The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 AM

I use gig bags to take guitars to play with friends all the time. I use what's I consider to be good ones as I have A reunion blues Continental for the om and 00, what I believe to be an Very solid Acces for the big guitars, and a Mono for the PJ. The reunion blues and the Mono were relatively expensive, but to me they have been worth the cost. Had them for a number of years and they have held up really well (though they have only travelled by car).

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I don't play out a lot but when I do, I feel very comfortable putting any of my Taylor Grand Auditoriums into a Taylor Hard Bag. Let's face it; there are gig bags and then there are gig bags....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
Some misread your inquiry, which was not should you use a gig bag, but is there one available...here is one https://www.blueheroncases.com/soft-...ic-guitar-case

life is brief do what you will
Nope, didn't misread anything, just think he shouldn't put THAT particular guitar in a gig bag.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-20-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Quote edited; Rule #1
Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'd be freaking out with just a cloth bag for an expensive guitar.
Barry...

It's not like you are really ever going to put a guitar in danger by taking it out and about in a well made well padded gig bag. You are always going to be reasonably careful...just as you would even it the guitar was in a hard case.

The chances of something terrible happening are pretty slim, and really, most damage occurs when guitars are out of their case, or going in or out of their case. The catastrophic event where your guitar is mangled is super super rare, and even in a top level hard case...when that level of "event" happens, the guitar and the case are both often damaged severely.

Your guitar walking down the street, down the trail, down the shoreline, down the surf line, down the snow line, in a gig bag, is in no greater danger than you are, physically, walking down that street, that trail, that shoreline, that surf line, that snow line.

Take it from someone who has been walking down that street, trail, shoreline, surf line, snow line for 7 years plus...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Fraidy Kat
Old 05-20-2018, 12:56 PM

I have one of these, but I've only used it to bring my guitar through the dining room onto my deck. I'm not sure I'd bring it any further. (It's an excellent bag though!)

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...ge-three-bags/
Old 05-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Just to close this out, as noted I ageee that gig bags can work just fine even for high end guitars, as long as proper care and attention is paid. Thanks for the couple of suggestions for specific examples , they were good ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion