The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I just received an Ovation 2778LX Elite Contour which I'd purchased to take camping and use in less than ideal situations. I really like the tone and feel of it and couldn't be more pleased with the great Secret Sale price that I got from MF. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of tone, but to me it more closely resembles a small-bodied guitar like the Taylor GCs I've played than a plastic instrument. The contour fits very nicely in my lap, and it's got decent sustain. It would benefit from a decent set-up.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Default Adams

OK I did it too, Picked up an Adams Ovation today. Went looking for a composite. Played this and loved it. Great price, playability and sound. I own several Taylors but can like this one too. Will like being able to play a good guitar and not worry about it so much.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I had a yard sale yesterday and took out the Ovation to play while waiting for customers. While sitting in a lawn chair, I bumped the back a few times on the arms of the chair. No biggee with the nylachord back. I know that some will accuse me of having a tin ear, but I like the tone. It's different from my wooden guitars, but its tone doesn't offend me nor does its shape slide out of my lap the way a previous Ovation did.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 AM

My first guitar was Ovation. It sounded great when plugged in, but didn't like the unplugged sound. I also didn't like the round back.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I bought one about ten years ago and got rid of it for those reasons. However, this 2778LX Elite Contour is a whole other instrument......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTF View Post
I wouldn't trade any of my current acoustics -- including my Washburn -- for an Ovation. They are ugly as sin, fall off my lap and sound like tin cans with strings to me. I do understand they can serve in a pinch as canoe paddles, however.

No doubt, some folks will swear by them but to me, an acoustic guitar is made of WOOD.

Really? Ovation tops (excepting the Adamas) are made of wood, mostly Sitka Spruce. As far as falling of someone's lap, there's always our lovely straps to save the day. I'm not necessarily thin, just average; but a slipping Ovation is not a problem so far.

As far as the sound, I recommend you to listen some fingerpicking works some people have made on Youtube. Specially, check Staffan Svahn, a Swedish fingerpicker. Then, voice your opinion on him and his Legend.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
People will bad mouth Ovation, period.
Maybe it's because of the "Roundback" design, or its materials used to make the guitar(Lyrachord?), questionable brand parts on the guitar(Hint: Ping tuners!), or its overall "disposable" appearance: major guitar repair? you're better off buying another guitar instead...
But I happen to like the sound. When some would state that a certain guitar is a "canon", I would always think of Ovation. Ovations are consistently the loudest guitar I've ever played "unplugged". Besides, IMHO, they're the original travel guitar. I literally took my Applause 12-string EVERYWHERE I was needed for church youth services...
Yep, I especially agree on them being the original travel guitar. I have a couple in my herd, an all acoustic Celebrity and an acoustic/electric 12-string. I bought my Celebrity as a "throw-away" that I could travel with and not have a lot of angst about it getting lost or damaged. I STILL played all 7 they had in stock at Mars Music before settling on the one I have now. It's turned out to be a surprisingly good guitar. I've gigged with it a couple of times and am a little more protective of it than I was at first.

My wife convinced me to get the 12-string. Another trip to Mars, this time when they were going out of business, and the guitar was marked less than 1/2 price. Still not cheap. I played it, really liked the way it sounded, SHE stood about 10 feet off and thought it sounded good, and I told her I wanted to think about it. I'd come back tomorrow and if it was still there I'd get it. It was. I spread the cost out over 3 credit cards. I've only played it plugged in one time, but it was good to have that option under the circumstances at the time. It's my only acoustic/electric.

My opinion is that Ovations are good guitars. I think most of the people who are opposed to them are opposed to the aesthetics of acoustic guitars that have so many inorganic components in their construction. So be it. Granted, they don't sound "woody," but I wouldn't expect them to any more than I'd expect my Dobro to sound woody. I have enough solid wood guitars to satisfy that need.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 AM

Wow! This thread began back on 10-26-2003, 01:37 AM, and is still ambling along! It has to be one of our longest lived threads. Five years and counting. That's 4+ marriages in Hollywood years!

cotten
Old 11-12-2008, 09:18 AM

...i have a confession to make....

i played a 2171 that i thought was extraordinarily fine..especially considering its price tag...

(i could be "tempted"......)
Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 AM

I played Ovations...particularly the Elites in the 70s and 80s. I had an Adamas that I really liked in the 90s. I went to Taylor and Santa Cruz in the mid 90s. I obviously liked them. In my opionion, they are very good guitars if you wish to use them in live situations..ie: amplified. The higher end with deeper bowls tend to sound better and more even. I contemplated getting a ME 12 string until I played a Taylor T5 12 string.

Taylor 2009 DDSM Custom Build; LR Baggs Hex (Comes with the DDSM)

R. Taylor Style 1, Short Scale Neck, Adi Top, Madagascar Sides/Back, LR Baggs Anthem: 2010

Taylor BTO; 814C Florentine. Adi top and bracing. AA grade EIR, Gotoh tuners. Honeyburst top. No electronics (installed LR Baggs Anthem) Tropical Vine Inlay
Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Default nice neck

I've got a 1990 custom legend, deep bowl. Has been around the world a few times. Very durable. For playability, I've never found another acoustic as good. Narrow neck. Sound is good.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluulu View Post
I've got a 1990 custom legend, deep bowl. Has been around the world a few times. Very durable. For playability, I've never found another acoustic as good. Narrow neck. Sound is good.
Thread started in 2003 and last posted in 2008....

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-28-2017 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Edited

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification