The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-10-2003, 05:44 PM

Question delay pedals etc.

I'm looking for a good delay pedal. I've got my eye on the Boss DD-5, but noticed it's getting replaced by the DD-6. I was wondering, if when using the DD-5, can you change the delay tempo with the tap while the delay is active? I noticed the DD-6 doesn't have tap input (I don't like the new "integrated" way of doing it) and being able to change the tempo while the delay is on (or off) would be extrememly useful.

Also, if there are better delay pedals out there, please do let me know. I'm also considering a loop station... might there be a "do-it-all" product? I think I've heard Line 6 might have something like this?

Thanks for the help!
.:Jon
Old 04-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

I've been searching for looping stations myself, but the only ones in my price range have a reputation for being quite noisy (low sampling rates?)

Anyone found a quiet looping station?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:40 PM

Check out the DL4 Delay Modeler

Little bit pricier, but lots of optiosn, accepts an expression pedal, has some presets, balanced outputs, and can take a wall-wart for power.

Also does looping.......
Old 04-10-2003, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Check out the DL4 Delay Modeler
Get This!!!! I have one and it is indespensible. It does loop, has many cool delays to choose from, tap, volume swells, and so much more. It'll be the last delay you'll ever need. I'm thinking about buying a 2nd one so I can have dedicated ones for acoustic and electric. There's so many people that use this pedal and that's for a good reason. It rocks. Don't know what I'd do without it.

my 2 cents.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie
Old 04-10-2003, 09:08 PM

Hey thanks for the tips... question for sonicparke: with the DL-4 can I set up a loop and then play a solo over it with delay? Also, can I have an expression pedal control the volume of the delay effect during the solo? And... has it ever been a problem to only have 14 seconds of memory?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 09:21 PM

There is a delay in the loop but you don't have as much control over it as you would just as a delay setting. But yes you can play over the loop and still retain the delay on both guitars. I haven't messed with it in a while but I'm pretty sure you can sete the loop with the delay one way then change it for the just pass but don't quote me on that one.

I dont' have the expression pedal (I should probably get one) but I'm sure Line6's website can tell you that. If I remember right they have the manuals for their stuff online as pdf's.

I've never needed anymore memory than it has. I've never hit the end of it either. But I usually only loop 1 maybe 2 measures of a riff. I gave get 3 or 4 different looped passes over that with no problem. To do entire songs and such you my want to look at the Boss loop station? or the boomerang or something.

I hope this helps. As far as delay pedals go this one rocks. But if you want to do some heavy looping you might want to look at a dedicated looper as well as this. But if you don't need more than a few measures of loops at a time then this is great. One negative thing about the loop feature...IF YOU UNPLUG THE PEDAL YOU LOOSE YOUR LOOP!!!! They could have thought it through better on this. Oh well.

This is the bottom line:

It's a killer delay pedal that has a loop feature as an extra bonus.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie
Old 04-11-2003, 06:57 AM

Default Re: delay pedals etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaQuam
I was wondering, if when using the DD-5, can you change the delay tempo with the tap while the delay is active?
I love my DD-5. I have it in the loop from my Pod Pro, so I can use it for both my elec and acoustic (I have both of them going in separate on the Pod).

The tap tempo is the coolest thing going, and yes, you can change the tempo at any time. I use an old Yamaha Sustain pedal as the trigger input, but Boss sells one too. All it is is a momentary break trigger. I paid $14 for the yamaha.

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification