The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Bob Dylan In Concert

Dylan's going to be in Houston next week - tickets are only General Admission - and they're $45.

I wonder what kind of crowd Bob draws these days? It'd be a trip to see him again.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 PM

dylan draws a pretty eclectic crowd -- you'll find everything from young children w/ their parents, teenagers, middle aged folks, and still yet, you'll find a bunch of folks who are well into their 60s.

i encourage you to go check him out again. his voice is totally shot, but musically, he and his band are still outstanding!
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 04-14-2003, 08:25 PM

I've seen Dylan twice in the last year and both concerts were outstanding. He definately puts different spins on his old songs. The crowd makeup is very diverse.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:43 PM

I heard once that the best part of a Dylan concert was making bets on which song he was singing at any given moment...

Lauren

"I love technology...but not as much as you you see..."

2011 Collings CJ sunburst
Old 04-14-2003, 09:03 PM
.tom the übergeek

Yeah....go.

He really looks like he is enjoying playing these days. Who is touring with him in his band this trip? Is Charlie Sexton still doing bandleader chores for him?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trpullen
Yeah....go.

He really looks like he is enjoying playing these days. Who is touring with him in his band this trip? Is Charlie Sexton still doing bandleader chores for him?
Charlie Sexton from Austin? He was just a kid when I was banging around in Austin. He's come a long way!

There's some band called the Waifs opening for him.

Hmmm....maybe I can talk another old guitar playing buddy of mine to go with me. My wife has no interest, whatsoever.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 04-14-2003, 10:43 PM
.tom the übergeek

Yeah...same guy. He was band leader and producer on the Double Trouble reunion CD too. Killer guitarist. He had a minor hit in the 80s with a song called Beat So Lonely. Then POOF off my radar screen. I found that he was instrumental on Love and Theft.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:29 AM

I think the Waifs are from Australia--I've been in touch with a luthier there named Dan Dubowski and if I'm not mistaken I think one or more of the band members play his guitars.

Lauren

"I love technology...but not as much as you you see..."

2011 Collings CJ sunburst
Old 04-15-2003, 08:07 AM

Don't miss that Dylan show. The quality of his performances went from poor to stellar right about the time he nearly died and then released "Time Out of Mind" several years back. Prior to then, his concerts were known for loose unintelligible rambling jam sessions. (Been there. Didn't like it.) I've seen him a few times since then and his arrangements have been tight, his band has been first rate, and the arrangements support what is left of his voice. Moreover, the songs he wrote since (for "Time Out of Mind" and "Love and Theft") are strangely suited for his voice. Kinda like a Tom Waits thing.

Also, I dunno about the Waifs, but Dylan is known for having first rate warm-up acts. When I saw him a few years ago, he had 2 warm up acts: Ani DiFranco and BR-549.....one a folkie singersongwriter, the other a traditional country hootenanny band. All Bob had to do was come on and sing "Girl From the North Country" and "Highway 61" and the night was whole. I think his live "Shooting Star" (from "Oh Mercy" record) is worth the price of admission....especially if the steel guitar player is on that night.

Also, in addition to Dylan, I think Charlie Sexton has been playing on Lucinda Williams' records lately too, right?
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification