The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Default David Russell's double top Matthias Dammann guitar!!

I've recently discovered David Russell. What an incredible player!! Watching/hearing him play is inspiring!

He plays a double top guitar built by Matthias Dammann. I'd not heard of a double top before I researched David Russell. I'm sure a lot of tone is in Russell's hands, but if I had the $ for a luxury car, I'm pretty sure I'd spend it on one of Dammann's guitars (if one could be found as they are in short supply and high demand).

Old 06-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Double top classical guitars have been around for a while. For example read:
https://www.classicguitar.com/the-or...le-top-guitar/

I have a double top flattop (cedar over spruce). The double tops I have played have a wide dynamic range
and a very even tone across strings and up and down the neck. They produce a bit less of an "organic" sound
with a bit less tonal variation range. Thus there are pros and cons and there is quite a bit of controversy about
them in the classical guitar community.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting that video. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Dave
Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM

You will not believe how thick the sides are on a dammann. Check this:

http://lfdmguitars.ca/tag/dammann

I've seen DR play several times. Not only is he a world-class player but he's a pretty funny guy as well. He's very "gentle" in a Masterclass environment.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:26 AM

In the classical guitar world the controversy between people who love the sound of a double top guitar and those who love the legacy construction techniques is as spirited as the discussion on this forum about Taylor X vs V bracing.

Cincy
Old 06-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
In the classical guitar world the controversy between people who love the sound of a double top guitar and those who love the legacy construction techniques is as spirited as the discussion on this forum about Taylor X vs V bracing.

Cincy
There would be fisticuffs over a guitar with a double top AND V-bracing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 AM

A few months back I had a nice double top in my shop for a set up. My wife walked in while I was playing it and asked me if it was plugged in

Seriously the thing was almost twice as loud as a standard guitar. When I first picked it up I didn't like it at all but it quickly grew on me. They are different animals for sure. I built one a few years ago but never liked how it came out but it was my first and it has actually aged a bit for the better but still. When you get your hands on a master built double top it's quite an experience.

Is it better? No. Is it different? very much so yes.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Hi 815C

Tim McKnight, Charles Fox, and Paul Woolson (two have been forum members) have built numerous double top guitars.

I played several of each, and both Woolson and McKnight versions had more projection, instant power, responded well to light touch, and took finger tremolo and vibrato more readily than standard solid top versions.

Tim McKnight's "Diamond" was the most explosive of the bunch and I'd describe it as everything on steroids guitar. It was an amazing fingerstyle instrument.

Double tops originated (at least 20th and 21st century) with the classical builders and then migrated to the acoustic steel string world.

Both Tim and Paul experimented (even collaborated) on same wood, mixed wood, adhesives etc. If you were to ask either builder they would share that there are advantages and drawbacks to the design.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com

David Russell is not only a terrific guitarist, but a wonderfully talented teacher. I had the good fortune to attend some master's classes that he gave at the University of Arizona-- and is mastery of interpretation is as impressive as his technique.

He had his Matthias Dammann with him. It is powerful instrument, and I can see why he chose it, but for those with champaign tastes and a beer budget, there are some pretty good double tops that may be had without going deep into debt. Brian Dunn (now retired) was building a very nice double top. Wolfgang Jellinghaus is making a signature model that is patterned after Dammann's double top. I am importing one for a client currently.

Love the video, this Barrio piece is one of my favorites.

James

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical