The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
That's a guitar, not a bullroarer!
No, that’s just gross.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

My best advice would be - take your time, proceed with care but, when the absolutely inevitable scratch or ding happens, accept that it's a sign of a guitar that is fulfilling its one and only purpose - to be played - and let it go.

I used to be one who 'babied' his instruments - for ever cleaning and polishing, trying to 'polish out' every tiny mark, stressing about keeping them 'pristine', yadda yadda. But, over time, I found out the truth that any and every guitar that is regularly taken out of its case and played will collect marks, knocks, dings, scratches through its life - I even put a ding in one Martin whilst taking it out of its case by whacking it against one of the latch-teeth! At the time, it hurt me more than it hurt the guitar, but I got over it and, in time, didn't even notice it any more.

By all means take reasonable, sensible care of your guitar(s) but don't obsess about keeping it 'pristine' and, when the inevitable happens, don't dwell on it - it's a guitar, not your wife!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion