The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Crack in back and side set from online vendor

Greetings.

Not sure where this should go. I hope to start a construction log here and I guess this is my first problem.

I ordered a Chechen back and side set from an online vendor. The back has a split that comes in from the edge in the middle of the board about 7-8 inches long. It's right in the middle of one of the back halves, no way to avoid it by cutting around it.

This is my first acoustic build so I'm not sure what to do.

I have woodworking experience and if this was a box or piece of furniture or even an electric guitar, I would just glue it back together and not worry about it. The split could be made invisible i am sure of that. But I'm not sure if this is going to affect the tone when I thin it out to its target thickness. Or if it will affect the finish.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm just a little bummed that I paid good money for this and it is cracked. I'm trying to fgigure out if I should get a refund or exchange or if I am overreacting to a small thing that won't affect the quality of the finished product.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 AM

Return it for another set.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:52 AM

I'd find out first if you can return the second set if its defective as well, and decide whether you want to return for refund. Take pictures of the defects before you do anything.

It would be good to upload pix as there are builders here who might be able and willing to advise you in addition.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 AM

I would return it too. But when you think about it, you are going to join the who back halves anyway and like you said you can glue that back together and no one would ever know.

I'd still return it or ask for store credit or something, it should be discounted at least.

I've got sets of Mad and Amazon Rosewood, stuff that is getting harder and harder to get, with cracks in it. Those sets were glued back together and no one will ever know the difference. But I also purchased those at discount knowing they had cracks, and also they are not right down the center of the panel but still a bit within the outline...
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM

I'm curious, when you say 'online vendor' - was this an actual shop dealing in guitar tonewoods, or did you get the set off Ebay? I ask because there are re-sellers on Ebay that are known to be 'less than honest' in their descriptions and dealings. IF you are shopping on there - or anywhere - be diligent in examining any and all provided pictures and information.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies.

My main concern is whether it is going to affect the build tonally or aesthetically. I just don't have the experience with finishes to know whether the glue will affect whatever finish I put over it over time.

I'm guessing tonally it won't really matter, though. Guitars crack all the time and are glued back together and still sound great, right?

I don't know. The safe thing to do is return it. That just bums me out as i was excited to get started. Also, my shop is not environmentally controlled very well so I don't have a ton of time to work on sensitive stuff like guitars. even less now. Boooo.

The set was purchased form a well known tonewood dealer, I believe they even advertise on this site. If not this one than definately some other acoustic guitar forums.

I was pretty surprised by the condition of the wood I received actually. I also ordered a 5 piece neck set and that wood is warped and cupped more expected. It was should be big enough for two necks, that was why I bought it. If after joining and planing it ends up just being enough for one neck that would suck too but time will tell.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digipenguin View Post
I was pretty surprised by the condition of the wood I received actually. I also ordered a 5 piece neck set and that wood is warped and cupped more expected. It was should be big enough for two necks, that was why I bought it. If after joining and planing it ends up just being enough for one neck that would suck too but time will tell.
That's too much, reads like you should return it for refund and get it elsewhere, you probably need to take pictures if you go that route, in case the seller receives their stuff back and doesn't refund. If you bought with a credit card they'll not hold you responsible.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM

I decided to contact the vendor and see what we could do. The website said they would cover the return shipping if it was a problem with the product. That got me wondering about how much it was going to cost them. (This wasn't an expensive set)

To my surprise, when I looked up their location it was right down the road from me (figuratively).

They are 20 miles from my house and about 12 miles from where I work.

They told me to just stop by and exchange for a new piece. Awesome!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digipenguin View Post
I decided to contact the vendor and see what we could do. The website said they would cover the return shipping if it was a problem with the product. That got me wondering about how much it was going to cost them. (This wasn't an expensive set)

To my surprise, when I looked up their location it was right down the road from me (figuratively).

They are 20 miles from my house and about 12 miles from where I work.

They told me to just stop by and exchange for a new piece. Awesome!
I would love to have a resource that close to me. Good luck on your guitar project.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I would love to have a resource that close to me. Good luck on your guitar project.
Thanks!

I'm pretty stoked. I am getting the last bits of wood today and my template and mold should arrive Fedex tomorrow.

With any luck I'll be making sawdust tomorrow afternoon.

Can't wait to screw up my first guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair