The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-11-2003, 01:48 PM

Arrow take a listen...

Hey all,

I've got a website up with some mp3s and was hoping you could take a listen. I'd be very interested to know what you think... any comments/criticism is welcome. Getting the opinions of some seasoned musicians would be great (since it's mostly just been friends and family)...

http://www.jonfreeland.com/

These songs were recorded with my old Ovation but I have another EP coming out in a few weeks (this is all for a year-long project at school, as well as myself) and I'll be using my new Taylor for that (obviously).

Thanks for the help!
Jon
Old 04-11-2003, 01:57 PM

Hi Jon !

Nice work. I like your song-writing. Good strumming work.

I'd like to comment on the production.

I'm listening to "Fading". . .

It seems the vocal is geting lost. . its bit "back" in the mix for my taste. Your guitar is out in front over powering the vocal.

I think I'm hearing soe reveb there and generally I like to use it very sparingly. . . However I don't know how this was produced but maybe a verb , the same verb on both the guitar and vocal to "put them in the same room" so to speak. . .

Do you stil have access to get this remixed ?

I'm listening to "In The Morning" now. . .

I like the production on this one much better. . . . Maybe a little EQ on this one with a drastic low cut, the same could apply for "Fading" as well. ..

Production sounds much better on this one !!!

Sounds like your having fun ! You have a nice voice and a good straight up approach to your guitar. Keep it up ! Oh, and its entertaining, thanks !

Regards,
DeadHead

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 04-11-2003, 02:42 PM

I agree with DeadHead, the vocals are good but seem too far back in the mix. Guitar seems to have a touch too much bottom end, but that might be my PC speakers.

Really get your vocal up front, the voice is pleasing and you could hear the expressiveness better if it were up front.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:56 PM

Dito on your voice . Turn up the vocals!!! Bill
A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a tradesman. But, man who works with his hands his head and his heart is a professional..... Taylor is a great name for baby boys & girls!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 11:45 PM

hey guys... thanks for the tips! i do have the original recordings so perhaps i'll remix it a bit after i'm done with this 2nd ep. i really appreciate you taking a listen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification