The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I have been eyeballing the Alvarez MFA70 and the Yamaha LS16R for sometime now. Both are beautiful guitars (slightly partial to the extra abalone on the Alvarez) but I've struggled to find good audio examples of either (much less play them in stores) and have continued to stalk both as my next potential purchase.

Alvarez & Yamaha are, in my opinion, the gold standard of Chinese made guitars, so I don't think I'd lose either way. The one or two clips I've heard of the Alvarez, it seems slightly more resonant and rich in overtones and the LS16 is more "direct." However, I haven't played one myself. Any thoughts on the LS16s tones for fingerstyle?

I suppose the tones I chase are always harmonically rich ones, sorta inspired by James Taylor's later, Olson, playing years. Lush and resonant with sparkle and a reasonable bass.
I'm an LS16 owner and wouldn't have to prodded to hard to believe that the Alvarez is an equally, if not superior instrument. Unfortunately, I haven't played one to be able to compare.

I can say that I truly do believe that Yamaha has hit on something special with this ARE treatment they've given these tops. Never had a played a new guitar (in this price range) that didn't seem constrained in sound. You know, waiting to open up. When I bought mine, I tried both the rosewood and hog models and was astounded at the freedom of sound and the sustain...

Although, I'm more of strummer myself (and the LS holds up well to a good dig), these guitars (small body L's) truly shine for finger style. Just such a lush, full rich sounding tone.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I have been eyeballing the Alvarez MFA70 and the Yamaha LS16R for sometime now. Both are beautiful guitars (slightly partial to the extra abalone on the Alvarez) but I've struggled to find good audio examples of either (much less play them in stores) and have continued to stalk both as my next potential purchase.... The one or two clips I've heard of the Alvarez, it seems slightly more resonant and rich in overtones and the LS16 is more "direct." However, I haven't played one myself. Any thoughts on the LS16s tones for fingerstyle?

This video by Cim Frode with an LS16 is great.

He's a great young player. This sounds like a much more expensive guitar. As others have said the ARE treatment is very effective, and the feel, fit and finish is top notch.I have a LS16M ARE plus an older LJ16 and LL16-12 (not ARE). Fab guitars.

Last edited by KCharlesD; 03-04-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
This video by Cim Frode with an LS16 is great.

He's a great young player. This sounds like a much more expensive guitar. As others have said the ARE treatment is very effective, and the feel, fit and finish is top notch.I have a LS16M ARE plus an older LJ16 and LL16-12 (not ARE). Fab guitars.
I just found this video today prior to seeing this post and it was the best demo I've heard of these guitars. I was very impressed with its lush tone and balance especially in standard. It was much more telling than all the strumming examples I'd found previously.

The Alvarez sounds nice as well, but is short scale and the following player is in DADGAD, which makes everything sound nice. Neither are ever in a shop in my area, so I'll just have to dive in eventually and order one.

https://youtu.be/wdhD6WnXpyk
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM

There is a used LS16 Sunburst in my local GC - I believe it's a Mahogany b/s.
Great guitar (I'm a sucker for bursts), very balanced and clear. I can't believe someone hasn't grabbed it yet.
Hopefully it's in there for another month, and I can try to do some "horse trading ".
Old 03-06-2017, 06:28 AM

I recently acquired a used LL6Xa - the older, non-ARE version with the ART pickup system in.

It has a few quite minor issues which meant that I got it for what I consider to be a great price.

Acoustically, it is nice - mellow sounding with long sustain and nice balance. Enough overtones to make it sound quite lush at times, especially in lower tunings.

Plugged in.....well, I think it is wonderful! Performed with it last night for the first time. My heart usually sinks when I plug in somewhere and hear the tone that comes out. I always think 'Oh well, I'll just have to manage, I suppose.'

But this, well, I loved it from the first strum. Full and airy and with lots of colour and very dynamically responsive. I am very happy!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:00 AM

FYI....

Harry's Guitar Shop has a used LLX26 (made in Japan) on their site.....

http://harrysguitarshop.com/Yamaha-2008-LLX26-Used.html
Old 06-16-2017, 05:15 PM

My ls16m ARE arrived this week and it really is lot of guitar for the money. I heard from Sweetwater that it is being discontinued. Anyone hear the same?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:39 PM

..Yamaha seems to be discontinuing many models, including L series....sad....great guitars....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 PM

My LL16 A.R.E has recently been joined by an LJ6 A.R.E in Yamaha's nice brown sunburst. I don't know if my LJ is unique, because I didn't notice this on my old LL6 (pre A.R.E), but the rosewood veneer on the back is done in a chevron pattern of four pieces, rather than the usual arrangement of two book matched pieces.
Can anyone else confirm this on their 6? It's hard to explain, and even harder to photograph because the stain is so dark.
These are really excellent sounding and playing guitars, and the neck shape and size are perfect for me.
(Yamaha still do a printed acoustic catalogue. Well worth having for drooling over the Japanese stuff!). I hope there's no truth to the 'L' series being no more.

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-18-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Can someone here comment on the difference between the necks on the Yamaha L series and the Eastman 1.75" nut width necks?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE= I hope there's no truth to the 'L' series being no more.[/QUOTE]

...you and me both....but I've been seeing less and less L series Yamahas for sale on some of the major online retailers....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
Can someone here comment on the difference between the necks on the Yamaha L series and the Eastman 1.75" nut width necks?
I own the LL-16 and have heavily shopped eastmans. Measured carefully, the string spacing is identical and falls right btw typical string spacing on a 1-11/16 nut and 1-3/4 nut. that is to say it is slightly less than 1.5" c-t-c. I had the string spacing widened on mine to a true 1.5" and love it. There is more room on the Yamaha fretboard to accommodate that modification (aided by squared off edge of fretboard). It didn't look possible on the eastmans that I have seen (rounded edge).
Guild F-1512
Epiphone ES-339
Fender Stratocaster
Old 06-16-2017, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I own the LL-16 and have heavily shopped eastmans. Measured carefully, the string spacing is identical and falls right btw typical string spacing on a 1-11/16 nut and 1-3/4 nut. that is to say it is slightly less than 1.5" c-t-c. I had the string spacing widened on mine to a true 1.5" and love it. There is more room on the Yamaha fretboard to accommodate that modification (aided by squared off edge of fretboard). It didn't look possible on the eastmans that I have seen (rounded edge).
Cool....thanks. What about feel/playability?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Default LS16R ARE

I have a LS16R ARE and it is really a fine little guitar- very well designed and made, and great playability. Great feeling neck, perhaps a little narrow for some, but feels great in my smallish hands. Superb output, balanced tone, on the easy vs. the bright side overall. Low bass on E string rolls off, as expected for the size, but it is not thin or bright sounding.
I found Elixir PB Nano light strings have really great sound on it.
Hard to imagine a better sounding and playing guitar for the $.
I bought it as a practice/ knock around guitar, and it is great for that.
Compared to my 3x $ Taylor 416CE LTD cedar/walnut GS body, it lacks the deep bass, and for lack of a better term, the superb harmonic refinement of the Taylor. The delicate "inner harmonics" or shimmer has a clarity that gives the Taylor a richer and more refined sound.
As my wife summarized them, if you listen to the Yamaha by itself, it sounds terrific, but the Taylor just brings out more nuance.
I love the Yammie, and certainly highly recommend giving it a try in the $ range or above.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM

Question for those of you who replaced the tuners. Is there a brand that worked better than others? I am having my tech replace the saddle, nut and pins on my LS16M. While has has it, I was think of having him do the tuners also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion