The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Mick:

Have you played one of these Epi 1963 J-45 clones? Or anyone, for that matter? I bought one a couple weeks ago (cuz it was mentioned on these boards recently) and got it delivered, but haven't had a chance to even tune or play it.

What are your impressions? I bought it mainly because I have a Masterbilt slope-shouldered dread that I love, but this one looks very cheaply made and clearly not in the same league. I'll keep it though, since I'm not a trader or a flipper, and tend to keep guitars for life.
I have one, bought it used/cheap GC online to have a guitar at my lake house on the weekends. Its a laminated guitar back and sides. Mine sounds pretty good for a laminated guitar for the most part. Not like a Yamaha but still pretty good for no more than 150-160 whatever it was I paid.

It looks a lot better than it sounds. In the looks department is quite nice, fit and finish is very good for a cheap guitar.

The one i bought had a very nice set up done on it. Everybody that picks it up comments on how easy to play. I have to admit, I like to play it also.

It sounds pretty good for a Laminated guitar, a Solid top AJ-200 is a better choice.

I've only played one Gibson J45 and it was in its own league in my opinion. I have a thing for slope shoulder guitars. They are all nice and I'd like to have one of every one made if I had my way. You have to take each maker/brand for for what they are and you get what you pay for.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I asked this same question upon joining AGF 2 1/2 years ago and now own a J45. If buying today I'd go straight to the J45 Vintage.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Alibaba?
Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Don't know how close it would be to sounding like a Gibson J45 and really don't care, but the best sounding one to my ears that I've played is the (relatively) new Prewar Co J model. Superb sounding in every way. Light as a feather too. And sooooooo cool looking. I want one. Now. This minute. This second. Immediately. Seriously. I'm not kiddin'. It ain't funny. I want it.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:42 PM

My J45 tv is my favorite guitar I own. I have lately been pondering getting an Eastman E10ss with the vintagey finish as an alternative to travel with. I keep seeing some new slope shoulder models from Elderly Instruments. They are an addition to their Farida built OT series guitars that are very reminiscent of an old Gibson LG. These new ones are described as they might be very much like a J45. The top model is all solid. The others have laminated back and sides, one of those models being maple back and sides. No idea when these might show up in their inventory. Their original Old Town models have received quite positive reviews, particularly their baseline OT 22. I think the new model Re OT 62, 63, and 64 models.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Another here for Dale Fairbanks
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
My J45 tv is my favorite guitar I own.
Ditto for me. I think the new Vintage model is the same? I was close to buying a great sounding J45 custom until I picked up a J45TV. Just an incredible guitar and I really didn't want all the electronic stuff anyways. Hats off to the good folks that crafted it. Gibson Montana's consistency is excellent by my experience.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Although on the surface this seems like an admirable question, it's a little like asking who makes the best square-shouldered dreads? Uh, Martin.
I dunno about that, Scott... for square shoulder?
I say Merrill C18 for mahogany and Lucas LD28 for rosewood and Collings for both. But I have never played an Altman, Edmonds, Pre*War, or Caleb Smith.

Slope shoulder mahogany?
I have owned Eastman E10SS, SCGC VJ, and Gibson J15, J45, and J45TV and have played slopes by Collings, Walker, B&H, and Kopp. If I could have any of those, it'd be a Kopp K35 no question. My second choice would be a Gibson J45Vintage...so nice! I have heard great things about Fairbanks and Pre*War and would love to play both.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 AM

I own a '49 J-50 (the natural-topped version of the J-45), and for a while, I also owned a '14 Huss & Dalton DS Crossroads, which is built to essentially the same specs. I was thus in a position to A/B them for an extended period of time.

The H&D did a pretty good job of capturing the essence of the vintage J-50's tone. With some age, the distinction between the two guitars might disappear altogether.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 06-19-2018, 04:29 PM

I tried several Gibson j45's, some were really nice guitars but then I found a mahogany Collings CJ35A (the A being Adirondack top). This is my primary guitar now! Voiced very nicely for strumming or flat picking. Very friendly accompaniment for vocals. Nicest guitar I've ever owned.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:27 PM

I had been to a interesting guitar factory in China, the factory is the most advanced guitar making factory. Namely Shadow Polaris. It makes guitar for Epiphone, which is closely related to Gibson. They make Gibson-like Jumbos, as they work for Epiphone they would have resources to do that. However, their guitar are prototype, it had just shown once in the guitar show in Germany(I forgot the name of the show).

I am the friend of the factory manager, so I able to have one. The J-45 produce there are superb, firstly it got the German Spruce for the top, which is my favorite. Moreover, their neck are come from the same wood. The quality is overwhelming. Yet, they are selling these full solids for 400 USD. The J-45 there sounds booming, and super crispy high.
oh I forgot to mention that the factory is run by the president of Shadow Electron Joe Marinic
Old 06-20-2018, 03:21 AM

Not exactly a J45 but have a Froggy SJ (Southern Jumbo). Spruce top with mahogany back and sides. I have had some great a guitars but this is my number one.
Has a beautiful burst finish and the back is Fidel back mahogany which makes it extra special.
Still on the hunt for a vintage J45!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:30 PM

I'm about a week or so away from taking delivery of a Halcyon built to late-50's - early 60's specs. I've been working with Ed Bond for about 2 years to get this guitar. I've played a good many J-45s and no two of them sounded the same. I'll let you know when I get it...

PS: A friend is loaning his Collings CJ35 to me tomorrow. I will have it for about a month or so. We'll see how it stacks up.
1969 Yamaha FG-150
1987 MIJ E Series Telecaster
1972 Gibson SG-100 (eat your heart out!)
Halcyon #261 SD45 (highly customized)
a "beater" Johnson resonator significantly altered cone
Kanilea ST-1 Premium (tenor uke)
Kala Concert and Soprano ukes
Old 10-17-2020, 11:37 PM

Eastman for factory-built guitars, with a four way tie shared by Kim Walker, Dale Fairbanks, John Walker and - my personal favorite - Kevin Kopp, among the custom builders.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-17-2020, 11:49 PM

For what it's worth, there are some incredible Epiphone J45's out there, and I'm serious. 1 11/16 nut, same solid woods and similar look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion