The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Rackmount Powered Mixers?

Let me admit first off that I'm an IDOT when it comes to sound reinforcement. Now that we have established that . . .

I'm looking to add a powered mixer to my rack . . . something like the Samson S62/S63/S83 series. Anyone have experience with these, or have good alternatives?

I only need two channels (one guitar, one mic), and I want something that takes up 3 spaces in the rack (or less). It must have reverb--and I strongly prefer spring reverb over digital.

Ideas?

(Hmmm . . . I'm one post from being a Wise One, huh?)

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Be careful....

Be careful with powered mixers...

I used a Mackie unit in the acoustic duo I used to be in. The only problem with these units is your effects loops (if you use effects) can give you problems and you can't (we couldn't) run your final mix through any kind of processor or comp/limiter, etc.

Just a thought.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:52 AM

How about an ART or Presonus 2 channel pre-amp (1 space) a Peavy Valverb, a rack mounted spring reverb, if you can find one (1 space) and a Hafler power amp (1 space). That's 3 rack spaces and every piece will serve other uses as well.

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 04-14-2003, 04:04 PM

Jim,
I had a Samson rack power mixer for several years (bought in 1995) until I upgraded to a mackie board and never had a problem with the Samson. Good sound and extremely reliable. There were many times actually when I was loading amps and mixers that I relished for the days of the good ole Samson. I had the S6 model, at least that is what I believe it to be. I doubt that you will find a spring reverb on a powered mixer, but the digital reverbs are getting better and truth be told you may not even notice a difference in most venues. Most pubs etc are not known for great acoustics.
Although you stated that you only "need" 2 channels, I would really consider a 6 channel at a minimum to allow for additional mics and instruments for that occassion when you have a guest appear with you and also for those venues that do not have a sound system and you desire to play a CD before you perform, and during a break.
The Mackie power mixers are also quality, but a bit more expensive.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Steve
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification