several dozens:

Recent Gibson(2016 and later) QC is rather good. Comparable to Martin...almost. Comparable to that of Taylor/Collings? Nope!

What do I play? Gibson! why? Because it has mojo! And that tone has soul unlike the other “better” brands I mentioned. So very happy with my J45.

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 06-19-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
My experience from being owning several J-45/Songwriter Maybe over a dozen and having played several dozens:

Recent Gibson(2016 and later) QC is rather good. Comparable to Martin...almost. Comparable to that of Taylor/Collings? Nope!

What do I play? Gibson! why? Because it has mojo! And that tone has soul unlike the other “better” brands I mentioned. So very happy with my J45.
I agree, to me a J45 is to acoustic guitars what a Telecaster is to electrics in as much as they both seem to have a very distinctive voice that could only be produced by those guitars. A J45 seems to transcend the spruce/mahogany pairing and just sound like a J45 sounds. Huge character with that dry warmth permeating. I've played and owned a few Martins that don't exhibit a 'character' in the same way as the Gibson.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I don't think that is crazy. There is obviously something that the J-45 has that the Martin doesn't and it appeals to your senses.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
I agree, to me a J45 is to acoustic guitars what a Telecaster is to electrics in as much as they both seem to have a very distinctive voice that could only be produced by those guitars. A J45 seems to transcend the spruce/mahogany pairing and just sound like a J45 sounds. Huge character with that dry warmth permeating. I've played and owned a few Martins that don't exhibit a 'character' in the same way as the Gibson.
Martin doesn't have the character, Henry at the helm though.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Had a rehearsal with my playing partner for our Friday gig today so put the new J45 to work.
We ran through some stuff unplugged.
Before we got going I handed it to him to try. Now for everyone's info, Lee has two very, very nice Taylors and two also very,very nice Martins.
His reaction to the first strum was "Whoa!"
Same thing I said at the GC when I picked it up and strummed it.

During practice I had to adjust my strumming technique considerably as it tends to overpower my vocals and Lee's Taylor.
I didn't mention the build quality earlier. It is every bit as good as any guitar I have picked up.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion