The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-12-2003, 07:07 AM
minister of twang

Default Mike Golay: Half Pint - Solo Acoustic Guitar Released

well, i feel awfully funny and a lot crass doing this, but... i will.

Half Pint Released!
by Banshee Records
April 1, 2003

Banshee Records is proud to release acoustic guitarist Mike Golay's debut solo recording "Half Pint." The record includes 12 tracks and features nine original compositions by the Washington, DC-based Golay, who produced and engineered his first effort for this tiny, unknown label that he also happened to found for the express purpose of putting the thing out. Let none of this stop you. Pick up Half Pint today!

i did the thing myself. it was fun. i'm getting a little local buzz and i'm trying to get out and play. gigs are starting to line up. life is good.

some notes:
* i used a pretty simple and inexpensive recording chain (lower-end akg mics, mackie 1202 into a USB interface). i've gotten good comments on the quality of the recording nonetheless. i had NO IDEA what i was doing. but that didn't hold me up. much.
* technical notes and tedium run amok here:
http://www.bansheewerks.com/frivolit...he_movie.shtml
* i used a very blue taylor 612ce custom on 10 tunes, a modified regal squareneck resophonic hot-rodded by paul beard's shop (beardguitars.com) on one tune, and a cheap, stock ovation celebrity deluxe in a high-strung tuning with pearse's set on another.
* the record was mixed and mastered by scott spelbring at dragonflyeast in haymarket, va (dragonflyeast.com). scott has worked with a number of major label rock and/or roll acts. i was his first solo acoustic project. he was great to work with and did a fantastic job.
* i went through oasis (oasiscd.com) for replication and they did a stellar job.
* the record is available through numerous online retailers and should be in selected stores and... anywhere else i can get it, as a matter of fact.
* everything you need to know is at:
http://www.bansheewerks.com

if anyone has any questions or would like to review, please feel free to contact me.

btw - big ups to jim tozier for fast friendship, feedback, and inspiring music. the boy can play.

btw2 - i recently picked up a used 88 512 in very good condition and loooooove it. putting a mcintyre in it soon, and will probably bone nut/saddle it. wonderful guitar.

thanks for your time.

best,
mike golay
http://www.bansheewerks.com
Old 04-12-2003, 08:34 AM

Folks, I wholeheartedly encourage you to check out Mike's music. He's an amazing player . . . he does some percussive slap/tap type stuff that just makes me grin with envy. He's also capable of moving you with sweet, beautiful melodies. There are a bunch of sound samples on the site . . . so you don't have to take my word for it--go give it a listen!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification