The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
My GC used to price match. I always would surf shop for what I wanted before going in and then show them the online price and they would match the price. Did they stop this policy?
Nope,
They still price match.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 PM

I had a similar experience. Bought an HD28V from a forum sponsor but it didn’t sound as good as the one I had played at GC. Brought the one I had bought from a sponsor to GC compared them side by side and shore enough the one at GC sounded more “alive” for lack of a better descriptor. It was also quite light. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

Anyway GC matched the price. I’m surprised your GC wouldn’t do the same. Maybe each store is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Wow, you guys are all great. Lots of experience, opinions and good points.
I can't address every thing I read on here, but since many were kind enough to weigh in, I will tackle some.
First of all, I know that there will always be another J45 or any guitar out there that will take me to nirvana. Paying a premium for one that I know already does is absolutely personal but it can be and usually is, highly emotional. In the case of emotions, logical thinking usually vanishes and decisions are made. Guitars are about emotion so paying more for one that takes you to the heights isn't bad in itself.

As far as the "going rate",for a guitar, it's a moving target.

Yesterday, I was offered a pretty good deal on a new J45 from an AGF member/vendor with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and no return freight.
It wasn't $1900, but I'm not 100% sure that number is out there. This vendor will give me the "pick of the litter" of the best of three guitars he has in stock. He will unpack each and play each and decide. He said he owns a J45 and he knows what a good one sounds like. Once again, 30 days to decide and send it back for full credit, they pay the freight if I'm unhappy.

I don't know where GC got their $2580 selling price except to say it's about ten off of MAP or close. I do think that their unwillingness to discount to a "reasonably acceptable market price" is a little odd.

As far as variances in the guitars themselves, it's pretty much universally agreed that J45's out of Bozeman are somewhat inconsistent in tone. This vendor affirmed that was their experience as well. Nobody really knows why. The less than acceptable ones he said are sent back to Gibson.
In summary, we all have feelings about how to deal with buying a new guitar and I can appreciate the folks who say to spend the extra, get the one you love. I can also appreciate the folks who say, hey there are a lot of J45's out there and one of them has your name on it at a better price.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frusciante View Post
I had a similar experience. Bought an HD28V from a forum sponsor but it didn’t sound as good as the one I had played at GC. Brought the one I had bought from a sponsor to GC compared them side by side and shore enough the one at GC sounded more “alive” for lack of a better descriptor. It was also quite light. Don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

Anyway GC matched the price. I’m surprised your GC wouldn’t do the same. Maybe each store is different.

See my newest post, they did match it, finally.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 AM

My experience is guitars in general vary a lot in tone and playability, even among the same model, including high-end makes. Maybe it’s the strings, setup, lack of playing-in, but they’re all subjectively different to me. I had a J-45 TV I really liked for a couple of years but most standard J-45s I’ve tried at my local GC were just okay.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
When you find a real gem, like you did, I wouldn't let a few dollars get in the way. I don't know how far off GC is from the price you want to pay, but think five or ten years down the road... do those few dollars really matter versus getting the one that stands out from the rest?
I agree. I would want THAT guitar; if it's special, don't hesitate.

Electrics are a little more consistent... in my experiences, playing one locally (say a strat), then buying one online... not a huge difference. Especially after a setup. But acoustics? Especially GIBSONs these days? I would have bought THAT guitar.

Honestly, if I found an acoustic that I thought was a lifetime keeper (I know we don't always know that, sometimes for years), I would buy it, even if I had to put some of it on a credit card. Because over a lifetime, it doesn't matter. And if I just had the cash, I would have accepted GC's price. I don't haggle too much over price if I think a guitar is really special.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-19-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
See my newest post, they did match it, finally.
Fantastic! Best of both worlds!
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-19-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I agree. I would want THAT guitar; if it's special, don't hesitate.

Electrics are a little more consistent... in my experiences, playing one locally (say a strat), then buying one online... not a huge difference. Especially after a setup. But acoustics? Especially GIBSONs these days? I would have bought THAT guitar.

Honestly, if I found an acoustic that I thought was a lifetime keeper (I know we don't always know that, sometimes for years), I would buy it, even if I had to put some of it on a credit card. Because over a lifetime, it doesn't matter. And if I just had the cash, I would have accepted GC's price. I don't haggle too much over price if I think a guitar is really special.
Basically, I did what you said but I still haggled them down a bit using their own policy.
They said they would price match which they did. I'm just not leaving money on the table. I was in sales for over forty years.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the update! Great news you got the one you wanted at the lowest price.

Pics?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Default dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Jamie did the right thing walking away and I would have done the same. That price is outrageous. You can buy them all day long for +/- $1900 shipped. On principle alone, one shouldn't have to pay a 25% premium for "best tone."

/thread
Could you pass me the dealer that will provide this price?
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion