The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Uno mas for the String Swing.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Because of a new purchase that violates my one-in, one-out policy I find my guitar case rack to be too small for my needs. I'm looking on line, but that's not where the best offerings are always found. I want a wooden guitar case rack for my studio. Please show your findings and where they came from. You can post up self-made items but I'm not going to build one as I don't have the time, tools or tenacity to build one. Also, there is no closet in the studio so a "just stick them in the basement or closet" doesn't apply. Likewise I'm not interested in metal, PVC or any other non-wood material as I like the feel of my studio and the natural wood that is there. I believe that the open-minded and worldly members here probably have a hidden jewel among their guitar case racks.
They are not that difficult to build. You might take your favourite design out of the bunch and have someone local build you one. They could leave it plain and you could stain and finish it or have them do it to your liking. It should take more than a couple hours to build.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I have 2 String Swings and if I needed another rack, I’d get a 3rd. Best deal out there. Available through Amazon with free shipping.
Yep...I’ve had mine for a few years now and love it. As you can see, has no problem holding dread cases of various sizes and shapes.

post image

Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 PM

Thanks all. The String Swing arrived today and after “some assembly” it is working well and looks great. Everyone’s input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

A couple of questions about the StringSwing rack:-

1) is it as flimsy and possibly prone to 'wobbling' as the pics make it appear to be?

2) does it hold the cases at an appropriate angle that will prevent the 'headstock' end of the cases from hitting the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-18-2018, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
A couple of questions about the StringSwing rack:-

1) is it as flimsy and possibly prone to 'wobbling' as the pics make it appear to be?

2) does it hold the cases at an appropriate angle that will prevent the 'headstock' end of the cases from hitting the wall?

Thanks in advance.
My 2 are not wobbly at all and keep them securely upright, away from the wall.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. Two more questions, if I may...

1) Is it the case that the headstock-areas of the cases don't hit the wall with the rack placed right by the wall, or do you have to position it a certain distance from the wall? (sorry to be pedantic on this one, but my guitar-room is fairly small and space is limited, plus I'd need to pay shipping to the UK from the US so I don't want to purchase one and find it doesn't work for me!).

2) Is there only one size - for five cases - or do they have a larger version (say for six or seven cases)?

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:

1) Is it the case that the headstock-areas of the cases don't hit the wall with the rack placed right by the wall, or do you have to position it a certain distance from the wall? (sorry to be pedantic on this one, but my guitar-room is fairly small and space is limited, plus I'd need to pay shipping to the UK from the US so I don't want to purchase one and find it doesn't work for me!).

2) Is there only one size - for five cases - or do they have a larger version (say for six or seven cases)?
Sounds like you need to think about a custom solution Jay, but it should really be quite simple.
How are your DIY skills ?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 AM

You have to adjust it away from the wall so the cases don’t hit.

As to longevity and lack of wobble over time, I can’t say as mine is brand new. However they give you Gorilla Glue to put on every contact surface to secure those areas that otherwise could get loose.

For me, time will tell. The great reviews in my thread is what caused me to give it a shot.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here’s a picture of one of my racks. If I keep the bottom feet of the rack 2-inches from the wall and it looks like this. As you can see, it’s the lower bout of the guitars that come closest to the wall. BTW, I think they only come in one size. I can fit 4 or 5 cases in each rack depending on the size of the cases. I wish they were 6-inches longer, but they work fine as they are.

EDIT — BTW, the cases are very stable positioned upright or angles to rest against the top rail as shown. They don’t need to lean back against the rail.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 06-18-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 AM

I have this which also humidifies automatically. PM if you want to know the manufacturer. They make them a standard size for like 3-6 guitars or custom like this for whatever you need.

cabnightview.jpg
Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Here’s a picture of one of my racks. If I keep the bottom feet of the rack 2-inches from the wall and it looks like this. As you can see, it’s the lower bout of the guitars that come closest to the wall. BTW, I think they only come in one size. I can fit 4 or 5 cases in each rack depending on the size of the cases. I wish they were 6-inches longer, but they work fine as they are.

EDIT — BTW, the cases are very stable positioned upright or angles to rest against the top rail as shown. They don’t need to lean back against the rail.

Thanks again, Paul - Music to my ears!

Long Jon - my DIY skills are **OK**, it's my patience that's lacking and my timetable that's full! A ready-made solution that only requires easy assembly is a much more attractive option right now!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion